Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Man dies while hunting......

6 guys spotlighting the same area, at least two vehicles then, what are they upto?

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Ive shit more than enough deer now.... Im not overly fussed on them as food.... If I dont have a good shot or an easy/ok retreive I just wont take it....

Like aunty sneeze says really....

They keep saying that more often than not its the experienced guys but its not its the guys that hunt once or twice a year or young guys out on the light time and time again.............

Now I used to spotlight a hell of alot and deer really stick out like dogsballs in the light, the bastards literally glow.. So what the hell are they upto...
    Baldbob I agree but you say the deer" glow" there lies the problem . 20 years ago nobody had head lamps , everybody that goes bush has 2or more . This shoot for the deers eyes thing fucking annoys me when I hear some dick head say they got one that way .I don't no if this is the case here , but there's been two that Im aware about . Will get worse before it gets better , Christ you can get a 1000 luman torch for pocket money nowadays

Ive shit more than enough deer now.... Im not overly fussed on them as food.... If I dont have a good shot or an easy/ok retreive I just wont take it....

They keep saying that more often than not its the experienced guys but its not its the guys that hunt once or twice a year or young guys out on the light time and time again.............

Now I used to spotlight a hell of alot and deer really stick out like dogsballs in the light, the bastards literally glow.. So what the hell are they upto...
    Im with you on this,I can understand how it could happen(even tho it never should if the rules are obeyed) in the bush in the roar.
    But to shoot some one in the spotlight hell I can clearly see the difference between a sheep/cow/deer at 3 times the distance I would shoot in the light and non of them look anything like a human.
    I think most of these cases must be inexperience. Ie they think its a deer but dont know because they havnt seen enough of them to know what they look like.
    I take out a few new to hunting types and it amazes me every time they just cant see animals you are trying to show them, or they are adamant that small bush is a deer
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Just how can there be a debate or misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the statement .... identify your target...?????

The comparisons made between road fatalities and deaths by improper and irresponsible use of firearms is pretty much a pond without a maimai...there is little emotive sensationalism in MVAs these days, unless one is personally involved or has family connections...the average motorist does not view their pride and joy as one of the worlds most vindictive, relentless and ruthless killers and maimers.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Just how can there be a debate or misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the statement .... identify your target...?????
    My brain is 100% certain that squares A and B are different colors in the picture below, but they're exactly the same shade of grey.

Our senses are remarkably fallible mate. I think the key is to minimise situations where they can be tricked. Not shooting at night, on foot, while separate from your hunting mates seems to be a good first step. A few of the recent deaths have been due to this.

Regardless, it's a tragedy for all involved

EDIT: And yeah, there's no debate really. If everyone identified their target beyond doubt, accidental shootings would almost be a non-occurance.
    Last edited by Josh; 29-04-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Just how can there be a debate or misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the statement .... identify your target...????
    Theres a debate?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I suppose" Aunty" is small step up from " Mr gay turrets" so thanks Little bobby..

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

Our senses are remarkably fallible mate.
    Unfortunatly many people fail to understand this, many of them get through life without suffering any major concequences because of it but a few dont.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I feel tougher licencing in the sense of security is also something to be looked at, Ideally I think that one licence for all A and E firearms and another for b+c's would do it, making security to the latter in both instances such as the 6mm safes etc etc....

but seriously maybe the arms officers need to be a bit more stringent on sorting the idiots out and perhaps making it compulsary to attend a firearms safety course once a year so everyone is constantly going over what you can and cannot do and knows full well.....

those are my ideas which might improve on what is a tragedy.... not only that the lefty media will jump on the band wagon soon enough you watch.... Look at banksie(I know no politics but its an example).....

