Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: So when is a rifle too heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    you will know when you are super fit when you can keep up with your dog !!
    A hyper-active heading dog? Yeah, right!

I was always one those that said man up and carry it but I must admit that last year I relented and bought a rifle that weighs 6.5lbs with scope, sling and 3 rounds in the mag and I have to say that it is such a pleasure to carry all day up and down steep hills and through thick bushes, I hardly notice it on my shoulder.

The poor old Brno ZKK has unfortunately become a bit of a safe queen now, still never part with her!
    rossi.45 likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

What did you go with. Rifle, calibre, scope, sling etc if you dont mind saying.

So when is a rifle too heavy?

Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle in .308, just got a VX2 2-7x33 in talley rings on it and a Butler Creek sling, not sure model but pretty light and the rubber grips my shoulder well, nothing worse than a sling that keeps sliding off.

Considering chopping it to 17" and fitting a dpt but a bit hesitant to chop it, dunno, we will see!
    Last edited by Spudattack; 03-02-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    nor-west, Micky Duck and MrSly like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Jeff Cooper proposed that you should be able to hold your rifle in one outstretched hand for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Jeff Cooper proposed that you should be able to hold your rifle in one outstretched hand for a minute.
    Whos he?

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Whos he?
    Famed American gun writer......really Gibo, you should get out more

Also the father of the scout rifle concept.
    tetawa likes this.

Meh you lost me on the second word
    LOC, Mathias and Russian 22. like this.

My second rifle I bought was a tikka. An I decided to make a few custom changes and put a 600grm waitaki engineering suppressor and a laminate thumb hole Boyd's stock without much thought to weight. It ended up getting to weight something like 11lb and when it weighed that much i knew about it going up a hill so I decided I was going to go light weight in my hunting gear. And bought a kimber mountain ascent weighs less than 6lb scoped and now I feel like I just float up the hills at the moment it's probably one of my best hunting items I've bought

Light rifles can still shoot well.... so why would you want a heavy one?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Light rifles can still shoot well.... so why would you want a heavy one?
    It matters who the manufacturer is.

I think its horses for courses - if you bush hunt then short/light with suppressor is a big advantage & most shots are off hand, so as others have stated balance is important. If you're only shooting 100 - 200 yds max then "sub moa" accuracy is not essential, 2 moa will do the job as the deer cullers proved with ancient 303's.
    But if your hunting takes you into open tops & you want to reach out to 600 - 800 yrds (or more) then different factors come to play. A balance of calibre choice, weight of rifle & scope, shooter ability to handle recoil and most importantly accuracy. No point humping a big heavy (or light) magnum around the hills if the rifle &/or shooter cant regularly achieve sub moa & first shot cold barrel accuracy is essential if you want to harvest animals at range. Light weight magnums for some people can be very challenging for accuracy.
    Personally - being an old buga - i never want to carry more weight than needed, especially if its a multi day trip - every ounce saved across the total kit helps. Choice of scope here is equally important here.
    I have 3 x 7mm's (284, 280AI & SAUM) that are less than 6lb bare rifle and weigh in 7&1/4 - 1/2 lbs with scope and rings etc. All shoot 0.5 moa or better off bipod so long as i do my bit. 284 is short barrel so it wears a DPT suppressor (balance is superb), the 280 & SAUM are shot without suppressor or brake no issues. I do all load dev without either, although hearing protection is a must. These are great all round rifles for bush to 6-800 yrds.
    Magnums - 7mmRM & 300wsm (24 - 26 in bbl) weights with scopes etc are around 8.5 - 9.3 lb (26 in bbl). As above all load dev done without brake or suppressor and getting 0.5 - 0.7 moa. On the hill I usually carry a can to save my ears & avoid disturbing game as much or take ear plugs. Had one 300wsm that was a 6.5 lb bare rifle and for me the recoil and muzzle jump although tolerable was less than pleasant when putting 12 - 16 rounds down range. Adding can or brake helped considerably but felt like a bit more weight was a good thing.
    Achieving accurate & light can be done but may require time, $ and some level of customization - quality stock & bedding are must haves for me. And you might get lucky and get a factory rifle that's capable of doing the job.
    nor-west likes this.

I like the K .I. .S.S way, I`v a Marlin lever in 3030, 16" barrel for bush bashing, I can shoot it like a pistol one handed around a tree. I`m already carrying metal in my hip and no helie pilot would let me fly in with my Sharps that's for sure.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    It matters who the manufacturer is.
    That goes without saying..... and that applies to heavy rifles and to light ones

question.............So when is a rifle too heavy? = when your balls hit the floor!!!!!!!!!!! lol
    sorry mate could not resist that one!!