Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By wsm junkie
  • 5 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By 25/08 IMP
  • 1 Post By Murray N
  • 1 Post By 25/08 IMP

Thread: Rangi hut in the Ruahines

Rangi hut in the Ruahines

Has anyone been up there lately, or can anyone see if there is much snow up there at the moment.
    Is it too early to venture up there.
    Thanks

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

When I was meat hunting I used to get them on the top fringe of the leather wood in and around the Maungahuia saddle in October.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    When I was meat hunting I used to get them on the top fringe of the leather wood in and around the Maungahuia saddle in October.
    Thanks for that i usually go further down the range, but have always wanted to go up there. I thought after last week there may be a fair amount of snow around.

Looking at Ruahines and cant see any snow
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    Looking at Ruahines and cant see any snow
    Awesome thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    Thanks for that i usually go further down the range, but have always wanted to go up there. I thought after last week there may be a fair amount of snow around.

Past Maungahuia is the lower end of the sub range and doesn't collect so much snow and gets earlier growth.

This is looking at Maungahuia Point and into the saddle area from the top of Dead Mans track. You come off the high point and down to the saddle if you are coming from Rangi hut. Keep heading south from here and stick to the lower benches looking into the Orua.

Name:  Rangiwahia and Deadmans Ridge  July 2012_20120727_0027-1.JPG
Views: 630
Size:  220.9 KB

Ive shot plenty of deer in these conditions up there.
    Last edited by Tahr; 09-10-2022 at 08:59 PM.
    199p, cb14, Mathias and 2 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Past Maungahuia is the lower end of the sub range and doesn't collect so much snow and gets earlier growth.

This is looking at Maungahuia Point and into the saddle area from the top of Dead Mans track. You come off the high point and down to the saddle if you are coming from Rangi hut. Keep heading south from here and stick to the lower benches looking into the Orua.

Attachment 207731
    Awesome thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    Awesome thanks mate

Ive edited that.
    - Rumi

Not sure if we will come from the hut or fly camp if we do fly camp will probably go Deadmans.
    But it maybe a tad cold

Snow all gone, still pretty chilly up there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rangidan View Post
    Snow all gone, still pretty chilly up there!!
    Thanks i think we might go and check it out if the weather holds for the weekend

Tahr likes this.

Just returned from the eastern side. Only pockets of snow above 1500m so really only speartooth etc has any decent amount.

This thread has taken me back in time , over 55 years in fact to when i first hunted deadmans , not much of a track back then but we made do , one winter we decided to recut the track which we often used until DOC found it and that was the end of that , we would walk up the main Rangi track for 20 min before climbing up through the bush which brought us out at the top of the first steep part at the start of Deadmans , out track finished at the first patch of tussock , although we pushed on a few times the leatherwood was hard work , instead from the first patch of tussock we cut a track down a spur to the South and up to the ridge on the other side , on the other side of the ridge is a beautiful warm sheltered basin which you can not see from Deadmans , Rex Thompson had told me about this basin as Rex and his Brothers had hunted for skins many years before , there wires for drying skins where still strung between the Mountain Cedars , Rex wrote a book called ( What A Life ) and lived just north of Rangiwahia in the early years of his life , much of the book is about his time hunting that area and further north as far as the Pourangaki , where they would take there horses up through the bush and onto the tussock tops .
    We did quite well in the sheltered basin and would either carry them out whole or pin bone them and continue on and do the Rangi Loop .
    cb14 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray N View Post
    This thread has taken me back in time , over 55 years in fact to when i first hunted deadmans , not much of a track back then but we made do , one winter we decided to recut the track which we often used until DOC found it and that was the end of that , we would walk up the main Rangi track for 20 min before climbing up through the bush which brought us out at the top of the first steep part at the start of Deadmans , out track finished at the first patch of tussock , although we pushed on a few times the leatherwood was hard work , instead from the first patch of tussock we cut a track down a spur to the South and up to the ridge on the other side , on the other side of the ridge is a beautiful warm sheltered basin which you can not see from Deadmans , Rex Thompson had told me about this basin as Rex and his Brothers had hunted for skins many years before , there wires for drying skins where still strung between the Mountain Cedars , Rex wrote a book called ( What A Life ) and lived just north of Rangiwahia in the early years of his life , much of the book is about his time hunting that area and further north as far as the Pourangaki , where they would take there horses up through the bush and onto the tussock tops .
    We did quite well in the sheltered basin and would either carry them out whole or pin bone them and continue on and do the Rangi Loop .
    @Murray N There was an old skin hunters track through Murray Thompson's place straight to that basin (fruit cake gully we called it). About 1970 myself and 2 mates opened it up for meat hunting. We spent many days opening it up cutting new routes and detours and I think left a bit of a legacy. It forked at the Maungora creek. Left fork (across the creek) to the basin and straight ahead to the tussock tops looking into the Orua. On the main track to the tops we had a fly camp by a big broad leaf (that had an old slasher of ours embedded in it) where you enter the leather wood. In the end some low life cleaned our stuff out. Nowadys you can access both of those tracks from the end of Bowling road.

@25/08 IMP dis you go up last week end?
    - Rumi

@Murray N There was an old skin hunters track through Murray Thompson's place straight to that basin (fruit cake gully we called it). About 1970 myself and 2 mates opened it up for meat hunting. We spent many days opening it up cutting new routes and detours and I think left a bit of a legacy. It forked at the Maungora creek. Left fork (across the creek) to the basin and straight ahead to the tussock tops looking into the Orua. On the main track to the tops we had a fly camp by a big broad leaf (that had an old slasher of ours embedded in it) where you enter the leather wood. In the end some low life cleaned our stuff out. Nowadys you can access both of those tracks from the end of Bowling road.

@25/08 IMP dis you go up last week end?
    No didn't end up going my mate got crock and heavy cloud was forecast so bugger it i stayed home and did a few jobs.

Tahr likes this.