Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Pet wallaby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Not that long ago some guys from Rotovegas, used to shoot the mums to get the joey. These they would then hand rear in 10ltr paint tins to make them tame enough to handle. These would then be on sold to Asia as pets and back to Aussie. Probably they are still doing it. Used to meet these guys whilst I was doing security on Maori trust blocks.
    Please mind my ignorance but what why the need for security on a Maori trust block?

Quote Originally Posted by sixpointfive View Post
    be afraid, the wallaby is one of the cruelest of animals,
    never trust them, up close you see the menace in their
    cold-blooded eyes, dozens of tourists have gone missing around
    the rotorua lakes over the years,

you'd be naive to think that wallabies aren't involved, we've had packs of wallabies tear our pigdogs to pieces in many a stand-off, and the okataina wallabies eat kiwis and catch pigeons and tuis..

the tarawera ones you don't want to tangle with, many a hunter has been gored chewed and kicked off the cliffs down into the lake by rampaging wallabies, so no, don't be catchin' these bastards alive, best medicine for em' is the .577 nitro
    Love it

If im hunting the rotorua lakes it will be from my jet boat. Im not realy into the spot lighting .
    If anyone wants too show me how its done , or has any advice could you pm me.
    Ive had a snoop around Tarawera and okatina , but that was years ago and I was just exploring options. .

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Please mind my ignorance but what why the need for security on a Maori trust block?
    To stop the owners and wannabies from flogging the stock and equipment, and poaching game whilst there are workers on site. Did it for 17yrs
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Without the bottle feeding it wont bond with a human. If mum has weaned it then its to late as a pet. If one was to succesfully have a pet id advise getting a joey still on the tit
    mohawk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Shot a lot of Rotorua wallaby in past years for dog tucker and also my own food. Mostly you will not get a young one except from Mums pouch. Feed them only with homogenised milk , sometimes with a bit of glucose. Whole milk or even ice cream will kill them. I used to have my pets hanging upside down in balaclavas hanging on my hut door knob or on a coat hanger at bed time. They tame real quick, and come when called once they accept you as mum. Open your swanni neck and they come to you and hop straight in, like Mums pouch.
    They are petrified of dogs and will die of fright real easy if worried by a dog outside the cage. Always loved them as pets. When grown they love to sit up, hold an apple slice in their hands and nibble away at it,, real cute. They don't kill birds and I am buggered if I can see why they are a pest actually.

Because there are millions in South Canterbury, which eat 1/3 of stock amount, they carry worms. This summer was so dry the sheep farmers were struggling in the haka to manage to feed stock let alone share it with such a voracious pest species.

They are an Unwanted Organism under the Biosecurity Act so any deliberate transfer or movement is prohibited. Carries massive fines if caught. Google the Act for detail on their status. Cant imagine there would be many farmers too stoked with people transporting these pests around. Ask the cockies around canterbury what they think of the idea of people keeping wallabies as pets, youll get your answer there.

the shocking last moments of poor bess's life..

Snuffed out by strangulation in deep bush in the mamakus, caught on camera
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  20.6 KB
    indisputable evidence of marsupial attack,

the bush here is full of angry growling, barking wallabies, they've taken over, be afraid be very afraid
    Bernie, Tommy, Blisters and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    it'll be the pakeha dishonesty blocks bringing in a bad crowd is all

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    that was also an issue. On one block the Pakeha manager tried to dismiss me, tried to hide his dishonsety, the head of the trust wouldn't wear it, he got dismissed instead.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Name:  1239867_455906017913613_1406913923_n.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  22.5 KB
    jakewire, P38, wsm junkie and 3 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Bet we can figure out who you work for eh

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Oh really?

I wont have you for breakfast, but there is always dinner or lunch!

jakewire likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

P38
    My mate had a pet wallaby for a while.

Originated from The Rotoma Asrea

It was pretty tame too , raised it form a Joey.

It featured on the front page of the Napier Daily Telegraph too.

Seems it escaped one day while he was at work , never to be seen again.

Next minute it's photograph was on the front page of the paper after turning up at someones address several blocks away looking for as feed and a pat.

The reporter said it was a Kangaroo.

They also said it was eventually captured and sent to the zoo .... yeah right , it would bloody come up to you and eat food right out of your hand.

The bloody thing used to ride around in his car with him sitting up in the front seat looking out the front windscreen.

They do make good pets

Cheers
    Pete

Wallaby around Rotorua are a smaller different critter to the ones in Canty and about half the size. I hunted them regularly from 1964 onwards and have seen bugger all expansion of their territory since that time. This variety was almost extinct in Australia and there were many captured and exported to Australia a few years back, to re stock over there. Mostly nocturnal, but sometimes come out to graze in raiuny dull weather. Eyes dull red in the light and they don't hold for long in the beam. Mostly we used 303 ball ammo for instant clean kill with bugger all meat damage, rather than .22. .22 is not effective unless head shot or unless you shoot in the hip bone and then club them.