Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Pre baiting 1080

Pre baiting 1080

East coast of Opotiki

They are pre baiting Te Kowhai forest locally and have ground baiters cutting tracks into shitty gullies. You wonder if the bureaucrats know they have landed a man on the moon.

Got any more information on 1080 pre-baiting for East of Opotiki? Looking at DOC pesticide summary I'm not seeing anything for that region forecast for 1080 drop?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Got any more information on 1080 pre-baiting for East of Opotiki? Looking at DOC pesticide summary I'm not seeing anything for that region forecast for 1080 drop?
    The Raukumara is going to get it.
    bigbear likes this.

A lot of the 1080 work is being done by OSPRI, not DOC.
    https://www.ospri.co.nz/tb-and-pest-...al-operations/
    Rusky likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleduk View Post
    The Raukumara is going to get it.
    That doesn't surprise me. The terrain, size, and accesibility just doesn't allow for effective ground control.
    Tahr and bigbear like this.

Depends. Possum moves seasonally and with changeing food availability; also with attrition of resident animals from an area /locale. Strategies using traps can be applied over months rather than hours can be identified.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

That doesn't surprise me. The terrain, size, and accesibility just doesn't allow for effective ground control.
    They had 5 different machines in there recently apparently logging over 2200 animals.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    They had 5 different machines in there recently apparently logging over 2200 animals.
    Heard a similar story a couple of days ago from a mate whos brother is friendly with a chopper pilot down there.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Heard a similar story a couple of days ago from a mate whos brother is friendly with a chopper pilot down there.
    My mates friend is a shooter on a 500 and an evening run saw a stag they estimated at 350 DS on the edge of a pine block bordering the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Depends. Possum moves seasonally and with changeing food availability; also with attrition of resident animals from an area /locale. Strategies using traps can be applied over months rather than hours can be identified.
    Perhaps, actually come to think of it nah I don't believe ground traps is even a viable option. Having ventured in there myself recently, its thick in places and steep. The under storey was dead (no seedlings or new growth), and bird life virtually 1/4 of what it should be. Saw 2 stoats in just three days there and multiple possums in the day time. Plenty of feathers scattered around the place. I don't like 1080 as much as the next guy, but there are times and places where you either sit back on the anti-1080 wagon and watch your biodiversity crumble, or you do something (if deer are caught in the cross-fire so be it).
    Tahr, kiwijames, Cyclops and 1 others like this.

Problem with it is steep country, thick bush, 1080 bait charactersitics and 3-day weather cycles just don't work either. As soon as you roll a bait or wet it it's effectiveness is spent, especially at the sowing rates they are quoting nowadays. Part of the issue with the old bush in steep country like that, it's so bloody hard for a seedling to get itself established and going properly that a lot of steep areas are pretty open and dead appearing under the old canopy. When I was last fit and able to go out and about I run into an area like that where the understory had basically been washed out, quite weird and not like anything I had seen before. Only new growth was in little bowls or behind things that diverted the rain flows away - possibly going to get worse too with the amount of rainfall we are seeming to get every month now.

If a man can walk the terrain then it can be trapped. Remote access to prepared helipads allow trapper bases and block shifts.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    If a man can walk the terrain then it can be trapped. Remote access to prepared helipads allow trapper bases and block shifts.
    Were talking a LOT of man power and resources here and something this government isn't prepared to throw money at. They are happy to announce New Zealand will become "Predator free" by 2050. I'm yet to see some logical and proactive steps to getting the desired outcome.

@No.3, have you ventured into Otanewainuku forest per chance since you are in Tauranga? That bit of forest is by far the best well managed forest for predators I have seen on my travels in NZ. The bird life is incredible, and the Kokako are thriving. A bait line every 200m apart with Pindone is doing well. But I see back in 1997 1080 in bait stations were used.

The AHB was supposed to have the problem possum sorted by 2013 and ose down but whoopsee daisy; Oh extend to 2026 under new OSPRI brand and now Ooooh, 2040+. Billions have been spent on 1080 ops and billion more planned, due to tunnel vision.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.