Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Removing the windpipe and esophagus

One slit up the front of the neck, separate wind pipe and esophagus. Tie a knot in esophagus and then reach up rip out whole lot from inside gut cavity. Literally no meat on that front face of neck anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I'm owed some gold medals then
    No sorry you only get Silver because of not doing a post mortem check
    Tahr likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    One slit up the front of the neck, separate wind pipe and esophagus. Tie a knot in esophagus and then reach up rip out whole lot from inside gut cavity. Literally no meat on that front face of neck anyway.
    Agree totally, that is what do too, but I will try Tahrs incision system as that will keep the front of the neck chops clean.

Gonna have to have a go at this removing it from the inside thing, I always just go straight in, incision down the stomach and around the bum, come up other side and remove pizzle or vagina and udder tissue, then release bumhole and pinch it from the outside with one hand, reach inside and feel my way to the back with other hand, pinch around the bumhole with hand that is now inside the animal then pull all the guts forward and out in one motion, cut through diaphragm and release it all the way round, then poke knife hand right up as far as I can and slice through windpipe and esophagus from the inside (all by feel as cant see this part of process) and pull vitals out. Tell the truth I've never been much of a fan of neck chops etc and they usually go in the dog pile and this process doesnt really seem to affect any of the meat I'm going to take off the carcass once it's been hung anyhow.
    dannyb likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    If it is an immediate carry I can understand what is being said about leakage but I don't agree. It is not possible to make a perfect gutting job without removing the widepipe because when that is pulled down a membrane inside the chest and gut cavity peels down and leaves the whole inside spotless. I will give Tahr and Brians method of making an incision at the larynx a go
    Buy a 'Game Gear' Carry cape, no blood on clothes and replaces your lightweight raincoat.
    Ryan try this:
    1)Animal faced down hill, cut artery at jaw line to drain
    2) 'Bung hole' animal - Arse hole / vagina cut around pull out tie off, pizzle off, tail off
    3) split skin on tummy with the animal faced down hill which keeps pressure off the lower abdomen so the intestines aren't bursting out through the incision as you cut.
    4) turn animal to face uphill
    5) free up and tie off wind pipe trying Tahrs system
    6) finish abdominal incision up to ribcage
    7)Start the guts coming out to make room for hands
    8) reach in cut around both sides of the diaphragm all the way to spine
    9) Grip windpipe and pull down, everything will come out including arsehole to leave a perfect clean Gold Medal winning job
    10) Inspect lungs/wind pipe , diaphragm, liver, for disease cyst's, TB lesions. Check liver for Fluke if taking it
    The tail, pizzle and back wheels are worth too much coin to leave behind.

On Hinds/young out of Roar Stags - pull it back into gut cavity without any opening of neck skin
    Stag - Roar or old tough ones - incision just in front of brisket - take it out the front
    Bugger carry anything you don’t have too - mind you today most are backed up to with a Quad - if not neck totally removed - flopping/over balancing bloody thing – was different when they were $$ income

Yes - leave the arse sealed until finished carry - if carried

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I do mainly to let the chest cavity drain and just so there is nothing manky in there to go off prematurely.
    Also saves trying to find somewhere to dispose of it at the chiller.

I dont open up the skin on the neck usually, if its a young animal it will all pull out attached to the lungs if you reach up around them and grab the pipe.

Ends up looking no different to a gutted deer with its head cut off.
    Same as you Vc just reach down in there and pull it out .
    veitnamcam likes this.

R93
    I cant believe people are happy to waste the neck meat.
    It is amazing for all sorts of stuff.
    As far as the oesophagus goes I always use it to pull the pluck thru after bleeding. I dont care about a bit of blood carrying as it is sort of expected if your hunting. If you havent pumped a round into the body and you do it right, there is little to no blood to worry about anyway.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, BRADS and Moa Hunter like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ive always removed the esophagus / wind pipe as I was told by a old school hunter that its the first place fly's like to blow.
    veitnamcam, R93 and Moa Hunter like this.

Whole neck recipe :
    In a large casserole , ( or crock pot but it takes longer)Fry some onions in olive oil till brown.
    Sear the neck meat ( don't need to remove it from the bone).
    Chop three or four carrots and a handful of mushroom had to the meet and the onions.
    Chuck a bottle of white wine in and had water till all the ingredients are covered .
    One table spoon of salt, herbs, spices.
    Simmer for three to for hours , covered till the meat falls from the bone. You can chuck in some potatoes half way in ,if you have enough space.
    This recipe is a variant of an ox tail receive. If you want the dish to be a bit more fatty ,you can chuck in a couple of ox tail bones with the fat.
    Enjoy. And no more excuses for not bringing back the neck and eating it!

R93
    Will give that a go.
    I usually casserole the neck meat or roast individual vertebrae and make a rich stock for venison Jus, sausage rolls etc.
    If you want to broaden your venison culinary skills. Try this book.
    It is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Scouser and Moa Hunter like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

For a bit of variation to stews with necks, shanks and shoulders, slow cook them with a tin of Pataks or your favourite vindaloo paste. Guarantee you will carry these cuts out after trying it and not for dog tucker!
    R93, Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Banned
    Venny neck chops are the ultimate. I cut the yellow tendon off the back off the neck now because it doesn't cook down. When that is cut off it is very easy to see where to split the vertebrae and separate the chops
    veitnamcam and R93 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Will give that a go.
    I usually casserole the neck meat or roast individual vertebrae and make a rich stock for venison Jus, sausage rolls etc.
    If you want to broaden your venison culinary skills. Try this book.
    It is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Great book. Was given it as a gift and found hard to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    If it is an immediate carry I can understand what is being said about leakage but I don't agree. It is not possible to make a perfect gutting job without removing the widepipe because when that is pulled down a membrane inside the chest and gut cavity peels down and leaves the whole inside spotless. I will give Tahr and Brians method of making an incision at the larynx a go
    Buy a 'Game Gear' Carry cape, no blood on clothes and replaces your lightweight raincoat.
    Ryan try this:
    1)Animal faced down hill, cut artery at jaw line to drain
    2) 'Bung hole' animal - Arse hole / vagina cut around pull out tie off, pizzle off, tail off
    3) split skin on tummy with the animal faced down hill which keeps pressure off the lower abdomen so the intestines aren't bursting out through the incision as you cut.
    4) turn animal to face uphill
    5) free up and tie off wind pipe trying Tahrs system
    6) finish abdominal incision up to ribcage
    7)Start the guts coming out to make room for hands
    8) reach in cut around both sides of the diaphragm all the way to spine
    9) Grip windpipe and pull down, everything will come out including arsehole to leave a perfect clean Gold Medal winning job
    10) Inspect lungs/wind pipe , diaphragm, liver, for disease cyst's, TB lesions. Check liver for Fluke if taking it
    This is how I was taught by farmer butchery judge from Marlborough.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!