Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Pack Weight

Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    Ive done a bit of Lightweight shopping and here's my list

Attachment 195556
    Attachment 195557
    Attachment 195558
    man if you need a 235grm rubber,there is no way Im bending over anywhere near you!!!!!!!!
    Bryan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    Ha, just decided to re weigh my rifle, since its gone through a couple of changes. 5.3kg unloaded.

After that I went through and re did everything. 20.45 kg plus water and food now.
    My biggest issue is I get so cold trying to sleep, I roll with a 1.9kg sleeping bag (minus 11 comfort) plus 300gm liner plus 730 grams of sleeping mat (R5) and I'm still bloody cold half the time. Any suggestions there?
    a hot water bottle.....nah being serious...you get into a down bag cold...you stay cold...you get in warm and you stay warm....try wearing thermals to bed....
    I have a 750g macpac bag and sleep really warm with a cheap warehouse bag liner...for really cold winter nights I used to have a winter weight single bed sheet sown into a sack and used it as a liner...bulky and heavy but very warm,there are polarfleece options now..a liner boosts bags rating by heaps as it keeps the warm in close to you....it sounds like you are cold to begin with.......a hottie is or course far too heavy to carry BUT a drink bottle of warm water poked into sleeping bag just before you get in and taken out soon afterwards might help get the air inside bag warm,zipped up it will stay warm..take bottle out so you dont roll over and wet the bed!!!!
    a sleeping bag cover like the old japara ones the defence force had (mine must be 50 years old) also boost warmth by huge amount...I didnt realise how much by untill got sick of my mate freezing in his cheap lightweight bag on week long trip so gave him mine to use....I felt the cold a little more afterwards...again it must be the trapping of warmth and the cover stops moving cold air from robbing it from you.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I'd probably top out at 15kgs for 3 days with luxurious meals. Maybe the same for 5 days with packet shit. Only carry extra water than what's needed if going into an unexplored area .
    Talking about water supply in wild, in my hiking days I drink clear water from rocky creek without purifying it and so far no problem. So, is safe to drink water directly from Alps rivers, streams in mountains directly? Since, water is heavy to carry and I drink 1.5L a day at least.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    a hot water bottle.....nah being serious...you get into a down bag cold...you stay cold...you get in warm and you stay warm....try wearing thermals to bed....
    I have a 750g macpac bag and sleep really warm with a cheap warehouse bag liner...for really cold winter nights I used to have a winter weight single bed sheet sown into a sack and used it as a liner...bulky and heavy but very warm,there are polarfleece options now..a liner boosts bags rating by heaps as it keeps the warm in close to you....it sounds like you are cold to begin with.......a hottie is or course far too heavy to carry BUT a drink bottle of warm water poked into sleeping bag just before you get in and taken out soon afterwards might help get the air inside bag warm,zipped up it will stay warm..take bottle out so you dont roll over and wet the bed!!!!
    a sleeping bag cover like the old japara ones the defence force had (mine must be 50 years old) also boost warmth by huge amount...I didnt realise how much by untill got sick of my mate freezing in his cheap lightweight bag on week long trip so gave him mine to use....I felt the cold a little more afterwards...again it must be the trapping of warmth and the cover stops moving cold air from robbing it from you.

Nalgene bottles will handle boiling water no problems, ive boiled water and filled mine and thrown it in my sleeping bag a few times on tahr trips etc and works well, actually stays warm for quite a while. Does double duty as your main water bottle also
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Talking about water supply in wild, in my hiking days I drink clear water from rocky creek without purifying it and so far no problem. So, is safe to drink water directly from Alps rivers, streams in mountains directly? Since, water is heavy to carry and I drink 1.5L a day at least.
    I ask myself...has someone likely to have crapped or washed their ballsack in stream above me lately???? then depending on how thirsty I am...drink anyway.... if suspect it will be dodgy...boil the billy and have a cuppa tea.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    Ha, just decided to re weigh my rifle, since its gone through a couple of changes. 5.3kg unloaded.

