Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Questionable Deer Meat- Help Requested

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    This sounds a little strange that the meat could have gone "off " so quickly ?
    The time frame of gutting and getting home , 2 hours , would of meant the meat would of still been hot . So what is your meat bag made of
    ?.
    And another possibility might be what you could call the fresh meat smell ,personally I can't stand it .Especially when you get that hot meaty smell from a whole deer when you're carrying it . Heat can send meat off fast but I would also expect a slimy ,almost sticky nature to it ?.
    Hey Tankd, just a straight old meat bag from the big green shop. The smell wasn't fresh, more ammonia and off meat. It stank and certainly nothing you would like to put in your mouth.
    Not quite at the sticky stage but certainly not at the hey this is nice and fresh meat either.
    Will try the vinegar trick next time but this was more coming from deeper in the flesh.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Hi All

I'm by no means an expert on how to hang my animals and take care of them. But I cocked up with my first deer last week and learnt the hard way as it was all fu**ed.
    Went to a local home kill / commercial butcher who then gave me a lesson on what to do.

Obviously skinning and gutting ASAP. Then if it is a long drive home, putting bags of ice into the body as quickly as possible. When home, hanging it by the back legs, opening the ball joints and brisket. Then replace the ice with fresh bags or big juice bottles with frozen water to keep it cold until it can go to a chiller.
    He also said that I shouldn't have wrapped it in muslin cloth as it doesn't allow enough air around the meat even with fans. But instead I should have got a mosquito net and created a Cinderella drape to allow lots of airflow and keep the flies off.
    This is what he wants me to do just in the few hours before I get the animal to his cool store, even will open on a weekend for me!

Just my two cents.

R93
    I always chill with skin on. I never put water or ice anywhere near it.

Pop the hind legs. Cut away the gut flap to the ribs.
    Hang overnight to set outside the chiller with good airflow then put in the chiller next day. Cut away any shot damaged meat including neck shot stuff.
    Never had a carcass or any portion there of go off doing it that way.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

ice is good often four quarters go off real quick especially pork or anything that is big as it takes so long to cool a simple trick to help if you have no chiller is freeze some 2L , coke bottles etc when you get home with an animal just drop them into the ribcage try & pac half a dozen in there they stay frozen for a long time.
    few years ago I knocked over a bush cow on dark gutted it then went back in the morning to cut it up it was still warm & by that stage parts were green and rank ended up dog tucker .