Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Noob...

So, licence appeared in post box New Years day. Assume it was dropped off the last working day of the year - cutting it a bit fine FAL folks.

Popped into Reloaders to pick up a Howa 6.5 CM which my googling told me I wanted and walked out with Bergara B-14 Hunter Extreme 308 that we decided is what I actually need. Came with Leupold VX-Freedom scope (Freedom from any features incl holdover marks in reticle) and DPT suppressor. Actually looks and feels real nice.

Have loaded up on some cheapish FMJ's to go and break both myself and the barrel in - just need to wrangle some time from life to spend a quiet morning on the range. Parents coming over for a visit for two months so not much hunting gonna happen over that time.
    Nick-D, Bobba and Been Upto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    So, licence appeared in post box New Years day. Assume it was dropped off the last working day of the year - cutting it a bit fine FAL folks.

Popped into Reloaders to pick up a Howa 6.5 CM which my googling told me I wanted and walked out with Bergara B-14 Hunter Extreme 308 that we decided is what I actually need. Came with Leupold VX-Freedom scope (Freedom from any features incl holdover marks in reticle) and DPT suppressor. Actually looks and feels real nice.

Have loaded up on some cheapish FMJ's to go and break both myself and the barrel in - just need to wrangle some time from life to spend a quiet morning on the range. Parents coming over for a visit for two months so not much hunting gonna happen over that time.
    Quality combo of rifle and scope man. Will serve you well as an all rounder to learn with.
    davetapson likes this.

I have been looking at a bergara 308 meself.

Let us know how it works out for you.

I'm especially interested to know if the groups tighten up as the barrel gets a few rounds through it.
    davetapson likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Popped into Reloaders to pick up a Howa 6.5 CM which my googling told me I wanted and walked out with Bergara B-14 Hunter Extreme 308
    keen to hear a review on the b14 , pros and cons etc
    rugerman and davetapson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    keen to hear a review on the b14 , pros and cons etc
    I have a B14 hunter in 300WM. Very happy with it although I have heard others talk about firecracking in the barrel quite early in barrel life. Haven't looked at mine. Done about a hundred rounds. Reliable on animals to around 650m (further if I could do my bit). Have shot it to 1k on steel, three in a row on a 600mm plate first attempt.

It's not a light rifle, but it feels and shoots great. Beats the pants off Rem 700 for build and finish quality.

https://youtu.be/Wy_iae4QBF4

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    I have a B14 hunter in 300WM. Very happy with it although I have heard others talk about firecracking in the barrel quite early in barrel life. Haven't looked at mine. Done about a hundred rounds. Reliable on animals to around 650m (further if I could do my bit). Have shot it to 1k on steel, three in a row on a 600mm plate first attempt.

It's not a light rifle, but it feels and shoots great. Beats the pants off Rem 700 for build and finish quality.

Never heard of Firecracking. Is this a hot loads kinda thing?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Join a club (NZDA) and meet some people. Getting someone to take you out and show you some pointers is a very good start. Maybe do a HUNTS course,
    A 243, 308, 7m 08 is a good start in Cal. Dont listen to people that think the 243 softpoints are no good on pigs...they are. But if some distance shots are on the 7m 08 or 308 would be a good choice.
    DOC websites normally give hunting areas and access points, or spot x books or listen to club members and hope someone takes you under there wing.

Good boots are where it starts...you be doing plenty of miles and nothing worst than sore feet to put you off.
    Starting off with goats isnt a bad option, easy to get, will learn some things hunting them and the meat is great for stews, curries etc.
    davetapson likes this.

+1 for good boots.
    Feral likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Never heard of Firecracking. Is this a hot loads kinda thing?
    Yeah I'd never heard of it either and I don't have a borescope to look, but it's basically barrel wear in the throat that looks like dried, cracked mud in the steel. Wear and tear from the hot gasses that erodes the throat. Worse with hotter / faster loads apparently.

Max Headroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post

yea i know they are a remmy 700 clone and have read they are better as they have ironed out all the kinks and fitted better quality barrels.....more wondering if there was any issues once theyve had some use....

Oh and if you havent done it already, get a .22 and a small mountain of ammo and practice. A lot.
    davetapson likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Oh and if you havent done it already, get a .22 and a small mountain of ammo and practice. A lot.
    Curiously enough, I ran into GC's weekly JW-15 $1 auction and got one with GC scope and suppressor for $255.

Picked it up yesterday.

Now just waiting (not completely patiently) for NZDA range to open for general practice.

Are there any other options for plinking within reach of Auckland?

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    Max Headroom likes this.

Re .22. Was cleaning it up yesterday. Man, is it rough as guts. Even rougher than those shown in the 'how to smooth out a JW-15' youtubes.

Gonna be interesting to see how straight it shoots.

1. The NZDA runs the H.U.N.T.S course which goes over most if not all of the essential skills you need to safely hunt in NZ, you also go for a goat hunt towards the end of the course. It would be a good opportunity to make some friends and connections which is a good place to start, people will be a lot more willing to take you hunting if they know you are safe and responsible.

2. My first centerfire rifle was a .308 and it was great. It will do anything you ask of it in NZ except not make a mess of smaller game, but that's to be expected lol. I currently have a .270 which in some situations is overkill but at long range it has better performance than the .308, I would suggest going for a .308 or 7-08.

3. I think 1 covers this.
    davetapson likes this.

Yes. Do the hunts course.

Yes. Get a 308.

Can't go wrong