Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Recomendations - Kaimanawa Huts

Well it looks like we will still be in detention in level 2 so there goes any plans. If only there were deer in Waitakeres..

Stanfields gone I think , I was in the Tikitiki when Bola struck under a bit of Black Polythene and survived somehow , I remember looking in disbelief when we were walking out on the Te-ringa/Oamaru track at some faces that had trees just flattened out .
    Shearer likes this.

Is Frank’s bivvy still standing?
    superdiver likes this.

Was in WAiouru when Bola struck. Sounded like just another shitty storm. But the next weekend went up to Waipakahi roadend and you could see where the wind had gone...skipped over a valley, then hit a ridge and 90% of the trees were blasted flat. All 1or2km worth of a ridgeline. Then a bit further along the wind had slammed into the middle of a hillside, and smashed trees to pieces. Would have been utterly scary to have been in the bush there.

We flew over the pine area north of Clements Rd and was a mass of flattened pines for miles, it looked like a nuclear bomb had flattened it, large areas of beech forest was also demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Stanfields gone I think , I was in the Tikitiki when Bola struck under a bit of Black Polythene and survived somehow , I remember looking in disbelief when we were walking out on the Te-ringa/Oamaru track at some faces that had trees just flattened out .
    Yeah. The river eat it.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    my older brother was up clemants road when that hit...i remember going in with Dad to collect him...he walked out leaving car to collect later.

he tells tale,comes across guy using chainsaw with a will clearing trees...introduced himself ,great one of guys missing...and got message out for us to pick him up...the guy still keen to cut the nRon says Xamount of trees between here and there,guy slows up...another X amount between there and somewhere else...guy turns off saw..and another Xamount between there and road end...was huge number 200ish if memory serves me correctly...the amount of windblown trees was unreal,lots of tracks gone and the deer took ages to work new tracks into places..... it makes bush stalking really hard when so many fallen trees for deer to feed in and around...you got to get in close and be able to see them while still keeping quiet and wind correct.
    Bola wouldve been ???early 80s???
    Suspect you're thinking of Cyclone Bernie, MD? Easter 1982...........

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Suspect you're thinking of Cyclone Bernie, MD? Easter 1982...........
    Think you have it, always thought someone was looking out for hunters that night.

88 I was heading to a wedding in Tauranga on the Desert Road in the eye of the Cyclone fun experience couldn't differentiate between asphalt and side of the road :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sika Seeker View Post
    Is Frank’s bivvy still standing?
    Yes

When I lived up north used to hunt the sth kaimanawas around kaimanawa rd and waipakahi rd worth a look not too much human traffic