Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Moose !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Tribit, could you please elaborate? It's always good to here more info on the topic.
    Major rumours went round at the time that the hair had come off a tanned skin. The tested hair did not have follicle tips on it which indicated than it had been treated.

I also know the guy that planted it so there's another clue.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    There's no doubt we all live in hope. Imagine the headlines if there was indisputable evidence a moose were discovered alive! So yes, its great that an animal which might have last been seen in the mid-1970's can generate so much interest.

1970's?

Yes, evidently. If I recall correctly it was around 1974 and the sighting was made by a very well known Forest Service worker.

Would I shoot one if I stumbled across one...? No way in hell would I pull the trigger. Would I tell the world I saw one? Probably not until I was on my deathbed.
    I' be cheering from the front row if one was found.
    Grandpamac.

R93
    I know someone who brought moose hair back from overseas in order to plant it.
    He didn't plant it as soon as some home truths were explained to him.
    Anyone who would do that for a laugh is as stupid as they come imo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I know someone who brought moose hair back from overseas in order to plant it.
    He didn't plant it as soon as some home truths were explained to him.
    Anyone who would do that for a laugh is as stupid as they come imo.

What are these home truths? illegal according to biosecurity act? different sub species than nz moose?

R93
    All of the above. And just what a wank thing it is to do.
    Wasting peoples time and money knowingly is just a cock move.

Pretty sure there is also a slight diff in DNA due to where NZ moose originated. But not a hundy on that.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribrit View Post
    Major rumours went round at the time that the hair had come off a tanned skin. The tested hair did not have follicle tips on it which indicated than it had been treated.

I also know the guy that planted it so there's another clue.
    Ok. Not really factual though offering hints and knowledge of rumours. Not digging at you, but rumours is how a myth or legend is created. The Moose existing or not, is a potential reality either way. Facts supporting either case can't be ignored. I'd like to think they still exist, but I feel it is highly unlikely they do.

Bos
    Yea me to;, Id like to think they still exist down there but unlikely. But not impossible
    I've read Ken Tustins book and very interesting. I personally know two of the guys who found hair and had it positively identified back in 2001. Ken refers to this in his book and the only reason these guys thought it was even worth testing was because of the "browse height" which they said was well above what they could reach, and definitely higher than any deer or Wap could reach even standing on its hind legs.
    Does make you wonder

My two cents without having an idea of the environment they were spotted in except it's probably step terrain with cold streams and alpine lakes, is that a Moose in summer bulks up on aquatic vegetation for calories and sodium load, you'd think by now one would have been spotted in the water, also younger bulls during rut travel miles looking for a mate and are pretty much fearless, the fact a roaring Wapiti hunter hasn't been charged by a love-sick moose never mind heard one is strange if they did exist. But I wouldn't know how remote this area of the fiordland is so anything could be possible.

Listen to the Educated Hunter Podcast, Ben sounds very convinced what he saw was a moose, and given his straight up personality and experience spotting moose, there seems no reason as to why he would make up a yarn. I've always believed there are still moose in there somewhere, I've heard enough rumors from locals over the years to keep the spark alive, and knowing the country reasonably well, I can see how a small population could live there without being found. We had four wild Angus bulls hiding in 700ha of pine forest and you'd ocassionally see them, or a bit of sign, took 8 years before we managed to track them down in a spot where we could catch them
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Did you have your red cape @JoshC for that show down
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Did you have your red cape @JoshC for that show down
    Several red cape moments, where one was thankful for numerous trees to hide behind.
    Sideshow likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

judging by Tv footage etc ive seen Josh Id sooner you than me when i comes to dealing with those wild cattle some give the appearance of bull elephants with a bad case of PMT!

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    judging by Tv footage etc ive seen Josh Id sooner you than me when i comes to dealing with those wild cattle some give the appearance of bull elephants with a bad case of PMT!
    As teenage boys we thought it was fun to chase them around. Funny how perspectives change as we age a bit

I thought all Angus are wild