Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree1062Likes

Thread: The Roar - Let's see some photos!

Great pics and a nice Fallow head to top it off with.

Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control we had an absolutely shocker of a roar with no sign where there always has in the past 11yrs and not a roar to be heard
    I will not be posting any pics.

However some great memories makers in the last few pages

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Sport mode because of the faster shutter speed? I'm getting used to my sx60, but finding getting really crisp images a bit of a mission eh.
    Tripod & self timer or remote shutter release, so your not holding the camera helps. If the situation allows for that of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Tripod & self timer or remote shutter release, so your not holding the camera helps. If the situation allows for that of course.
    Yeah I've been doing that for years, the self timer trick. It works well
    7mmsaum and Dougie like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Brilliant Dougie, well done mate....your well on your way now....whats that Red, Sika & Fallow in the last year?....sweet
    Sika hybrids only, still sooooooo keen to shoot a sika!!!!!

But yes a great last few months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    deer243 likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Sport mode because of the faster shutter speed? I'm getting used to my sx60, but finding getting really crisp images a bit of a mission eh.
    Yeah I need a tripod. Distance shots are even harder to focus, especially when there is grass/something else in the foreground.

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Home again after another epic trip into the hills. My mate Glen has been holding his trigger finger for a good while now, waiting for a decent stag. After several trips looking, and on this one... hours of smashing through the shittest bush ever we managed to achieve that goal. It was roar-hunting at its finest, and we had curve balls thrown at us all trip. We got this stag over 5 hours after first hearing him, 3 hours after seeing him and 2 hours after roaring back and forwards within 50 metres of him in a nasty gully. He is a very good stag from this area.To say we were stoked is an understatement.

Attachment 35554

Mate that is an awesome looking head, will there be a full report?

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Mate that is an awesome looking head, will there be a full report?
    Thanks man. My mate is stoked, I'm stoked for him. I'll maybe throw a decent report up in May after opening weekend, as I'll be hunting right thru till then and may have more to add!
    199p and Dougie like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Entered my first ever hunting comp on the weekend, shot down to Wairarapa to pick up my supressed .223 (care of Scott Trail). AWESOME can, super quiet. He also does a good one for his 300WinMag too thanks to the wind, even up close I borrowed his banger to knock over my first Fallow buck.

Four big wins for me this weekend:
    1. awesome quiet, light suppressor on my wee gun
    2. new Canon SX60 put through it's paces with pics from 900yards!!!!!
    3. being the one who spotted the most deer, I spotted my buck from over 600 yards away when the boys couldn't see it
    4. whacking over my first fallow, and a buck to boot!

When I arrived at the comp I thought I might be in for the prettiest deer prize (best visual head) as there were only scrappy farm reds, big but ugly IMHO. Then the big even deer started piling in as well as this absolutely amazing 10 point pure sika shot by a young 16 year old maori boy who was the most modest, cruisey little hunter I've ever met. This kid has some serious Mana.

Heaviest hind quarters were heavier than my whole stag! I had the lightest deer in the whole comp and there was one other fallow. The monster head matches those heavy back legs.

Wicked wicked weekend

Attachment 35565
    Attachment 35566
    Attachment 35567

Even at just 52kg, carrying whole with the head attached is freakin' hard - I am only 62kg myself. Luckily the boys carried my pikau and rifle for me!
    Great pics and good success. Go you!
    I've always been a bit agin hunting comps. Have always thought that they vacuum up a lot of handy animals for the sake of winning rather than the pleasure of the hunt. But that's a personal thing and I'm not judging.

I am judging here though Dougie. Like everyone Im wrapped to see you getting success and making a career out of writing. But keep your feet on the ground eh, and don't become too enamored by the the privileged pozzy, bullshit talking, and nasty life of the so called modern day "professionals" (a.k.a magazine writers, game preserve hunters and their hyped associates). Instead, take your best pleasure from being an ordinary hunter doing ordinary things well. That way you will derive maximum satisfaction, maintain your self respect and the respect of others.

Yeah, that was pretty damned judgmental, eh.

R93
    I agree regarding hunting comps.
    Hate them with a passion. Full of cheats that have lost all respect for the animals.
    Hunting is not and should never be a competition.
    Fosters stupid bravado ethics in the younger generation imo, as well.

Kids varmint comps I like as it gets kids involved early and a few pesties cleaned up for farmers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    gimp, 7mmsaum, craigc and 13 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Those black antlers are cool JoshC awesome beast.
    JoshC likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Thanks @Tahr, contribute away! As I'm sure you know I have a lot of respect for you and am glad to have your continuing support and help.

Honestly the boys were laughing at me just being so over the moon that I has seen the deer first. I'm not a BAD spotter but I tend to hang out with people who are brilliant so never see the bambis first. So I was super chuffed to see this guy from so far away and then get to whack him over too!

I hope your comment is general though and I haven't done something specific to spark a response. I'm loving getting out there and really see every opportunity as a real privilege.

And I haven't forgotten my roots

sako75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I agree regarding hunting comps.
    Hate them with a passion. Full of cheats that have lost all respect for the animals.
    Hunting is not and should never be a competition.
    Fosters stupid bravado ethics in the younger generation imo, as well.

Kids varmint comps I like as it gets kids involved early and a few pesties cleaned up for farmers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I totally agree!!
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

The Roar - Let's see some photos!

Thanks @Tahr, contribute away! As I'm sure you know I have a lot of respect for you and am glad to have your continuing support and help.

Honestly the boys were laughing at me just being so over the moon that I has seen the deer first. I'm not a BAD spotter but I tend to hang out with people who are brilliant so never see the bambis first. So I was super chuffed to see this guy from so far away and then get to whack him over too!

I hope your comment is general though and I haven't done something specific to spark a response. I'm loving getting out there and really see every opportunity as a real privilege.

And I haven't forgotten my roots

Private block?@Dougie

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Private block?@Dougie

Wairarapa? Yeah cuz. I piked out on my public land hunt on Friday after my bf rang me telling me had been shot at in public land up the coast.

Wairarapa? Yeah cuz. I piked out on my public land hunt on Friday after my bf rang me telling me had been shot at in public land up the coast.