Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Light weight food options

Just started on the radix last weekend. Thought it was tasty but maybe on the smaller side, might take a little bit of COus cous to bulk it up

Quote Originally Posted by High Country Boy View Post
    Just started on the radix last weekend. Thought it was tasty but maybe on the smaller side, might take a little bit of COus cous to bulk it up
    It's definitely not nessarrily as filling but I find it's enough calories usually. Unlike if you eat two serves of BCs and I feel full but the next day feel shit. The radixs aren't perfect but they are good in terms of nutrition and calories making sure plenty come from fat. They are tasty enough and the premise is they are made to live off.

I find the absolute wilderness meals better than the radix and backcountry ones. Taste and look like actual food and are pretty compact so don’t take up too much room in the pack
    Cowboy, Dama dama, r87mm and 1 others like this.

I have tried a few of radix meals, breakfast, dinner ect. To me they taste bland. The nutritional value is good but I came to the conclusion that if I cannot force it down when I am at home, I will struggle with it when I am out in no mans land and probably not eat the whole meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redaxler View Post
    I have tried a few of radix meals, breakfast, dinner ect. To me they taste bland. The nutritional value is good but I came to the conclusion that if I cannot force it down when I am at home, I will struggle with it when I am out in no mans land and probably not eat the whole meal.

I find the opposite. When in the Bush with bugger all tucker around even crappy food tastes good when you're knackered

If were talking about actual lightweight meals then its a comparison between the dehy and freeze dry models. Diy is alright but a fair bit of effort. Note you can make a really good dehy hummus at home. For me the winner by a mile is absolute wilderness. Good amounts and mostly tasty af. I carry them with my wish copy of the jet boil, for lunch. Epic and bugger going back to crackers etc like thw preceding 20yrs. AW have a few beauts. Moca rice pudding omg. Bacon mash is super nice and mushrrom risotto.
    I fill them up and use a little extra water, than pop them d9wn my shirt and carry on. Its nice an warm and beats sitting around waiting. Theres a couole asian meals they have that are great too. The butter chicken needs refi ing tho.
    BC meals i had on and of at times since 1988 or so. They were horrid back then and some flavours still are. I cant believe the duleys put up with it. It must be a great sponsorship deal to go through eating that.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    If were talking about actual lightweight meals then its a comparison between the dehy and freeze dry models. Diy is alright but a fair bit of effort. Note you can make a really good dehy hummus at home. For me the winner by a mile is absolute wilderness. Good amounts and mostly tasty af. I carry them with my wish copy of the jet boil, for lunch. Epic and bugger going back to crackers etc like thw preceding 20yrs. AW have a few beauts. Moca rice pudding omg. Bacon mash is super nice and mushrrom risotto.
    I fill them up and use a little extra water, than pop them d9wn my shirt and carry on. Its nice an warm and beats sitting around waiting. Theres a couole asian meals they have that are great too. The butter chicken needs refi ing tho.
    BC meals i had on and of at times since 1988 or so. They were horrid back then and some flavours still are. I cant believe the duleys put up with it. It must be a great sponsorship deal to go through eating that.
    Might have to give these absolute wilderness meals a hoon. Moca rice pud sounds like the business.

One of the BC meals I'd serve at home is the carrot cake and custard. I was first introduced to it middle of winter last year on a tahr trip. We'd walked about four hours in the dark, got up above the bushline and had carrot cake and custard for brekki while the sun rose. By far the best part of the trip. Hunting was OK.

Second best part was sitting on the spotting scope with a bottle of whisky from the other side of the valley watching our mate climb high and nail a good bull. That was bloody exciting.
    Danny and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jknavara View Post
    I find the absolute wilderness meals better than the radix and backcountry ones. Taste and look like actual food and are pretty compact so don’t take up too much room in the pack
    Me too. I would touch back country with a barge pole. I can’t stand the taste of it.
    I’ve been using the Go Native MREs lately.
    Nick.m likes this.

Light weight food options

I have been using a bit of Wilderness with spud chucked in. Mixed with dates, raisens, cheese chocolate for day munchies. Bananas and a pack of sausages always make the trip in too.
    Did a buy up last week of BC, so-be-it, it is light and as far as I’m concerned a cream cracker with marmite on them is a delight after a day on the hill.

Moa Hunter likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Redaxler View Post

I have no issue eating them. I hate most of the back country's nutrition over taste any day. Radixs likely don't have as much salt as your used too in BCs. I'm not saying they are the best tasting as some others taste great but a few days eating them and I find I get sore and don't have the same motivation as if I was properly nourished. My snacks are where I get my extra flavour. The breakfasts I think are about as good as any breakfast options I've had but I might have to try the mocha rice pudding as that could make a nice treat every coupla days. Also I find the radixs easier to eat than the 2 serve backcountrys I feel I'm forcing the last 1/4 whereas the radixs I reckon id have a fair go at 2 sometimes.

Best tasting I think have bee the kawekas of good nature but the aren't even kind of light for the amount of calories you should be taking with you.
    Danny likes this.

I guess it comes back to our own personal tastes are, I ended up giving away the last half a dozen or so radix meals as I couldn't eat them, an I know that the last few of those meals are now on their 3rd or 4th owner as they had similar experiences to me. Then again some of the BC meals arnt to great either but they do have about 20 or so different flavors so generally there is something there people like, they did go through a ownership change a couple of years ago an I found that the meals improved after this an have been happy with them. One trick is that if you are doing a longer trip of 10-14 days tip the meals into small zip lock glad bags and just eat them out of the billy (if there's no shortage of water etc) as requires little more water to wash up after but the bulk that it save in your pack is massive.

Who was on-selling Absolute Wildness foods on here?
    I found them good.
    Dan M

For breakfast I mix quick oats, milk powder and milo or other hot chocolate powder. Once in the hills add hot water and eat.

I must be a weirdo, I love the back country meals and only ever eat the single serves, twin serves is too much for me.

For breakfasts I take in a box of museli and milk powder and lunches are normally crackers, cheese or museli bars, just the Tasti ones, some home made biltong is always good but the mates normally pinch it, not much energy in it either.

If you eat a big breakfast it just makes you hungry for the day.

I'm happy to run in a calorie deficit for a few days.
    veitnamcam, matagouri and MB like this.

MB
    No, you're not the only one, I don't dislike the Asian-inspired Backcountry meals. I skip the European flavour meals though.

Unfortunately, I can't run on a calorie deficit. I don't get hangry, just weak and pathetic.