Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Pack Weight

general rule of thumb for me is a gear weight of about 16kg for summer, 18 for winter. that's my sleep system, rifle etc.
    water depends on where I'm going but I'll usually assume I've got about 2l (so 2kg) on me at any given time, plus 1kg of food per day

Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    I don’t get it….
    Sorry. What I meant was by those items you listed, I see you must love doing outdoors. And, I got items and gears like yours, some of gears, equipment are still new, never used yet.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

I have to admit I end up taking knives to test, and camera gear and that adds to the load, so I make exceptions in key items:

1. Pack from https://seekoutside.com/blog/product...utside-brooks/ (now discontinued) It's a "modern" external frame and weighs about 2kg which is amazing considering it is max 120L and can carry heavy loads.
    2. Tent - https://3fulgear.com/product/ultrali...shan2-classic/ I haven't used it much but this thing is super light and small... smaller pack size than a tarp + bivvy bag, but its a full tent. Well reviewed by the ultralight community. You do need trekking poles though, which I use anyway for my poor knees.
    3. Stove - I mostly use alcohol/meths but you have to be patient, use windscreen and not for high altitudes. Trangia clones and a stand + fuel are significantly lighter than most canisters + jetboil type systems.

Pack, clothes, cooking, bits'n'pieces, optics, food for 4 full days 15.6kg.
    Rifle, scope, suppressor and sling 3.9kg
    Boots 1.3kg
    Total 20.8kg

previous post includes a sleeping bag too, no tent.

north island tops camping, try to keep it under 13 kgs for a week. (dont include gun in that)
    tent it msr Access 2 = 2kgs
    sleeping bag is Monte bell 700 gms,
    pack is Macpac 45 litre (its very full!)

Just got out from a trip into Fiordland. Pack weighed 18kg not including rifle or water. Shoulder are burning!
    Micky Duck likes this.

@bigbear

3.44kgs seems heavy for a tent these days what you running??

For example my mountain star is 1.5kg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Carbine and Preacher like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I'd probably top out at 15kgs for 3 days with luxurious meals. Maybe the same for 5 days with packet shit. Only carry extra water than what's needed if going into an unexplored area

Pack is only a 65L Osprey. Found I was carrying way too much shit in a bigger pack. Lightened up equipment a lot and scaled down many items.

Average all up weight in service days was like: 10kgs for webbing/chest rig, 30-35kgs for pack, like 14 -15 kgs for weapon system (including spare barrel and couple hundy extra rounds of belted ammo). Plus clothing etc.

I was 78kgs carrying around 55 - 60kgs at pace over long distances and wondering why knees are fucked!

From what I hear the equipment has muchly improved.
    chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.

Ha, just decided to re weigh my rifle, since its gone through a couple of changes. 5.3kg unloaded.

After that I went through and re did everything. 20.45 kg plus water and food now.
    My biggest issue is I get so cold trying to sleep, I roll with a 1.9kg sleeping bag (minus 11 comfort) plus 300gm liner plus 730 grams of sleeping mat (R5) and I'm still bloody cold half the time. Any suggestions there?

Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    Ha, just decided to re weigh my rifle, since its gone through a couple of changes. 5.3kg unloaded.

After that I went through and re did everything. 20.45 kg plus water and food now.
    My biggest issue is I get so cold trying to sleep, I roll with a 1.9kg sleeping bag (minus 11 comfort) plus 300gm liner plus 730 grams of sleeping mat (R5) and I'm still bloody cold half the time. Any suggestions there?
    Big breakfast of a high fat type, Eat more during the day, stop for a decent hot midday meal. Mustering we slept in some pretty cold conditions with shitty old gear, but a feed of chops at brekky and plenty of lunch washed down with a hot drink made a big difference to the sleep ya got.
    Ned and Seventy Six like this.

Name:  02A718D9-AAF2-47A9-9615-22E737E3B168.jpeg
Views: 319
Size:  4.69 MB
    Name:  AE88A4E6-892E-4B7F-B34F-4EE0F5D87594.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  4.32 MB
    Name:  A1EEB2F2-2B69-45E5-9D33-80EDD7439FEC.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  2.52 MB

Few luxuries this trip,
    kukuwai and Black Rabbit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    Is that for an overnighter or weekend?

2 nights 3 days

One night you’re having 3 beers and the other night 2.. tough decisions to make..!