Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: So when is a rifle too heavy?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Whos he?
    Doesn't matter Gibo. What the hell would you want to do that for anyway?
    .300 RUM Guy likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

A rifle is too heavy when you would rather leave it at home and go tramping instead...
    veitnamcam likes this.

I was always under the impression that it doesn't matter what weight the rifle is, you'll always be wanting something lighter. Bit like ya miss's, there's always something better around the corner
    tikka, Russian 22. and paremata like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I was always under the impression that it doesn't matter what weight the rifle is, you'll always be wanting something lighter. Bit like ya miss's, there's always something better around the corner

so your rifle and your Mrs will be a lot more "user friendly" when you get your head into the correct space...they ARE the ideal weight/perfect for you/beautiful/you dont want anything else as what you have is perfect for you.

old saying ,,,,beware the man who owns but one gun,he probably knows how to use it.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Yes and no... A lot of synthetic stocked rifles can feel quite unbalanced and nose heavy (especially suppressed) because the main weight saving was in the butt. Sometimes the better balance and handling/feel of a wooden stock is enough to justify a bit of extra carry weight.

I have a couple of 22lr rifles, one ~5lb synthetic and one ~7lb laminate thumbhole. The extra weight doesn't worry me for that sort of carry but the heavier one (obviously shape etc plays a part too) is so much steadier for off-hand shooting.
    Yeah absolutely, but it comes down to specificity, ie a 22 not typically carried anywhere near as far, and shot often, and frequently off hand at small targets. Hence a bit of weight added for increased shootability makes sense, whereas a bush rifle is carried all day and might only get shot once. All that said I don't feel like my tikka is off balance or difficult to shoot offhand.

Ha it's to heavy when you fall off a bluff get hit by the hind that you where carrying out and then get snotted by the old 303 that got hung up half way down some of those trips into the kaimias I don't miss
    john m, Gibo and 223nut like this.

When I was younger weight never worried me as I only had a basic unsuppressed 200m max distance rifle and would carry it to the ends of the earth without a complaint. Now with carbon fibre and titanium it would make my heavy long range Sako 75 Finnlite a lot lighter to carry during the 4-7 weeks off for the roar or Alpine top trips when I'm already carrying crampons, ice axe, rope, heavy duty tent etc. It doesn't help having a heavy 56mm objective Nightforce scope on top but I'll take the bomb proof reliability over a lighter scope. I only really notice the weigh after day 5.

I'm just in the throws of getting a new 'ultra light' Custom built rifle, to tote around the tops (long range hunting!) With carbon fibre stock, carbon wrapped barrel, complete with scope, rings and bipod, she tips the scales at 11lb (5kg)!

MSL
    Damn, what's the action and scope

well...just made up a rough n ready superduper lightweight stock for my wee .223 just for grins n giggles...took stock weight from 1.2kgs down to close to 500grms...havent reweighed it since changed buttplate and added two coats of stain/poly to wood to waterproof it.
    only time will tell if it stays on or hardwood one goes back on...balance,yeah it definately feels better without suppressor.....will see.
    one thing is for sure....when I find rifle getting too heavy,taking bull barreled ,laminate stocked 22-250 for next trip puts things back into perspective.
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Meh you lost me on the second word
    There was a second word
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Wouldnt have a clue what any of my rifles weight. When it comes the time when my arms are going fall off carrying a rifle a few hours might be the time
    i deem them to be too heavy. Until that time doesnt worry me.
    tetawa, Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

When you cannot feel the recoil!
    gadgetman likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well...just made up a rough n ready superduper lightweight stock for my wee .223 just for grins n giggles...took stock weight from 1.2kgs down to close to 500grms...havent reweighed it since changed buttplate and added two coats of stain/poly to wood to waterproof it.
    only time will tell if it stays on or hardwood one goes back on...balance,yeah it definately feels better without suppressor.....will see.
    one thing is for sure....when I find rifle getting too heavy,taking bull barreled ,laminate stocked 22-250 for next trip puts things back into perspective.
    What did you use Balsa or Cedar?

Too heavy to carry, as sajd before, depends how far.

Never too heavy to shoot, but possibly too light sometimes. An unbalanced gun is always a pain.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch