Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Mountain bike, hunting, and Red Stag

I intend doing a bike hunt this summer.

Name:  IMG_6206.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  2.02 MB
    Welcome to Sako club.

I've done a few trips into one spot using my MTB to knock off the first 5 k's of 4WD track and stashing the bike in the bush while walking further in. Definitely saves some time and was welcome on the way out when the legs were shagged. With a pack full of meat, I found it easier standing on the pedals most of the way out rather than sitting down. That 4WD track has a fairly steady grade though, so there was a lot of coasting.

Don't forget to increase your tyre and rear shock pressure to compensate for the additional weight. I'm keeping my eye out for a single-wheel trailer, I reckon that would be much better than trying to carry it on your back.

[QUOTE=summitdogracing;379528]There is a growing number of hunters here in the US using mountain bikes on their hunts. The lack of engine noise and the smell of petrol is allowing them to get closer to the game, mainly deer and mainly bow hunters.

Is there much use of MB in NZ for hunting? I am sure that the terrain to too rugged for their use with tahr but maybe for red deer. The use of child carriers/bike trailers have been used for hauling out the meat.

This is a a good post Scotty. I haven't thought about taking an MTB hunting before, but this has given me an idea..!

Got myself a suron last year . Use it only for hunting.It’s electric and is not as big as a dirt bike but more like a mtb. The thing is nuts , straight uphill with a full pack on . Shit it can go some places . Real impressed so far . It did 65km on a charge last time of rolling kinda country . Only makes a bit of chain noise . Now I’m a bit longer in the tooth I can get a fair way into places quickly and quietly and not be stuffed from walking in with a heavy pack . Just get straight into hunting . Name:  E3E8E2DD-0BB8-4A5F-84BC-88D9E5CA7D25.jpeg
Views: 304
Size:  52.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Oh my god if they are the original tires you dam near stole it.
    Mine was 8k sticker price in 2000 and I sold it maybe 4 years later for 3k from memory. A week was as good as I ever got out of a rear and a month out of a front. Usually less.
    if tyres crap out that quickly..the reliability factor would come into play if hunting.....be a right shit carting out a bike as well as your pack...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

[/QUOTE]The lack of engine noise and the smell of petrol is allowing them to get closer to the game, mainly deer and mainly bow hunters. [/QUOTE]

Methinks the aroma of the pulsating, sweating human on board the bicycle will be the give away clue to any deer, long before petrol fumes start to raise their head
    Eat Meater likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendogg View Post
    Got myself a suron last year . Use it only for hunting.It’s electric and is not as big as a dirt bike but more like a mtb. The thing is nuts , straight uphill with a full pack on . Shit it can go some places . Real impressed so far . It did 65km on a charge last time of rolling kinda country . Only makes a bit of chain noise . Now I’m a bit longer in the tooth I can get a fair way into places quickly and quietly and not be stuffed from walking in with a heavy pack . Just get straight into hunting . Attachment 229857
    I think you are being a bit hard on dirt bikes, calling them more like MTB's. They are waay better designed and sprung than a MTB, for what you are using it for. Have been keen to pick one up, to add to the arsenal

@Rendogg

I’ve been eyeing one up. They look lighter and more nimble that a UBCO. I’ve been using an e-bike, but you obviously have to pedal!
    Can you lift your bike over a gate? There’s a couple of places I go that are public access, but there’s gates to keep 4x4s out.
    Can you take the battery out? Usually that’s quite heavy.
    Cheers.

Website says 50 ish kgs, with a 10 kg removable battery, so you could get it down to 40-45 kgs. That's do-able for a fit strong bugger

In several areas I used to frequent I stashed a wooden plank in the scrub, and used it as a ramp to ride over.

A wee word of warning...mudbugs do not take kindly to taking to the air......

Enduro bikes with chrome moly frames and a foot of suspension travel on the other hand, found it a doddle.
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    @Rendogg

I’ve been eyeing one up. They look lighter and more nimble that a UBCO. I’ve been using an e-bike, but you obviously have to pedal!
    Can you lift your bike over a gate? There’s a couple of places I go that are public access, but there’s gates to keep 4x4s out.
    Can you take the battery out? Usually that’s quite heavy.
    Cheers.
    Yep can get over gate but not real easily , can take battery out easy enough in about 20 secs. Mate had an ubco , got a replacement, now that’s crapped out . Bought a Suron the next day . Hasn’t looked back . It took me a year to get it over the line with the wife , now she’s had a few goes she wants her own one … then she’ll want to come hunting .. so be warned
    Shearer, Moa Hunter, XR500 and 1 others like this.

OK, tip for getting a bike that weighs only 50 ish kgs over a fence: Take a small roll of carpet in with you. Synthetic so it won't fall to pieces when stashed in the scrub over the years. Just a little bit wider than the length of your bike. (note: practise this technique before you head bush )

Drape over the fence. Needs to cover the top 4 wires both sides.

Walk bike up parallel with carpet covered fence. Wheelstand bike. (left hand rear brake makes this sooo much easier to do than with a conventional trail bike)

Gently flop the now vertical bike over onto the carpet, and assist it over the fence. Sur rons are great in that both sides of the bike are far less cluttered up with sticky poky out stuff, like conventional trail bikes and ubcos, so will slide over the carpet quite easily.

Stash carpet.

Continue on your way
    Wild Hunt likes this.