Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Happy Jack

Thread: Northern Canturbury recomendations

Northern Canturbury recomendations

Hi team. I am driving down from the North Island to do a week hunting somewhere in the Northern Canterbury area in a couple of weeks, as it's something that's always been on my bucket list. Will be looking to fly in by chopper to save a bit of time and hopefully get away from the crowds. Will be looking to camp rather than stay at a hut.

I have never hunted this area before so just wondering if any one has any recommendations for areas to look at/good chopper operators etc.

Not looking for your spot X, just maybe a rough area to look at, or any info on good chopper operators in the area.

Have already spoken to Amuri and Alpine Helicopters, and have looked at areas around the Lewis Rha.

Feel free to send me a PM rather than post on here if you like.

Thanks for your help.

I'm guessing Alpine are cheaper than Amuri and both will be busy with the roar very soon, both have good local knowledge. I often here of people flying into Mt Baldy from Hanmer over towards the Hossack although I have not been over there as choppers are out of my price range. Anywhere that can be reached by truck from Hanmer gets hammered by the locals but there is still plenty of deer to go around.

If you do fly with Bill of Mike at Alpine please don't leave early morning as you will be flying over my house although its only mine for another 7 weeks.
    tetawa and dannyb like this.

Just walk in
    Those heli operators will likely drop you on top of other hunters anyway
    Seen them do it before

Just go walk in light and cover the country rather than fly in heavy and be stuck where they decide to drop you

There are plenty of animals in there and you don't need to be way in the back
    Most guys walk past hundreds of handy deer

There are heaps of options that dont require a helicopter for access in North Canterbury. Think outside the square, look over some maps of likely areas. Alpine Helicopters meat truck has just gone through so am expecting some more rape and pillage in the Rakaia herd over the next few days. If you want to get away from having helicopters buzzing your shooting area, check out the National Parks such as Arthurs Pass. Lots of good hunting areas with trampers tracks all the way in, then just take to the hill and go look. If it was around the Hamner area I would be flying with Amuri.......or dear I say it, Bill Hales. They know their stuff. Also the Kaikouras are definitely worth a look.

Alpine is Bill Hales along with Mike Geen