Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: South Island Wallaby Hunting Approach

South Island Wallaby Hunting Approach

Hi team,

After relocating to the south island last week, I'm planning to head down to Timaru/Geraldine/Waimate area and check out some of the Doc blocks for wallabies.

I would appreciate any tips on hunting them. Is the best way to walk mile after mile and stalk them? Or just sit on any hill and glass for hours?

Looking at satellite maps it appears these blocks are very open. Is there a certain type of vegetation that wallabies prefer?

What would be the typical shooting distance in those areas? I can be a half inch shooter at 100m, but never practised further than that. Thinking of using a suppressed Tikka 223 and a Burris 2-10x40. Those drop reticles will probably help for the longer shots.

Any kind of advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks.
    dannyb and RV1 like this.

Park up facing sunny faces in the mornings and evenings. In the heat of the day they will lie up in the shade. Expect to shoot out to about 300 metres and be able to shoot them in the top 1/3rd for instant results. The lower 2/3rds can soak up ammo without much effect. A good set of binos and a range finder are assets. Your scope and rifle should be perfect for the job.
    Tahr, Brian, 257weatherby and 8 others like this.

NRT
    Good fun bush shooting as well the likes of Kelceys and Hook out of Waimate great challenge lots about.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Park up facing sunny faces in the mornings and evenings. In the heat of the day they will lie up in the shade. Expect to shoot out to about 300 metres and be able to shoot them in the top 1/3rd for instant results. The lower 2/3rds can soak up ammo without much effect. A good set of binos and a range finder are assets. Your scope and rifle should be perfect for the job.
    ^^^
    this, Plus i like to use a Bi-pod as well, Search the scrub with your Bino's as well, as they will pop out into little clearing's in the scrub.
    A lot of the shots will be a lot further than what you are use to, so a day on the targets at 300m, would be beneficial for you.
    BSA270 and Synthetic like this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

As a North islander you will initally be rubbish at estimating range in a totally different environment, trust me I know from experience. Take a range finder.

Don't need big flash gear and long shots etc to shoot a few Roos. Old man does a lot of them for work and will often shoot 2-300 a night, many of them before/after darkness and all with red dot and pulsar thermal scope after dark, he wouldn't know what a ballistic reticle or a dialling turret was if you hit him over the head with one. Uses shotgun with BB shot a lot also.
    Trout, Micky Duck, BSA270 and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Dont walk miles trying to find them, find a nice gully you with some cover they can hide and get yourself set up and wait for them to hop out from the cover in the evening. as marty said take a rangefinder distances can be very deceiving down here.
    Synthetic likes this.

two ways to do it...with noise/dogs rolling rocks into scrub
    or sit and snipe....
    sit and watch bush edges,tussuck faces and wet gullies,they are funny critters and once your eyes switched on you cant help seeing them.
    its amazing how they suddenly appear from nowhere if you sitting quietly.first n last light are best but we shoot them all day.
    look for a two toned road cone,darker on outside,lighter in centre..that a wally facing you..and the mickey mouse ears are a dead giveaway.
    use the softest ammunition you can find,vmax/zmax spsx are perfect,yes the top 1/3rd is ideal shot placement but hit them with varmit round anywhere and they will stop long enough for finishing shot...in 33 years of hunting them mostly with dogs I have NEVER found a wounded wallaby,Ive shot two with only half a tail...but never one with a flesh wound so I believe they must bleed out pretty quick no matter where hit,strange as it may seem.
    when they on run,the chest/head doesnt bounce as much as it looks,shoot them on run and you will feel like superman.
    Trout, Brian, BSA270 and 2 others like this.

Dont take a packet of 20rds for the day,take a hundy or more.
    Synthetic and RUMPY like this.

never less than 40 anyway LOL....
    timattalon and Synthetic like this.

If you want kill them with one shot at longer distances use a 270. No shotguns or night shooting in doc blocks either ( you probably already know that though)
    223 works fine for just walking the hills early and late in the day and picking of any you see.
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    two ways to do it...with noise/dogs rolling rocks into scrub
    or sit and snipe....
    sit and watch bush edges,tussuck faces and wet gullies,they are funny critters and once your eyes switched on you cant help seeing them.
    its amazing how they suddenly appear from nowhere if you sitting quietly.first n last light are best but we shoot them all day.
    look for a two toned road cone,darker on outside,lighter in centre..that a wally facing you..and the mickey mouse ears are a dead giveaway.
    use the softest ammunition you can find,vmax/zmax spsx are perfect,yes the top 1/3rd is ideal shot placement but hit them with varmit round anywhere and they will stop long enough for finishing shot...in 33 years of hunting them mostly with dogs I have NEVER found a wounded wallaby,Ive shot two with only half a tail...but never one with a flesh wound so I believe they must bleed out pretty quick no matter where hit,strange as it may seem.
    when they on run,the chest/head doesnt bounce as much as it looks,shoot them on run and you will feel like superman.
    A two toned road cone ha'ha'ha'..very well put there mr duck,aint never heard that one,love it.
    Clobbering a roo in full flight is very much like any other skill..more you do it the more natural it becomes..
    Micky Duck and Synthetic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Dont take a packet of 20rds for the day,take a hundy or more.
    Back on that other planet Trout we would go through box's holding three thousand rounds. They were wooden box's very much like you would buy bulk nails in. You stayed on the job if you averaged three shots per kill.that is what the board decided on.
    Micky Duck, BSA270 and Synthetic like this.

I personally love to stomp the hills and knock over as many as I come across. If I spend a good 4-6 hours walking and knock over 5-10 I consider that a good day. Yea you will prob get more with the sit and wait approach, but that can get a bit tedious my 2¢

Hi guys,

Thought I should report back on how I went today.

So upon entering the block there was a tonne of droppings, fresh and everywhere. I've never seen a wallaby or wallaby droppings before but suspect that's what they are. Some even had steam coming off.

Name:  PXL_20220401_212034417.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  4.07 MB

Name:  PXL_20220401_213318337.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  3.99 MB

Name:  PXL_20220401_213519695.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  4.07 MB

Name:  PXL_20220401_234034321.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  3.81 MB

Sat on a hill face near a gully with some scrub, and glassed for 30 minutes, but no animals were sighted.

Name:  PXL_20220401_214638013.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  5.53 MB

Name:  PXL_20220401_232257861.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  5.61 MB

On my way back to the car stags roars were heard constantly, pretty certain they were within the block too.

Name:  PXL_20220401_234750314.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  4.54 MB

Cheers for all the advice. Go further, have more patience, and wake up earlier next time!
    short swede and thejamesjames like this.