Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rotorua wallaby hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    @top gun I believe it was the blue area as in the link. Asking if you saw any outside the area to report.
    https://www.boprc.govt.nz/media/4900...allaby-web.pdf
    Thanks very much, you're a true gent.

Hi Guys,

When I contacted Maurice these were his direct details:
    Maurice Wilke mwilke@doc.govt.nz
    Biodiversity Ranger
    Department of Conservation—Te Papa Atawhai
    DDI: +64 7 349 8212

He also suggested a nearby Rotorua Farmer, Tony Carr (who's farm backs onto the DOC land at Okataina) - who has a hut that he rents out to hunters and has Wallabies for shooting on his private land and the DOC land. If you PM me I'll send you his contact phone details.

CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Hi Guys,

Biodiversity Ranger

He also suggested a nearby Rotorua Farmer, Tony Carr (who's farm backs onto the DOC land at Okataina) - who has a hut that he rents out to hunters and has Wallabies for shooting on his private land and the DOC land. If you PM me I'll send you his contact phone details.

CD.
    Good on Ya CD. I've lived in rottenrua for nearly 40 years & I'm still learning something new. I'll try a PM for the info as I get quite a few people asking where they can go to shoot these little suckers.

Another titbit of info for locals is: If you're a local NZDA member you can get permission to go into Okataina with a rimfire after wallabies. NOT maori chicken!!!!

Pay to double check with maurice to ensure that these rules still apply. No doubt proven membership to other NZDA branches may qualify as well???? Just don't shoot any Takahe,eh!!!!!!!!!
    homebrew.357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Hi Guys,

Biodiversity Ranger

CD.
    Please PM details! Thanks
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Any idea if he still has this hut or further info on how I can contact him for access.

There's probably a doc hut or campsite nearby. I'm not sure sorry.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Most of the public land around the rotorua lakes got a dose of 1080 so hunting going to be sad in there for a while

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    where and when
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by top gun View Post
    Good on Ya CD. I've lived in rottenrua for nearly 40 years & I'm still learning something new. I'll try a PM for the info as I get quite a few people asking where they can go to shoot these little suckers.

Another titbit of info for locals is: If you're a local NZDA member you can get permission to go into Okataina with a rimfire after wallabies. NOT maori chicken!!!!

Pay to double check with maurice to ensure that these rules still apply. No doubt proven membership to other NZDA branches may qualify as well???? Just don't shoot any Takahe,eh!!!!!!!!!
    bigfoot got a doc permit for rimfire and shotgun to snot the little fuckers.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    Does anybody have info. on, or advice on access to, wallaby hunting in the Rotorua area? I recall shooting around Lake Okataina many years ago, but can't recall where the access was. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
    saw some big buggers walking in the other day at okataina coming from okareka end.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Tayed at the Lodge at Lake Okataina at the end of March and most of us heading in spotted a wallaby or two on the road, so they are obviously about.

The big question is can you eat the woolly jumpers, I suppose you have to keep a lid on the pot!!.
    StagRyan likes this.

Hey guys. I got a permit from DoC for using rimfire on wallabies. Will likely take a centrefire for those that are a little further out.

I'm just after advice on the best areas to check out. The wallaby seem to like open areas with Bush nearby to hide in if required. Any recommendations. I've been after the little fuckers for a while and never got one.

Have been told that 2 thighs fit in a slow cooker and taste good. The little shits take some finding when thats what you want, you trip over them when after deer. They are as far south as rainbow mountain,(if not further) and have seen them as roadkill in waikite, probably in the Paeroas allready. Maurice Wilkie was in Waimangu thermal valley (no hunting allowed Maurices private block but brings venison for the staff that work there) and shot 22 in 1 evening. If you can get on farmland next to native bush they come onto pasture at night and back into the bush at first light. Was told that the owner of the campsite at the Blue lake sometimes allows spotlighting out the back, but doubt that will happen at easter (to busy) but make contact with him may be a trip later in the year. I never followed up when I was told.
    Last edited by chindit; 19-04-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    Have been told that 2 thighs fit in a slow cooker and taste good. The little shits take some finding when thats what you want, you trip over them when after deer. They are as far south as rainbow mountain,(if not further) and have seen them as roadkill in waikite, probably in the Paeroas allready. Maurice Wilkie was in Waimangu thermal valley (no hunting allowed Maurices private block but brings venison for the staff that work there) and shot 22 in 1 evening. If you can get on farmland next to native bush they come onto pasture at night and back into the bush at first light. Was told that the owner of the campsite at the Blue lake sometimes allows spotlighting out the back, but doubt that will happen at easter (to busy) but make contact with him may be a trip later in the year. I never followed up when I was told.
    Cheers man I was thinking of heading in around Okataina and walking south along the east side of the lake.

Or are there other spots with clearing that people would recommend. I'll also try give the campground a call