Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: protocol when shown hunting block or taken for hunt.

Very well said Micky Duck

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    That's was all very well back when you were trying to nail their daughter, but would you really throw tyres just for a deer?
    I'd happily let you shoot a ute load of deer for a few hours on the heap chucking tyres.
    Some guy on the forum a few years ago rebuilt our woolshed steps in exchange for some hunting
    I'm all about some barter.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    jakewire, 199p, johnd and 11 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I'd happily let you shoot a ute load of deer for a few hours on the heap chucking tyres.
    Some guy on the forum a few years ago rebuilt our woolshed steps in exchange for some hunting

….well I’ve got plenty of experience. Assist in covering 4-5 pits a year…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    I will add this.....If invited in for a cup of tea or a chat, put that first before hunting. For some farmers, the social contact if they live in a remote area is priceless. Pay attention to their problems if they discuss them and offer to help if you can. Its all part of building a relationship with the owners. Offer some of the meat/birds if successful and if they accept, take the time to process them so they dont have to. If you get sausages,salamis made, call them and offer them some back as a thank you. Treat their family and esp the kids with respect.......
    I'll add to this: before coming out ring ahead and see if they need anything from the supermarket or anything picked up from town. When you live remotely, this sort of thing matters (as does the gesture).
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

I'm going to add.
    If you have permission to take your dog, tie the bloody thing up, leave it in its crate or leave it in the vehicle with windows closed when you visit the cockee irrespective of it being a well behaved "wonder dog".

and before you ask......................not my dog or "spot" but I was witness

and to this day the dogs owner wonders why the dog is not allowed back!!
    deer243 and Micky Duck like this.

Something else that goes a long way to create a good relationship with the owner is. When your out there hunting if you come across something that seems out of place or you thing isn't right for where you are. It might be a water trough running over or a tree over a fence. mention it to the owner it may be nothing but if it is it can be a big help to the owner
    "you belong somewhere you feel free"-Tom Petty

Back to public land …

Im only too happy for someone I’ve taken to a spot to go back another day, take his bro up thhere, shoot a deer if he can. Most often its the new visitor who misses out and they guy who know the block gets one the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post

What do you need a hand with Brads.
    Got a couple of old mates that I'm sure would give you a hand for a weekend hunt.
    I love cutting trees up

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    deer243, Micky Duck and Borris like this.

A mate of mine showed me a little spot on public land that holds a little heard of fallows and a few goats.
    It took us a year before seeing our first fallow and another two before we shot one.
    Wanting to see the heard grow we never shot more than two or three animals a year.
    After five of six years we were rewarded by seeing more and more animals which was really encouraging.
    But in the last two years , we have noticed that some other hunters have been on that place and now the numbers of fallow is really down, I did not shoot even one fallow over the last two times I went there and saw only two.
    So hence why I would not reveal such a spot and certainly not on a forum. One in respect of my mate's spot and second because the place would be ruined very quickly.

On another hand if a newbie wanted to hunt the kaimais I would encourage him to explore Thomson track, wairere falls or Te Rui track.
    It's a tough school to develop and hone your hunting skills but once you got a deer there, you know you would have really deserved it.

I have been on the receiving end of having people try to get their own access to private areas I have shown them, a number of times. It has made me a much less sharing person, now.
    After having been told no GPS one guy insulted me by saying my speedo was out!
    Oh how do you know that I asked
    sheepishly he said I had my gps on..... but I didnt pin any spots.

Personally I treat the situation ( being shown an area) as if it belonged to the person showing me, and if I need to go back there, I ask them first before any other steps are taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Back to public land …

Im only too happy for someone I’ve taken to a spot to go back another day, take his bro up thhere, shoot a deer if he can. Most often its the new visitor who misses out and they guy who know the block gets one the first time.
    this is a big one for me. private land, certainly it would be rude but public? nah, I've no issues with guys going back later and having a go on their own. 90% of your success on a hunt is down to skill and luck, we've all been into those places where there is a ton of sign, fresh hoofprints and seen nothing. if a newbie wants to go out and practice somewhere they know there are animals, to get their eye in, more power to them.

i also assume that if it's within a 3hr walk from anywhere you can get a car to then it's no secret.
    Bagheera, 20 Bore, Fatberg and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    this is a big one for me. private land, certainly it would be rude but public? nah, I've no issues with guys going back later and having a go on their own. 90% of your success on a hunt is down to skill and luck, we've all been into those places where there is a ton of sign, fresh hoofprints and seen nothing. if a newbie wants to go out and practice somewhere they know there are animals, to get their eye in, more power to them.

i also assume that if it's within a 3hr walk from anywhere you can get a car to then it's no secret.
    ""if it's within a 3hr walk from anywhere you can get a car to then it's no secret.""

Mmm.... you couldnt be further from the trulth! There are quite a few areas in my neck of the woods that are less than 1.5 hours walk from the car and they the best kept secrets around.
    Ive got spots next to no one goes to, or one person a year etc and they prob looking for a dog lol and they prime spots for deer.

Some of those spots i havnt seen a boot mark for years in there and i can likely see a deer within 20min walk........
    These are the spots that have been hard earned, going to numerous spots that have failed or arent well kept secrets lol but they are out there.

And theres more than people think and in places others just wouldnt dream about going so they the spots you dont always want to share , otherwise they end up f .cked

No one goes there because they all drive past, looks to gnargy to even think about going there for a look but are gems for a bush stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I’ll add some “protocol” for hunting private blocks.
    be a bit upset if he has been out scouting around at 9pm to make sure you haven’t come a cropper. He will be especially upset when you ignore his voicemail and text messages afterwards and then just show up a few weeks later expecting everything to be all good.
    To my mind is about courtesy to a man who own the lands, awareness of their operation and accountability of being guest. For the "protocol" part, may is just people issue, who shared what with whom on where, since share the happiness of fishing & hunting with people is a pleasure.
    As for the exchange of favor, I am happy to do so but I though if put real cash into this sort relation will not be propriety. I like small games, I can `t some farm works, cooking if farmers like to eat something different from their daily, or something else. But, I am still in phase 1.0 looking for doors to knock.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.