Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Jono91
  • 1 Post By HOO
  • 2 Post By canross
  • 1 Post By Tahrzan

Thread: New Hunter

New Hunter

Hi fellas,

Little bit about myself im an Aussie recently moved to Queentown Nz, I'm a keen snowboarder and love anything outdoors.

Im posting to hopefully get a little insight from the more seasoned hunters here about hopefully slowly gearing myself up for my first hunt. I have my Australian gun license and am currently submitting my application as soon as lockdown is over for my nz license. I've been on 4 hunts in aus 3 for deer 1 for pig.

Im slowly buying some gear to just get out and go do some of the bigger hikes around just to get a feel for the place and get some miles put down to see if I can see anything I like. I'm really only asking for any recommendations on backpacks and binos at this time because I imagine it will be a few months before I can get a gun which is OK just gives me more time to really sit and appreciate where I am. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers lads
    canross and Greg-M like this.

HOO
    I got some vortex binos at a pretty reasonable price diamondback ones it think for about 350. I’m pretty new as wel so it seems to be a good entry point without breaking the bank. Good luck out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, I've been looking at the diamondbacks they looked pretty good and like you said very reasonably price.

HOO
    With backpacks I bought one off a guy I know through work. A markhor 50(?) litre one. Thought it was decent til I had to carry a deer in it, felt like it was gonna slice my arms off

Jono91 likes this.

HOO
    It might just be my pathetic shoulders to be fair. I’ve heard others mention they like them. I may just need more shoulder padding

Sounds like you're on the right track - in general my thought is go slow with purchases, try as much gear in person and ask about what others are using before buying. It's easy to decide on something based on specs, reviews, and word of mouth, but handling an item usually tells you a ton when it comes down to a decision.

A lot more people replace unsuitable/sub-par backpacks and binos long before those items wear out, so get what you can afford but don't cheap out on them.

Having had a few backpacks break at really inopportune times, I'd suggest going for something simple, tough, and big internal volume. You don't have to fill a bag right up to capacity when starting a trip, but having that spare room for longer trips or when you get an animal is great... way better than strapping stuff to the outside on a flimsier pack and having it lurch around on you and blow apart halfway home. If you settle on a bag and find one used for a real deal then go for it, but you might be just as well off buying new on sale and avoiding the risk of torn seams etc. Macpac do a good line of tough bags, but looks like they've dialed back their options during covid. If you want everyone to know you're cool (and like bombproof gear) then Twin Needle is solid.

For binos, you'll spend a lot of time looking through them, and glass quality does make a difference. It's a law of diminishing returns on the high end stuff, but you're well worth going into the mid-range for binos at least so that you can glass for hours in comfort and really pick up the fine details. You don't really notice it with glass quality until you try a nicer pair and realize how unpleasant it was with the worse quality glass. You'll really need to try them out in person and look a good distance to get a feel for them - looking across a store doesn't tell you much. Try your local small shops rather than Hunting and Fishing - H&F mark up prices ridiculously and threw gun owners under the bus with the law changes, and small businesses will often cut you a deal. I have heard some people try gear out at H&F then order online from their preferred supplier... seeing as H&F tried to kill internet sales of firearms I see this as rather poetic
    There are deals to be had with second hand optics, but you're going to have to be prepared to wait and watch like a hawk for them, so your choice there. It does help to know what you like in advance so you can decide whether to pull the trigger on a sharp deal without ending up with something you don't like.
    Pixie Z and Jono91 like this.

Thanks for the reply with so much detail. I've realised there's a gear thread here and I've been scouring that for the couple hours. I think you're right with h&f tho I've been in a few times and seen that nearly all their stuff is fairly higher priced than the small shops online sections I've seen. Im pretty confident with my scope and gun choice I'm just going to run the same one I had in aaus it served me well and I was comfortable with that set up.
    I might go into h&f and go test drive some of the backpacks that are a good fit for my size

Depends a bit on your budget. IMO don’t skimp on your basic stuff that keeps you safe and warm -pack, boots, sleeping bag,tent, clothing.
    Spend what’s left on the best optics you can get -you will be better served getting a cheaper model of a good brand than an expensive model of a crap brand for the same money.

i'd go with a tatonka bison 75l for your pack. super comfy with heavy loads. it's a piece of kit you won't regret spending the extra $ on and i doubt you'll ever want to replace it. you can pick them up from dwights outdoors often with 20% off. leupold mackenzie bino's are a good pair that aren't too pricey either.

If passing through Rotorua I have a pack you can have for $80. It’s a very solid comfortable 75l pack that I don’t use and my next youngster is still miles off carrying a pack.

Dan M

Throw me a message if you want to get out for a hunt sometime (level2) I’m out a fair bit, you can see a bit of my gear which might help you decide on what works and what doesn’t for you, as everyone’s different
    Tentman likes this.