Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Rituals - what are yours?

Porridge ......... always porridge.
    40mm and RUMPY like this.

I usually leave something I need at home , its not a ritual but it seems to happen every time I go for a hunt.
    Pack out heavy

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    A portable speaker cranking ABBA .
    thats just sick.......
    RUMPY likes this.

After watching the red stag hunters club the one on Stewart Island I’ve taken to swapping out the bullet in the chamber and giving the new one a kiss for luck. Funny thing is it’s worked every time! My English mate thinks it’s nuts but where now four for four
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Wake up at least 3 times before the alarm because im paranoid about sleeping in.
    Im the opposite. Cant be assed getting up at sparrows anymore. I shoot my deer in the evenings
    NRT, erniec, Ranger 888 and 1 others like this.

Could probably incorporate all of the above into one dam fine goat 'blessing' ceremony
    Don’t want to get caught with a goat! A guy that lived across the road from the sawmill, got caught by his wife shagging it. She was a bit upset, she moved a bed and his belongings out on to an open veranda, he was allowed inside the house for meals, but if he like goats more than her, he could live on the veranda. So that’s what happened, the first meal after that was curried goat. True story
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I always have a drink out of my cupped hands in the first creek or decent looking trickle of water I find on my hunt.

It gives me an excuse to take the place in for a few minutes.

After guiding numbnuts who have managed to forget about every essential item over the years ,l am OCD about having everything laid out & triple checked before a hunt ,l am lucky as have a selection of local places to hunt so have a back pack ready packed & just grab & go as often if l knock over the farm jobs early l will just take off for a arvo hunt ,also check weather reports 22 times before heading off on extended trips.

The night before hunts l sharpen & check knives ,l find it therapeutic & gives you time to plan out options B & C if needed & l always break down my Carcasses in the field now for ease of carry out & meat quality ,so it makes the job a lot easier than worrying about major sharpening in the field,a couple of light touch ups makes it a far easier job.
    JessicaChen and Micky Duck like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

I tidy up the living room, open up a large area on the carpet, and lay things out while checking off a checklist. I double and triple check that the absolute essentials such as headlamp, phone, paper map, compass, bolt, ammo, phone charger/battery pack, and plb are in my pack and that i wont forget to pick them up when i exit the house. No point checking off that checklist if last minute i leave the phone on my bedside table or desk or something.
    Pretty boring but that is my ritual.
    Oh and waking up several times the night before a hunt and becoming sleep deprived because I am excited.

Checking all your gear the night before and sharpening the knife and knowing everything is going to work actually has more value than we probably realise, with all the concentration needed for stalking, it is highly conducive not to be going over that list in ones head or trying to remember if the knife is sharp.
    Being prepared for success increases the chances of success.

One ritual type thing I do like to do though is eyeball domestic deer the day before deer stalking.
    It helps if you do that on a farm where they know you.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I try to find a virgin goat, a sharp knife and a block of edam.
    A portable speaker cranking ABBA and some skin tight outfit.
    Full moon usually works best.
    abba? go wash your mouth out with soap!!!!

my ritual is referring to the mrs as "wonder woman"
    every morning......." i wonder where my keys are..........i wonder where i left my phone............i wonder where my purse is.....................etc"

Gone but not forgotten
    I usually pack my bag the night before, and leave a big note on the car passenger seat saying "LUNCH!!!!" so I don't leave without it - I forgot once and that was a hard day. Boot, walking pole, gaiters and spare clothes in the car the night before, in the morning grab daypack, rifle out of the safe (hopefully the same one I have ammo for!).

I also check and recheck the forecast wind direction for the day, most of my regular hunting spots I have a loop I walk, and different entry and exit points, and the wind direction decides which way round I go.
    JessicaChen and Micky Duck like this.

I have to start the day in dry socks. Doesn't matter how wet my boots are, they have to go on over dry socks.
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    I usually leave something I need at home , its not a ritual but it seems to happen every time I go for a hunt.
    Bolts, magazine or correct ammo work best for this scene! ( a knife will do at a pinch)
    With a Finnwolf the first item is unlikely but no.2 has happened…
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’