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post

Unfortunatly many people fail to understand this, many of them get through life without suffering any major concequences because of it but a few dont.
    Yes, that may be true, but it is no excuse is it?
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Yes, that may be true, but it is no excuse is it?
    No of course not, the responsibility always rests with the shooter,there may be influencing factors like a couple of mates yelling "theres one get it get it" but it still comes back to the guy with his finger on the trigger.What I'm saying here is look at WHY the shooter failed to identify the target.Its not as simple as "hes just a wanker" or "stupid prick should never have been give a FAL". Id put decent wedge on the shooters often being normal run of mill the guys that you would have been happy to go hunting with.His mates obviously were. So what happened?Why did he make the wrong decision and pull the trigger? What makes a guy risk the lives of his mates for the sake of a feed of venison?
    Of all the investigations into accidents air accidents are probably the most in depth, as a result one of the exams you have to pass to gain a pilots license is Human Factors, alot of which is about decision making.The aviation industry recognizes the frailty's of the human brain and puts procedures in place to mitigate the effect and make flying as safe as it can be.Hunters and shooters don't have the CAA looking after us so we have to do it our selves.
    Dead is better likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I feel tougher licencing in the sense of security is also something to be looked at, Ideally I think that one licence for all A and E firearms and another for b+c's would do it, making security to the latter in both instances such as the 6mm safes etc etc....
    I think there should be some practical tests. I mean you can get a frikken firearms license and have never operated a gun! They don't show you that or even let you hold one. Where's the practical training? You should be able to prove you know how to use a firearm before you get a license. Hell, we don't let teenagers out in cars themselves without sitting practical driving tests. Why do we let people out with guns and no practical knowledge?

I'm not sure security is really going to change anything. Perhaps a safe should be required, but that's not going to stop people getting shot.

Regarding the 6mm safe thing, where's this come from? When my brother got his A-cat license about 6 months ago the arms officer came around he wouldn't approve my gun safe saying it's wasn't 6mm. I said "You want to show me that in the arms code? No? It's not there! What a surprise. Then I would think this steel safe that is bolted to the concrete floor and bolted to the concrete wall with 6 concrete bolts is enough to "deter a casual thief" then wouldn't you say?". He ended up approving it after that. To my knowledge that's just another instance of the police making random restrictions up and trying to push them on us.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    My brain is 100% certain that squares A and B are different colors in the picture below, but they're exactly the same shade of grey.

Our senses are remarkably fallible mate. I think the key is to minimise situations where they can be tricked. Not shooting at night, on foot, while separate from your hunting mates seems to be a good first step. A few of the recent deaths have been due to this.

Regardless, it's a tragedy for all involved

EDIT: And yeah, there's no debate really. If everyone identified their target beyond doubt, accidental shootings would almost be a non-occurance.
    Off but on topic, I was going to tell you your full of shite Josh. There was no way in hell square A and square B are the same shade of grey (until I checked in paint)

I dont know more corses will teach people how to ID the target....It may help though

I was at a camp site a weekend before this one and we setup on dark, Did a quick torch around afterwards (one of those fancy LED ones not a spot light) and bingo a set of eyes, Watched them for a while, showed the others but could only see one eye this time.

AT NO TIME DID WE EVEN CONSIDER A SHOT!

Guns were left in the tent, Next morning I figured someone must have put some reflectors up as it was still there (I could beleive how bright and green the reflectors were!) but the night before with the wind etc I could have sworn it wasn't reflectors as you couldn't always see them, branches blowing in the way? We went up and checked it out and yip reflectors in a bush, Now this was just above a main walking track and there were several holes in the board they were mounted on as well as broken branches around it....some real bad shots and this was on DOC land

ID The target

my thoughts go out to the families of those involved.

People please ID beyond doubt, Bino before lifting the rifle as it gives time for the brain to engage before getting the trigger finger ready
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Off but on topic, I was going to tell you your full of shite Josh. There was no way in hell square A and square B are the same shade of grey (until I checked in paint)
    It's a great illusion Really shows how easily our eyes can be tricked "beyond doubt" by some well placed shadows.

It's a bit easier if you put a bar of color between them then compare each square.

4am ? On the piss ?