Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Leave pack in DOC hut?

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    If I left my sleeping bag on a bunk I would expect it to be there on return that evening, not on the floor.
    Yeah sorry tetawa so would i...... just incase he was thinking of leaving gear in huts overnight on unoccupied bunk etc

Have and do and will do agian

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Leave it in huts don't worry but most a walk from the road.
    Mind you years ago somebody was flogging gear in the Kaimanawas ? and stashing it in cave.
    At least I think that was the story others might know a bit more.

Yes back in the late 80's or there about's. Two guys were raiding huts, some on the private blocks (North Arm) and taking camping equipment, ammo etc while the hunters were out in the field. Occurred over the summer/roar until the police conducted a stake out and located the stash in a made made dug out into a hill. Can't remember if the two guys were actually charged? I use to have the news clipping as one showed a pic of culprits hideout. A extremely rare thing to occur i feel this type of situation?
    erniec likes this.

For several social and practical reasons it’s pretty uncommon to have gear stolen from a hut. Keas and rats must have trashed more than all human scumbags combined.

Having said that, any stick books, chocolate or sweetened condensed milk left on the table would be at risk.

Totally agree with Bagheera.
    I have had stashed gear in the bush & under huts to only have mice/rodents eat their way through some things - especially during a beech mast period a few years ago. So a good robust rodent proof container required.
    It would have to be extremely bad luck that another person moved/took some gear left on a bunk while you were out in the field.

Banned
    Have always left gear in the hut.
    (In high traffic huts I don't leave shiny attractive things lying around in plain view. Knives, diamonds whatnot. Best someone not be tempted.)
    I tend to pack my clothing before other people leave, if its been hung up or something - if you're going to lose anything it will be someone mistaking one of your shirts or socks for one of theirs. Honest mistakes I mean.