Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Public Land Roar Predictions?

I predict some poor hua will get shot most likely over Easter. Identify your target

Some great predictions and some grim predictions here but I guess that's a good reminder to everyone to be careful.

Keep reading the Tea Leaves. I reckon it will be the 20th March in Canterbury High Country and Early April in Southland because that's when I'm getting out

Going to be some big stags shot this year and lot of young promising ones because of Lockdown last year and limited WARO activity. Looking forward to seeing what some people drag out of the hills!

4th - 7th April is a safe bet for reds and has been for the last 5 years of my hunting. Both in the Ruahines and in Southland. I’ve consistently (4 years in a row) shot stags on the 5th of April, between 9 and 10 am according to my diaries. Am hoping for a similar result this year but I’m guiding two of my mates this roar so the onus is on me to get them onto something they will be happy with. I’ll be happy with an old stag of any quality.

I think public land will be packed this roar and i’m hoping we can push a day or two away from a road end to avoid that but I’m not holding my breath.
    Moa Hunter, Ned and Dusty Fog like this.

they will roar when they want to
    #BallisticFists

Have just heard a few sika heehawing, ahimanawas.

We are in the kaimanawa area as we speak, have been for a week and haven’t heard anything other than some sika hinds who are not happy to see us.
    We head out this time every year and this is the quietest it’s ever been for us so thinking they might be a little later this year.

Yeah hoping for a late one.. preferably between the 7th and 27th April !

Quote Originally Posted by Grantn View Post
    Some great predictions and some grim predictions here but I guess that's a good reminder to everyone to be careful.

Keep reading the Tea Leaves. I reckon it will be the 20th March in Canterbury High Country and Early April in Southland because that's when I'm getting out

Going to be some big stags shot this year and lot of young promising ones because of Lockdown last year and limited WARO activity. Looking forward to seeing what some people drag out of the hills!
    Maybe marginally bigger stags. But realistically a significant portion of stags shot are sub 4 years and realistically to be big need to be getting into the 7-8 range. So 2 years of mild waro and one year off the roar won't magically raise the average enough to make a significant difference. The only difference I see will be more 3 or 4 year olds shot than 2 or 3 year olds. I've been seeing more stags than ever but they have tended to be around that 3-4 or younger range with the odd exception.

Ned
    Heard a couple of roars this morning. Oh. Hang on. That was me. After cutting a fair bit of fresh stag sign then running out of real estate to stalk without turning back with the breeze. Thought I may as well. I mean something or someone has to male the first move eventually. Silence followed.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Shot a mature stag last night. He wasn't pizzled up and no roaring. Nth Wairarapa.
    Last edited by Tahr; 13-03-2021 at 10:22 PM.
    Stocky and Been Upto like this.

Cousin called in to say gidday today, he had heard a few moans local public land.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

For those that like to work from temperature, here in the Kaimai's the early morning temperature has dropped to 9 degrees from the usual 12...this is at 200 metres ASL so will be way colder up on top...from my experience the temperature will drop and then there will be a warm period and then a sudden very cold spell and at this point the stags will go strong...because I am so deaf now I have to drag the wife outside to listen if any stags are roaring as she has excellent hearing, but sadly no sense of humour...although this year I have my $6500 hearing aids, so I will try them out on listening for stags...so far all I have heard on them is bull shit from humans so seldom wear them.

Might wait a bit until the rush is over. May be too many people in the hills for my liking. Especially after last years non event.
    Chelsea likes this.

Shot my 12 on April 10th,5 years ago.Roared 2 in the night befor.What a great pass time to get yr heart racing.

20th March I start and have shot 3 on that day in the Hauhangaroas and the latest was a red chasing a hind and roaring on 18th July 2011.
    If antlers are hard and a hind is cycling stags will roar.
    Micky Duck likes this.