Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: New Hunter

New Hunter

Hi all,

Been a member for alittle bit now. Im wanting to get out there and get into hunting. I havent spent much time off trails etc, so my confidence is low in the outdoors
    Im wanting to get into hunting to provide for my family. I have a one year old son and im wanting to be able to take ny son hunting when hes older and teach him things and get him confident.

Basically what im after is some advice etc on how to gain my confidence so that I can one day feel comfortable going solo and taking my son.

Thanks All
    199p and TussockHunter like this.

Hi Bud, welcome. I dont know what your local branch is like but keen fellas like yourself get pretty well looked after at the local NZDA club down here. Plenty of club hunts for you to soak up skills from senior members and potentially the Hunts course if you're keen on that. Worth reaching out, maybe attending a meeting and seeing if its for you.
    Shearer, BSA270, Swanny and 1 others like this.

Start small, pick a patch of bush with some tracks you can cut across to and fro without the worry of getting too lost, learn how to read a gps/map. Mark your car or start point, slowly push further as you get it sussed. I never joined a club, just got into it. Went in circles for a while
    7mmwsm, mikee, MB and 1 others like this.

Would also recommend the HUNTS course with your local NZDA

They teach skills and confidence comes with skills

I have been lost twice in my life, once in the bush when I was five and once as an adult driving in Wellington. Both times I figured my own way out of it. The second time was no easier than the first.

Navigation is partly skills and partly confidence and you need a bit of both but once your doing it, it's actually fairly simple. But until your doing it, it is a big unknown with lots of variables.

If you feel like driving down to the Wairarapa one weekend, your welcome to come out for a day walk if you want a few tips on map reading and using a GPS and how to figure strategies to get from A to B and what to do when you find yourself at D.

Gibo is on to it get a GPS but also get a compass and learn how to use the WAMS mapping system - its called Walking Access mapping system one can change from aerial photos to topographical maps- take a map of the hunting block with you preferable laminated - leave a map with the wife and a time to push panic button if you dont show up ( we always used 10 am next day ) you may want it sooner - when you set out try to hunt in same catchment for a start - but you must be able to tell where you are in relation to the ridge and river systems in the area and be able to keep yourself orientated to them - as a general warning dont drop into rivers or streams to come out unless you have travelled them - many are simply not an easy job to travel down - gorges waterfalls can mean tiring climbing to get around - ridges are normally a lot better - but use a river or track system as a fixed point to hunt off if you can - the big danger in our bush is getting into a catchment over the ridge from the one you are in and the streams and river and ridges will be going in an opposite direction - that's when a GPS is valuable but have a compass and map as a back up - especially true if you go with someone who knows the area - fine when you are with them but if they disappear what then - and yes as others have said NZDA could be a wise move especially the hunts course - I was a hunts instructor years ago and its good
    Yeetziy likes this.

The other thing worth having is a PLB. My partner wouldn't go anywhere in the bush by herself before I got one for her, but on the same weekend that I gave it for her birthday, she decided to do a solo overnight trip four hours into the bush.
    It isn't just a thing that you don't need until you do need it. I would say she has got more value from the PLB than what I paid for it, jand she has never pressed the red button. It just gives her enough confidence to get out there on her own. If the red button day does come, then that little device will be worth more than its weight in gold.

Agree with the map thing above too, if you can navigate with a map and compass, the GPS becomes less of a crutch and more of a convenience.
    Arced likes this.

kind offer from you Longshot a good bugger
    Eat Meater likes this.

Sounds like you are a cautious person - that's a good start for staying safe in the bush. I would say a PLB is an absolute must, as mentioned above it gives you a bit of confidence where you might otherwise be worrying about "what ifs" when you're in a gut with no reception. GPS of some type is next, I kept mine on record when I started out so worst case I could retrace my steps. The other thing is just time, keep going out with your mates when you can and eventually you'll have the confidence to go out on your own. There's a shit load of deer down here in the Ruahines, you will have no problem filling your freezer once you get into the swing of things
    Yeetziy likes this.

Check out betterhunting.nz as well, it's free public-funded online hunter training - a good introduction to all the theory etc - as well as attending HUNTS. You've got a couple of years up your sleeve to build confidence before you take the kid out!

I'm still pretty novice myself but it's just getting out there, getting practice wandering off-track, learning an area - it gets easier every time. Your challenge may be finding the time away from young family as it's a big trade-off - but when I finally go bush for a morning I never regret it.
    Yeetziy likes this.
    Better Hunting: free online NZ hunter education from the NZGAC.
    (I work there in education; all views on NZHS just my own unless explicitly said otherwise)

Yes the better hunting course is well worth it even for seasoned hunters I know some who have done it and rate it. The best bit is its free and can be done at home
    LarryB and Yeetziy like this.
    Happy Jack.

Side note on the GPS/maps comments. Just get the NZ Topo (north island or South Island) app on your phone. Has your GPS location (even with no reception) and has Topo and satellite imaging. Has DOC hunting borders and a bunch of other neat features. Costs $7 - best value for money you can buy for any hunting kit
    Micky Duck and Roarless20 like this.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Quote Originally Posted by LMcNab View Post
    Hi Bud, welcome. I dont know what your local branch is like but keen fellas like yourself get pretty well looked after at the local NZDA club down here. Plenty of club hunts for you to soak up skills from senior members and potentially the Hunts course if you're keen on that. Worth reaching out, maybe attending a meeting and seeing if its for you.
    Hey mate, im in the horowhenua/manawatu. So i will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Would also recommend the HUNTS course with your local NZDA

They teach skills and confidence comes with skills
    Okay ill look into it. Do you have to be apart of the NZDA?

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    I have been lost twice in my life, once in the bush when I was five and once as an adult driving in Wellington. Both times I figured my own way out of it. The second time was no easier than the first.

Navigation is partly skills and partly confidence and you need a bit of both but once your doing it, it's actually fairly simple. But until your doing it, it is a big unknown with lots of variables.

If you feel like driving down to the Wairarapa one weekend, your welcome to come out for a day walk if you want a few tips on map reading and using a GPS and how to figure strategies to get from A to B and what to do when you find yourself at D.
    Hey mate that might actually be really helpfull. I appreciate it