Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree1062Likes

Thread: The Roar - Let's see some photos!

Went for a walk upto rangi hut today
    Nothing seen or herd bit was more of just a stroll

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1426400391399.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  520.2 KB
    BRADS, Gibo and time out like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    She's on in the Ruahines today boys.
    Stags are going nato

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ahhhhh yuck I still have 3 Uni assignments to get done, all nighters here we come! Glad the weather is poos for the next couple of days!
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

Got out of four days in the Tararuas yesterday and didn't hear any roaring there yet - they say that the ruas are usually late but I never knew if that was an old myth

Saw plenty of stoats though

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Got out of four days in the Tararuas yesterday and didn't hear any roaring there yet - they say that the ruas are usually late but I never knew if that was an old myth

Saw plenty of stoats though
    from what iv discovered in the past few years they dont usually start till april, i am hoping its the same this year since i have 2 weeks off chasing them up there after easter weekend.
    DanS likes this.

Been up the Snee Road end again. They just starting up there,heard a few distant roars tonight.

Found a gut bag over here and some bones,fairly fresh.

PT having the last look before we decended

Just as we were nearly ready to climb back down young Petree and his bro n law with kid turns up. Handshakes all round,few yarns spilled and left them to it as this bugger has cows to try and get milk out of in the morning.
    Dougie, Scouser and Danny like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Shot and lost a small stag in the kaimais this morning. The blood trail was big hat size splatters for the first 50 yards , then hand size for the next 50 , then slowly disappeared too nothing . Gps said I followed him 250 mtrs .
    I shot him inside 20 metres , aiming too take out his front wheels but think I might have gone just behind the shoulder. No sign of lung blood , or gut blood just dark red stuff.
    I went after him too fucken quick , he was holding about 60mtrs from where I shot him and probly would have sat down and seised up if I hadent been a dick . Once he spooked it was all over .
    Duno if I need a cuddle or a kick in the arse right now , but Im feeling abit suck.
    Kiwiman and DanS like this.

sounds like a liver shot. any roaring in the kaimais?

If there was that much blood he shouldn't of gone much further

Ratshit bro.

Got my first stag for the season in the nelson region today. Tried a old haunt havnt been to in months, shot a typical scrubby nelson stag. pointer but boy was he fat as mud. perfect meat animal, wasnt smelly, hasnt rutted so was a good day. plus first animal for the 308

R93
    Bummer mate. It happens tho.
    Sounds like a flesh wound to me if it dried up.
    What bullet?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    Shot and lost a small stag in the kaimais this morning. The blood trail was big hat size splatters for the first 50 yards , then hand size for the next 50 , then slowly disappeared too nothing . Gps said I followed him 250 mtrs .
    I shot him inside 20 metres , aiming too take out his front wheels but think I might have gone just behind the shoulder. No sign of lung blood , or gut blood just dark red stuff.
    I went after him too fucken quick , he was holding about 60mtrs from where I shot him and probly would have sat down and seised up if I hadent been a dick . Once he spooked it was all over .
    Duno if I need a cuddle or a kick in the arse right now , but Im feeling abit suck.
    Bummer alright.

In these situations don't give up.

Just keep going back to the last know blood splatter and keep making bigger and bigger circular sweeps until you find him ..... he won't be far.

Also wounded deer tend to sidle downhill, if the trial was heading down hill then he probably continued that way.

Go back next week if you can and you might be able to follow the smell by then.

This is when a dog is worth his weight in gold.

Better luck next time

Cheers
    Pete
    Pengy and Kiwiman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    sounds like a liver shot. any roaring in the kaimais?

If there was that much blood he shouldn't of gone much further
    Yea . Thats what i thought when i rushed . Hopefully someone will learn from my mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Bummer mate. It happens tho.
    Sounds like a flesh wound to me if it dried up.
    What bullet?

Factory 140 grain SP . Highlander Ammo ..... Was happy with performance of the bullet on last years stag , but that's the only one ive used them on.
    Last edited by mohawk; 21-03-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Bummer alright.

In these situations don't give up.

Just keep going back to the last know blood splatter and keep making bigger and bigger circular sweeps until you find him ..... he won't be far.

Also wounded deer tend to sidle downhill, if the trial was heading down hill then he probably continued that way.

Go back next week if you can and you might be able to follow the smell by then.

This is when a dog is worth his weight in gold.

Better luck next time

Cheers
    Pete
    Yup , thought that too but the first 100mtrs was strait down hill , the second 100 was strait up and then level for 100ish with drops maby 10-20 mtrs apart. gps looks like a bunch of lolly pops .
    I honestly cant put into words how gutted I feel , but the Kaimais can do that too a guy.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    Factory 140 grain SP . Highlander Ammo ..... Was happy with performance of the bullet on last years stag , but that's the only one ive used them on.
    If it was an SST or Amax I would have assumed a blow up. Don't know what hi lander use but I guess a lead tip bullet so doubt it was a projectile issue.
    Could you see if the animal was struggling with its gait or footing by its marks while following it up?

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.