Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Light weight food options

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    The Radix Meals are alright and not full of the shot in BCs. Servings are not bullshit like backcountry. They take less water which is huge on saving gas on the hill. The breakfasts are mint and don't need hot water however are nicer warm. The dinners have a similar/slightly more calories than a backcountry double serving and the ingredients list is all food not preservative 362 or whatever. The breakfasts have quite a bit more calories that a double serve bc. I find eating these I feel way better than with BCs. Then midday I snack away on typical lightweight shit. If your walking in I'd say they pay for themselves just by only needing half the water that Backcountries do.
    That's good to know for suture for sure, cheers mate. Unfortunately yesterday I did a pretty excessive BC order that I hope will last me almost a year haha.

MB
    OSM. I hate them, probably more than Backcountry meals, but they do the job as a source of fuel.
    northdude likes this.

Dates !!
    Can survive of just Dates
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Dates !!
    Can survive of just Dates
    Dates and toilet paper. Preferably four ply plush.

in the latest wilderness mag (there i admit I buy it ) it suggest going stove free to save weight. Couscous, rice lentils,hummus, ramen beans oats and mashed spud all work well cold soaked. Now just think about eating Hummus (whatever that is ) beans and mashed spud cold and backcountry seems like a good option. But I know where you are coming from as a good idea in the kitchen at home is not so appertizing when half of it is burnt into the bottom of you pan because you looked away for 10 seconds
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    in the latest wilderness mag (there i admit I buy it ) it suggest going stove free to save weight. Couscous, rice lentils,hummus, ramen beans oats and mashed spud all work well cold soaked. Now just think about eating Hummus (whatever that is ) beans and mashed spud cold and backcountry seems like a good option. But I know where you are coming from as a good idea in the kitchen at home is not so appertizing when half of it is burnt into the bottom of you pan because you looked away for 10 seconds
    Yeah plus cold soaked coffee isn't really a go-to for me. I'd be willing to give the rest of it a crack (maybe) but I'm not willing to sacrifice (arguably) the most socially acceptable form of addiction on the planet - coffee.
    Got-ya and Steelisreal like this.

coffee is a food group!!
    vege and fruit sure isnt
    Edunn likes this.

Can’t really go past the cheese and salami as a lunch. However I have started eating them in wraps because I found crackers very bulky where as you can take a couple of bags of wraps and lay them flat in your pack and essentially take up no room. I’ve even started slicing up salami and cheese before I go and lay it out flat in the bag with the wraps too and it means I can pack all my lunch food without using any room in my pack
    Hewie, Moa Hunter, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by High Country Boy View Post
    Can’t really go past the cheese and salami as a lunch. However I have started eating them in wraps because I found crackers very bulky where as you can take a couple of bags of wraps and lay them flat in your pack and essentially take up no room. I’ve even started slicing up salami and cheese before I go and lay it out flat in the bag with the wraps too and it means I can pack all my lunch food without using any room in my pack
    That's jolly organised of you!

I guess after a few days on the hill and in the sun the wraps are pretty much crackers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by High Country Boy View Post
    Yeah, crackers end up being one big bag of crumbs by the later days of the trip

During the 80’s when full time in the West taupo bush, I experimented with food. A loaf of vogels, a jar of jam and a block of cheese were my staples for three meals a day. Carbos, fat and sugars right there. Drank water or green tea.
    Hewie, Tommy, Moa Hunter and 2 others like this.

Banned
    I have to agree with Sarvo on the dates. 400 grm packet yields 5040KJ of energy with a low glycemic index for a buy price of $2.50.
    100 grms of peanut butter yields 2488 KJ. and 26.7 grams of ok protein for $1.30 (PIC'S)
    Cheese is nice but ups water consumption.
    The wraps idea is really good.
    Arnotts Vitaweat crackers 1750 KJ energy and 12.3 grams protein / 100gm
    Bacon is bad, the preservatives are bacterial enzyme inhibitors and inhibit our own digestive enzymes, taxing our bodies and reducing our digestive efficiency. Same goes for a lot of salami type stuff. The home made Jerky must be a lot better.
    A loaf of Vogals is hard to beat.
    Danny, Ingrid 51, Sarvo and 2 others like this.

Had 4slices of Vogels and a tin of sardines for lunch last time I went in. Sardines weigh 140g in an aluminium tin.
    Danny likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Wraps, cheese slices, a stick of salami, an allow for one osm bar a day, summer time I find a but tricky tho as it's such a long time between meals, so delay breakfast till later in the morning if able to. When it comes to BC meals shop around abit if ordering alot as generally one of the outdoor sports shops will give a really good deal like torpedo 7 etc, the last order I did I managed to save just over $200. For anyone looking at radix meals I suggest trying a couple first before buying lots as they deffinatly arnt for everyone.

Agree about the Radix meals. Their breakfasts taste very artificial to me