Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Removing the windpipe and esophagus

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I cant believe people are happy to waste the neck meat.
    It is amazing for all sorts of stuff.
    As far as the oesophagus goes I always use it to pull the pluck thru after bleeding. I dont care about a bit of blood carrying as it is sort of expected if your hunting. If you havent pumped a round into the body and you do it right, there is little to no blood to worry about anyway.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Neck meat wasn't wasted - camp oven 10 hour cook - neck meat on most animals tastiest
    Ever eaten Beef Checks
    Best of the best !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I mostly don't. For the reasons you say and its just another entry for dirt and shit.
    I just make a cut in the thorax and pull it out from the inside. That lets the air in and the blood out but leaves the neck sealed up. A lot cleaner until you get home when you can take it all out.

Out of habit from my meat hunting days I leave the ears on too. To me they look naked without their ears.

Attachment 130280

p.s. when I was meat hunting I would drain the blood through the neck hole I made and leave the arse in and tie the bum tube off. That way I didn't have blood running down the back of my legs from the arse hole during the carry.
    Looks like you blew their faces off with buckshot lol! With gutted animals at this stage skin down from rib cage to neck and skin back and remove entire wind pipe as none of the edible meat is there it will bleed out best that way, we only cut the wind pipe in field if its a large animal moose ,elk , or caribou and cutting the wind pipe from the upper cavity is out of reach and thats for gutting purposes only usually quartering is to follow, a lot of oldtimers cut the neck first thing and have seen a few nice mounts ruined that way!
    Personally I like neck, shoulder and shank meat as I find it tastier, slow cooked it's hard to beat!

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    If it is an immediate carry I can understand what is being said about leakage but I don't agree. It is not possible to make a perfect gutting job without removing the widepipe because when that is pulled down a membrane inside the chest and gut cavity peels down and leaves the whole inside spotless. I will give Tahr and Brians method of making an incision at the larynx a go
    Buy a 'Game Gear' Carry cape, no blood on clothes and replaces your lightweight raincoat.
    Ryan try this:
    1)Animal faced down hill, cut artery at jaw line to drain
    2) 'Bung hole' animal - Arse hole / vagina cut around pull out tie off, pizzle off, tail off
    3) split skin on tummy with the animal faced down hill which keeps pressure off the lower abdomen so the intestines aren't bursting out through the incision as you cut.
    4) turn animal to face uphill
    5) free up and tie off wind pipe trying Tahrs system
    6) finish abdominal incision up to ribcage
    7)Start the guts coming out to make room for hands
    8) reach in cut around both sides of the diaphragm all the way to spine
    9) Grip windpipe and pull down, everything will come out including arsehole to leave a perfect clean Gold Medal winning job
    10) Inspect lungs/wind pipe , diaphragm, liver, for disease cyst's, TB lesions. Check liver for Fluke if taking it
    so Moa when bung holeing the animal is the bum tube completely loosened from cutting around, pulling out and tying off?then it will come out whole when extracting the rest of the guts?nothing needed to be done/cut from the inside of the animal?