After that I went through and re did everything. 20.45 kg plus water and food now.
    My biggest issue is I get so cold trying to sleep, I roll with a 1.9kg sleeping bag (minus 11 comfort) plus 300gm liner plus 730 grams of sleeping mat (R5) and I'm still bloody cold half the time. Any suggestions there?
    Hi, are you veterinarian? Or, sorry should `t ask if you got any conditions. Do you carry a tent or any sort that will black you from wind since wild chill is big matter. My suggestions are try eat lamb or goat meats often before you go. -11 sleeping bag depends on quality, maybe buy another one because you said your bag weights 1.9kg but only 300gm, my warmest is -28c, 450gm almost same weight like yours.
    Our body is like an engine, should keep it running and running it will need fuel, I burn body fats even when I was asleep, some people will need jogging. So, keep feeding yourself with protein, carry some beer jerky.
    Beef jerky, why all the jerky are sweetie in here? Not salty with bit of greasy...

Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    Beers... I usually do `t drink when I went outdoors, but will carry coffee kits. Is that s SLR camera, Cannon or Nikon? Nowadays, many lens shooter switched to Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I ask myself...has someone likely to have crapped or washed their ballsack in stream above me lately???? then depending on how thirsty I am...drink anyway.... if suspect it will be dodgy...boil the billy and have a cuppa tea.
    Ha Ha I got same feeling too, but that `s the true nature right. You picture, I do`t know why but what I see it looks like a boy stands out the window and lots fishes inside, in Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    The most difficult bit of "multi day trip" equipment to sort I think is the daypack/knifebelt/binopouch thing. I like to leave my main pack in camp, usually nice and tidy with most stuff stowed in case a quick exit is required- weathers setting in/shoot something right on dark and want to get out ahead of the game.

My usual day pack (twin needle mollyme) is way to heavy to carry "extra",a bumbag doesn't sit well under a normal pack/waist belt (for me anyway) and a bino pouch's I've seen don't have enough room to carry all the day stuff ....Thought on what works for you ??
    Pikau and belt pouches in the Bush.

In the tops just use your main bag. I'm like you like to have it all tidy so I have a big waterproof dry bag liner that holds all my shit if I'm hunting while camp is packed

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    I have been using Sawyer filtration system since last 1 year and been fine after drinking water from a canal and mountain streams so I guess it working.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...65&sr=8-2&th=1

Another option is

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Per...s%2C265&sr=8-9

Added advantage being you can straight drink from a stream. Pretty lightweight systems both of these.

I drink from back country streams all the time, never really considered using a filter as generally over here its fine to drink. I would never drink from anything that runs near fields or paddocks though.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    I have been using Sawyer filtration system since last 1 year and been fine after drinking water from a canal and mountain streams so I guess it working。 Added advantage being you can straight drink from a stream. Pretty lightweight systems both of these.
    Yeah, I have seen people using it in Milford. I am old school type, but it on my watchlists though.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    I drink from back country streams all the time, never really considered using a filter as generally over here its fine to drink. I would never drink from anything that runs near fields or paddocks though.
    I am 99% sure, drink those waters are safe. For the 1%, if I ate or drank something bad in a remote place far, far away from help and I got diarrhea, I will need some extra time to go back to home.

The water filtration thing is an interesting topic in itself, do people use them here? I've always just drunk straight out of the stream, I dint know anyone that does otherwise. The only time I've even bothered to boil water was when the only water I could find was still water.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradp View Post
    The water filtration thing is an interesting topic in itself, do people use them here? I've always just drunk straight out of the stream, I dint know anyone that does otherwise. The only time I've even bothered to boil water was when the only water I could find was still water.
    I tend to chuck in a water purification tab in to the water I collect. I'm 99% sure the water will be fine, but the tabs weigh next to nothing, and saves me having to boil the stuff before drinking it. I normally have a 3 litre bladder in the pack when I start my hunts, so I'm not in any hurry to find drinking water. Any water I collect on the way gets put into a new container and one tab per litre is added. All good to drink after 30 mins.