Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Mangaturutu Hut Kaweka Forest Park

Mangaturutu Hut Kaweka Forest Park

Got a nephew keen on a fly in trip next roar to the Kawekas ,probably flying in from Taihape/Napier road side of the range somewhere , so huts on the western side like the Manson and Otutu were our first choice but they are booked up till end of April . I would be keen to go then but my Nephew is a keen duckshooter so end of April clashes with that!!
    Nephew was looking at other Huts and suggested Mangaturutu , a bit longer flying time but looking on the map and a few photos it seem like there's a few options if based there.
    So any info would be much appreciated!. cheers

DOC huts in the Kaweka are public huts and open to all comers, they cannot be booked. If an operator is flying a party into a hut, then generally they won't drop another party in on top of them but that doesn't mean another operator won't. There is nothing to stop trampers or hunters who walk in staying there, they are public huts.
    Nathan F, tetawa, Monk and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Remutaka View Post
    DOC huts in the Kaweka are public huts and open to all comers, they cannot be booked. If an operator is flying a party into a hut, then generally they won't drop another party in on top of them but that doesn't mean another operator won't. There is nothing to stop trampers or hunters who walk in staying there, they are public huts.
    Another operator shouldnt drop a party in on top of you , i thought that was the whole point of the booking system. And i do realise anyone can walk in there as well. But thanks for the reply mate!

The huts cannot be booked, however the helipad becomes unavailable to land on when booked, so other parties should not be landed on top of a legitimately booked party. Anyone can walk in and stay at a hut on a first come basis, this is the situation in the Kaweka Forest Park, not general over the rest of NZ. Mangaturutu hunters generally hunt back towards Te Puke which works well with the topography and the predominant westerly winds, however it is quite high and cloud can be an issue. It is a good spot, Venison Tops is about 2.5 hours away to the south west so need to be mindful of where they might be hunting in the Makino catchment, and there is some seriously steep country in parts and some lovely hunting in others just like everywhere else I guess. It doesn't get much hunting pressure though.
    Micky Duck and 30late like this.

Hiya, I have flown in with my Dad a few years ago late December/early January.
    High deer numbers when I was last in there but deer were all pretty poor condition and skinny.
    As mentioned there are good patches of open tops back towards Te Puke and some pretty good bush hunting to the North of the hut.
    It's an awesome spot.
    Micky Duck and 30late like this.
    "A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact " - Aldo Leopold

There were some half reasonable Sika heads in there back in the day

Name:  05 scan0002.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  485.4 KB

And on a trip down memory lane, still some silly deer about.
    Still a very smoky fireplace though

Name:  148 Mangaturutu hut Kaweka's.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  1.07 MB
    Nathan F, cmore, Ruger7mm and 8 others like this.

Last year Mangaturutu received 4 airborne visits, and to date this year has received 5 visits. A mate of mine walked over from Venison Tops to Mangaturutu a few weeks ago and spooked a stag about 30-40m from the hut door on the track. He couldn't fire as he didn't know if people were around the hut, as it turned out no one was at home and the stag walked free.
    Micky Duck, 30late and Ned like this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    I’ve usually found Venison Tops a better option, although Te Puke is pretty good.
    From memory the fireplace at Mangatarutu isn’t that great.
    Plenty of options hunting wise
    7mmsaum likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Te Puke is a great spot, so many options regardless of wind direction!

I am flying into Otutu this Friday, and had Manson hut for a week last April.
    Both awesome spots!
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    Te Puke is a great spot, so many options regardless of wind direction!

I am flying into Otutu this Friday, and had Manson hut for a week last April.
    Both awesome spots!
    Enjoy Otutu. Great spot.
    BSA270 and Sika 8 like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Cheers Tahr, looking forward to it as always
    Tahr likes this.

Mangaturutu is well worth a look. That ridge up from the Makino puts off a fair few foot hunters. Theres steep stuff in there but its mostly well huntable.

You’ve got the Mangturutu faces, steep but worth a look, the upper Makino which is a bit better and the Omar heads which is really nice hunting.
    30late likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Mangaturutu is well worth a look. That ridge up from the Makino puts off a fair few foot hunters. Theres steep stuff in there but its mostly well huntable.

You’ve got the Mangturutu faces, steep but worth a look, the upper Makino which is a bit better and the Omar heads which is really nice hunting.
    Agreed, that Omar catchment is mint all the way to the Ngaruroro

Thanks for all the replies guys, Nephew has booked Mangaturutu hut/helipad for mid/late April 2025 so looking forward to that.
    Off course i will put up a trip report in due course .
    Its good being able to book 12mths in advance, you cant do that with the Ruahines ,think its about october before any bookings made for April are confirmed. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    There were some half reasonable Sika heads in there back in the day

And on a trip down memory lane, still some silly deer about.
    Still a very smoky fireplace though

@NIMROD

Bet you walked there too? What route you guys use back then?