Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Second quick shot if required.

Another option that I have discovered being lefthanded, if you keep left hand on trigger, you can use right hand to work the bolt. Only works when rifle is on a bench or bipod but that makes for very quick follow up shots on bunnies with my 17hmr
    northdude likes this.

These blokes show how it is done https://youtu.be/Q4Wkz58rZOw
    In the end it falls down to two things . The right setup for the job and a lot of practice .

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Another option that I have discovered being lefthanded, if you keep left hand on trigger, you can use right hand to work the bolt. Only works when rifle is on a bench or bipod but that makes for very quick follow up shots on bunnies with my 17hmr
    So right handed people should use left hand actions to speed things up?
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    These blokes show how it is done https://youtu.be/Q4Wkz58rZOw
    In the end it falls down to two things . The right setup for the job and a lot of practice .
    Impressive. And that's with 90 degree Mausers. Someone, please send them a Lee.

But seriously, a good habit to get into even if you reclose on an empty chamber.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    I agree - reload as quick as you can.

Sako lever action, effin bloody quick!
    As above. Winchester 88 in the safe is as good as Sako lever I used to have,sold in a moment of stupidity.
    Finnwolf likes this.

Lever action would be my pick.

I have seen people so fixated on brass collection, stuff around ejecting empty shells and wasting precious time getting another round up the spout instead of dealing to the job in hand and seen the deer run off...head shaking stuff.
    woods223 and Russian 22. like this.

Skip to 17 minutes in

Sauer bolt gun vrs locally produced HK G3

https://youtu.be/4cnAwRJc7Sw
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Fullbore target guys do this - keeps trigger hand in place and leaves left paw for bolt manipulation and ammo placement...
    On a left or right action rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Skip to 17 minutes in

Sauer bolt gun vrs locally produced HK G3

https://youtu.be/4cnAwRJc7Sw
    Amazing speed of the bolt action shooter. If you continue after the G3 shooter there is a leftie shooter which shows the setup of the rifle sling.

The G3 shows some nice mag changes work, the guy shooting it is in the home guards (HV), is the G3 still their service weapon?

The Norse G3s have unique slots cut into the side of the bolt - visible in the clip - to allow you to force the bolt ahead into battery without the usual noisy procedure of letting the charging handle fly forwards under its own spring power, really crap for giving your position away half a km in the open on a quiet day. Up in the rocky Norse fjells must be audible even further.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Have a fair bit of experience with bolt rifles, but unfortunately only in the African bush. Opted solution was to go big and my go to rifle for the bush was a CZ 550 in 375 H&H shooting 300gr Nosler accubond for larger game and a trusty 308 180gr for smaller game and bushpigs. The only experience thus from my side is what I can read and watch on the net and importantly learn from you guys.

The fastest rifle I ever had the pleasure of shooting (excluding auto’s )was a Merkel Helix in 9.3x62. This also got me interested in the Blaser, until I had one in my hands and trying the speed load nicked my nose with the bold. Operator?... perhaps but the one thing that I learned was that a internal straight bolt is a preferred option, personally. Love the Merkel, but they are pricey and thus the interest in the Maral. Seems like they are also relatively accurate for longer shots.

Suppose a 308 would be enough gun for thick bush? See some guys also recommend lever actions, any recommendations?

Double, well that is also a option and dream, but also relatively expensive one?

Cheers
    R93 and csmiffy like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 300LRH View Post
    Have a fair bit of experience with bolt rifles, but unfortunately only in the African bush. Opted solution was to go big and my go to rifle for the bush was a CZ 550 in 375 H&H shooting 300gr Nosler accubond for larger game and a trusty 308 180gr for smaller game and bushpigs. The only experience thus from my side is what I can read and watch on the net and importantly learn from you guys.

The fastest rifle I ever had the pleasure of shooting (excluding auto’s )was a Merkel Helix in 9.3x62. This also got me interested in the Blaser, until I had one in my hands and trying the speed load nicked my nose with the bold. Operator?... perhaps but the one thing that I learned was that a internal straight bolt is a preferred option, personally. Love the Merkel, but they are pricey and thus the interest in the Maral. Seems like they are also relatively accurate for longer shots.

Suppose a 308 would be enough gun for thick bush? See some guys also recommend lever actions, any recommendations?

Double, well that is also a option and dream, but also relatively expensive one?

Cheers
    I have run a blaser for over 25 yrs in both LA and SA configurations. Never hit my nose.
    Dont think I am particularly fast with it but when I was meat hunting for a dollar I often cleaned up 2 and sometimes 3 animals before they knew what was going on.
    Way faster than any crank bolt, for me at least.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Never had any issues with a bolt and fast reload. Never lain awake at night worrying about one getting away in this situation. The first shot is nearly always the best shot. Most hit but not down animals will give you a second chance with a bolt action. If you use a decent calibre and projectile design for the animal and range it is at. For me the benefits of a good bolt action far outweigh any advantages another action type might have over it. So saying that, on multiples for pest control on the job you cant beat a good semi.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have run a blaser for over 25 yrs in both LA and SA configurations. Never hit my nose.
    Like I said, perhaps operator error, but have never given them a second thought as a quick straight pull option, but as a switch barrel setup, well that is whole other story.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 300LRH View Post
    Like I said, perhaps operator error, but have never given them a second thought as a quick straight pull option, but as a switch barrel setup, well that is whole other story.
    Was a weak attempt at a joke. Insinuating you might have a big nose.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.