Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Sitka Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    I have some Sitka but I have more Kuiu... either brand you can’t go wrong with.

On a side note the late founder of Kuiu was also a business partner for Sitka but branched away to pursue his dreams.
    When I was in the US in 2018, just before Jason died, I bumped into the owners of Sitka hunting on their ranch. That was an interesting conversation...
    The hunting trip they were on ended there when I said what’s that smell of petrol? Turned out the old jeep was leaking petrol.
    Funny thing was they were all wearing Sitka gear and they only told me they owned the company after I said I preferred Kuiu. Weird thing, Jason died the next day and I visited the only Kuiu store, in the world, a week later.

^ Fasinating!

I have a pair of Ascent pants with the knee pads and they are one of my favourite pieces of clothing. They are also lasting really, really well. I'm pretty keen to get some more Sitka stuff but it is farkin' expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    its not the "Brand" that matters. US made gear seems to hold together better and their customer service is generally awesome.
    Their gear is likely made in the same factories its just unlike in NZ they have learned that the "make it as cheap as you can and sell it for maximum price and run away if there is an issue or if it falls apart" sales model is not a good one.

My Sitka stuff is really good and worn most every day, my Stoney Creek Shooters jacket has been worn far less often and the closures (domes) have gone and it leaks) it was not much cheaper than the Sitka. I have had 3 Stowat jackets in the same time frame, they are good for what they are.
    The only thing I dont like about the American stuff is all the jackets are short length

I buy my Sitka Stuff from these guys /safarisupply.co.nz when / if I spot it on clearance deal
    You might want to have a look at where your gear is actually made mate...
    sore head stoat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by savage270 View Post
    You might want to have a look at where your gear is actually made mate...
    Oh i know where its made. They are very good at working to the quality/pricing required by their customers. Which also proves that good gear can be manufactured there that does not generally fall to bits after 2 or 3 uses. US public wont tolerate that unlike NZ where its minimum cost to make/maximim profit makes for shit gear. I would rather pay more for gear and have it last than buy the "disposible clothing" made here in nz which only lasts 6-12 month and costs nearly as much anyway.
    Monk, hotsoup and ROKTOY like this.

hi qyou rock into Cabellas etc there is a absolute shit load of cheap hunting clothes just like the fleece from Ridge line etc that the Ave US deer hunter buys. Kuiu, Sitka etc are selling to the high end hunter.
    WillB likes this.

You know what’s even worse is when our local people who are guides and work in the hunting industry reach out to our local brands for support only to be denied. Speaking to a guy the other day he said the only one who would look at it was Swazi. Stoney Creek etc weren’t remotely interested so he reached out to first lite and kuiu etc who all have an awesome system setup to support guides in the industry. I told him (and he agreed) no stress, their gear is better anyway haha.
    Monk likes this.

I used to think only crap comes out of Asia but it all comes down to simple things such as the thread holding the garment together where I’ve had stoney creek gloves fall apart in just a few hunts but they were replaced ASAP free of charge but it shouldn’t be like that.

My Kuiu & Sitka gear is bomb proof and again it’s made in Asia just to a higher standard.