Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: RST Hunters Club - New Series

We have a little group of them around here on a local hill.Most over seas visitors wouldnt know what they are looking at.I got no corse to shoot them and they are a buitifull bird low in numbers.
    dannyb and RUMPY like this.

Watched it last night, some amazing footage of pig chases, those drones sure are handy!
    A shame about the technical glitch - can’t be helped I guess.

And is there no tracking device that can be fitted to ‘dog cam’ so the lost cameras can be located?
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Cameraman Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Watched it last night, some amazing footage of pig chases, those drones sure are handy!
    A shame about the technical glitch - can’t be helped I guess.

And is there no tracking device that can be fitted to ‘dog cam’ so the lost cameras can be located?
    Was more the nature of the thick bush the dogs were in, was pretty impenetrable in places, we could follow the dogs tracks on the Garmin gear but after half an hour of bashing, we'd barely made it 100m in. Plus, we still had the harness with the mounting mechanism, the camera had just been shorn clean off at the point of connection, so finding a small black GoPro 360 in that dark, wet jungle would have been impossible.

You can set the camera to communicate its position via GPS, but it chews battery and dead batts have cost us before when filming with the dog cams - picking and choosing moments to film is a bit of a lottery. To get around this, we've begun bolting the camera harness to the tracking collar itself.

I'd be wary though if you intend to put a camera harness on a dog - you need to be prepared to lose and/or damage it. There's the worst case scenario too, you're risking your dog by having a camera mounted to them, especially when hunting tight country with supplejack, or areas with fences, as they can easily become tangled up. The results look great when it all works out as planned, but it's never easy.

Agree with the others Dave, great stuff on the series. The camerawork and editing has vastly improved from earlier seasons too. Whilst the feedback is flowing though.... in my opinion the area with the biggest potential for improvement this season is the gear shed. It really seems like Andre either doesn't really know anything about his gear, or is trying to massively dumb it down. For example, brand new rifle to the NZ market, and all I got from his review is "it feels heavy, but not too heavy". And this last episode he reviewed a gps tracker he had never owned or used. I understand it is more about product placement, and I am ok with that cos they are good products, but a bit more detail would make that segment as lot less useless!

Cole
    Great episode! Even tho some footage was lost I feel like it didn’t take away from the episode at all, we all have hunts that don’t go to plan so made it very relatable.

Your end quote was perfectly placed… you can’t always count on your hunt going to plan

Great episode
    I'm hanging out for South Seas Spearo on Sunday night too
    The Hunters Club likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hunters Club View Post
    Was more the nature of the thick bush the dogs were in, was pretty impenetrable in places, we could follow the dogs tracks on the Garmin gear but after half an hour of bashing, we'd barely made it 100m in. Plus, we still had the harness with the mounting mechanism, the camera had just been shorn clean off at the point of connection, so finding a small black GoPro 360 in that dark, wet jungle would have been impossible.

You can set the camera to communicate its position via GPS, but it chews battery and dead batts have cost us before when filming with the dog cams - picking and choosing moments to film is a bit of a lottery. To get around this, we've begun bolting the camera harness to the tracking collar itself.

I'd be wary though if you intend to put a camera harness on a dog - you need to be prepared to lose and/or damage it. There's the worst case scenario too, you're risking your dog by having a camera mounted to them, especially when hunting tight country with supplejack, or areas with fences, as they can easily become tangled up. The results look great when it all works out as planned, but it's never easy.
    Maybe a secondary, flexible connection between the Go-pro & the harness would save losing the cameras. Webbing or similar. The rigid connection could break if the dog "punched thru" a fence or thick bush without losing the camera.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Maybe a secondary, flexible connection between the Go-pro & the harness would save losing the cameras. Webbing or similar. The rigid connection could break if the dog "punched thru" a fence or thick bush without losing the camera.
    Good idea. I would make a wire 'brush guide' to run up each side as well, from the harness back to the camera to lead scrub and crap over the top

Last nights, last Otago pig, I almost shat myself and I was sitting on the couch. That was super close. Situations like that think I would want more than 1 shot capacity. That bugger would of had me, great reflex shot.
    Eat Meater likes this.

Best episode yet
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Good action,loved the drone footage chasing pigs.Big mob of deer in the middle of no where looked cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Good action,loved the drone footage chasing pigs.Big mob of deer in the middle of no where looked cool.
    some very tasty looking piggy wigs down there -look like they have a lot of tame cross from somewhere
    Eat Meater likes this.