Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Rifle

Well I have a goal of out to 1000yards but realistic I would not want to shoot an animal at that distance just they thought of not killing the animal straight away doesn't sit well with me. So 1000 in theory but for realistic shooting maxing at around 750yds. So from what im understanding a scope is MORE important than the rifle but a decent rifle is still just as vital? I personally wouldnt suppress a distance rifle because of the fps drop but would you muzzle break it ?

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Well I have a goal of out to 1000yards but realistic I would not want to shoot an animal at that distance just they thought of not killing the animal straight away doesn't sit well with me. So 1000 in theory but for realistic shooting maxing at around 750yds. So from what im understanding a scope is MORE important than the rifle but a decent rifle is still just as vital? I personally wouldnt suppress a distance rifle because of the fps drop but would you muzzle break it ?
    You can suppress, it won't drop your MV unless you chop the barrel shorter, otherwise you can brake it but then it becomes really LOUD!
    They both have their pros and cons, brake is more effective at taming recoil and lighter but makes a lot of noise, suppressor has less effect at recoil reduction and is heavier, looks funny and retains heat(not really an issue with hunting long range) but quietens it a lot.

You are onto it, got to be a decent rifle with a decent trigger but a really good scope is vital!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

If it kicks like a bitch then a muzzle brake may be needed. Just remember the ole ears take a pounding with a muzzle break so you'll need muffs or plugs which isn't a problem cause the animal is 750yards away so it's not going to see you putting on muffs is it

I don't think a suppressor would cause enough fps loss to be much of a concern.
    BRADS and Hunt4life like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Range would be around 750 for shooting deer mainly reds, but I would like to be able to make a shoot at targets out to 1000 just for show but wouldnt contemplate shooting game out to this distance. Personally I wouldnt suppress because of the fps drop, but would you muzzle break ? And havent thought about any rifles tbh, was after opinions and ideas first from people who do shoot these distances. H&F boys like to upsell their products alot so was abit hesitant on at first talking to them without a rough idea

Cheers toby clears that up for me, the biggest decision I was trying to make was caliber

Fps drop?

Feet per second , round out of the barrel. I was always under the impressions suppressors reduced the FPS
    Spudattack likes this.

Feet per second , round out of the barrel. I was always under the impressions suppressors reduced the FPS
    Not enough to make any difference two your needs.
    Gibo likes this.

IIRC suppressors actually increase MV slightly rather than decreasing it. But as said bugger all difference either way.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Banned
    Find a rifle to spit some 6.5 140gn amax's out of get a loupy with a cds turret pm me ill score you some hardox gong plates to practice on job done as for a rifle good luck ha ha haha ............
    Happy and Danny like this.

If your wanting to shoot deer out to 750m then realistically some of the more potent 7mm or 30 cals are where you should start looking (7 rem mag/300wsm etc).
    There are plenty of other calibers that are capable of taking deer out to these ranges in good conditions, but to do it consistently, a bit more energy and less wind drift are very desirable.
    At longer ranges, wind is going to be the hardest thing to judge and a heavy round with a high bc at a reasonable speed is going to help when your wind calls are not as perfect as you would have liked them to be!
    Hand loading will lower costs and enable you to get the best accuracy from your rifle.
    A good laser rangefinder is also going to be a necessity, so if you don't already have one then you should also budget for that too.
    There are plenty of rifles around the $1200 mark with accuracy (.5 MOA) capable of hunting to the ranges you have mentioned.
    A good scope that dials repeatable is also a must so buy the best that you can afford.

Good luck!
    veitnamcam and Danny like this.