Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 1 Post By ghosts
  • 1 Post By Tribrit
  • 1 Post By Cartman
  • 1 Post By Cartman
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: Southland roar trip.

Southland roar trip.

Hatched a plan last night with some lads from up north to do a boat trip to the island or fiordland. I already know a guy in riverton who's a good bugger and keen to take us but I thought I'd ask in here first from first hand experience. Any charter companies or off season cray boats ect you reccomend and why. Willing to pay for good operator.
    Also what's the go with hunting on the island I know alot of its private and balloted ect and the same question for fiordland as the wapiti ballot will be in place but there must be some areas outside the rha. Anyway thanks in advance for any info. Also open to other options for any hunting around southland otago. I have access to reds and fallow at my door step so looking at other species or experiences. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

You wont get a wapiti outside the balloted blocks, hard enough to get one inside.

Wapiti area is charles sound up to Sutherland sound.

Book a block for stewart island on the doc website, it's very easy. You can either take the ferry too the main town on island then water taxi to your block, or just charter a boat staright to your block from bluff. We did the 2nd option and from memory it was around $3500 return for 6. You should also either take or hire a dinghy and motor if you go over. We used Herbie Hansen to take us over.
    Cartman likes this.

Youll find Herbie Hanson has retired and sold his boat to the shark cage diving company.
    Ian Wilson runs Auroara charters out of Halfmoon Bay but will pick up and drop off from Bluff and hire dinghys etc. He can drop off to areas the water taxis wont go to. You've got DOC blocks or Rakiura Maori Land trust blocks. The RMLT blocks will have a charge amount for the privalige of hunting there lands.
    Cartman likes this.

Anybody know any private blacks on the island?.

Stewies like Queen Street these days mate it gets thrashed.

Best block Iv been to is Yankee River and Iv hunted them all.
    Cartman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribrit View Post
    Stewies like Queen Street these days mate it gets thrashed.

Best block Iv been to is Yankee River and Iv hunted them all.
    Yeah mate that's cool I can get animals at home so not a massive deal if we dont get something. Would like a spot to be able to get paua and dive for crays go for a hunt have a beer ect. Live the southland dream for a few days.

Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    . Would like a spot to be able to get paua and dive for crays go for a hunt have a beer ect. Live the southland dream for a few days.
    Nah theres no deer or crays on stewart island, try the north island....

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Nah theres no deer or crays on stewart island, try the north island....
    Lol I live in the catlins. Why dont you try the north island. Troll.

223nut likes this.

cheapest & easiest options for SI would be ferry ride to oban , hire a wee 3.8 stabi its cheap, water taxi will drop you & tow the stabi to a hut in pattersons inlet iv only been to Abrahams bay in the inlet , it was good saw a few deer ,huge block , plenty of sea food only a short boat ride away , only challenge was the large tidal area infront of the hut launching the boat but its no biggy I believe the water taxi also services some of the front blocks they would be well worth investigating just bear in mind some huts are on the main tramping track so not private , some blocks are booked out 12 months in advance .
    If moneys not a problem & you want to go further afield contact Shane at Mana Charters , sometimes they throw the oyster dredge in .
    Cartman likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    cheapest & easiest options for SI would be ferry ride to oban , hire a wee 3.8 stabi its cheap, water taxi will drop you & tow the stabi to a hut in pattersons inlet iv only been to Abrahams bay in the inlet , it was good saw a few deer ,huge block , plenty of sea food only a short boat ride away , only challenge was the large tidal area infront of the hut launching the boat but its no biggy I believe the water taxi also services some of the front blocks they would be well worth investigating just bear in mind some huts are on the main tramping track so not private , some blocks are booked out 12 months in advance .
    If moneys not a problem & you want to go further afield contact Shane at Mana Charters , sometimes they throw the oyster dredge in .
    Nice bro cheers. Who do I contact about the stabi hire?. Interested in coming with Phil?.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Nice bro cheers. Who do I contact about the stabi hire?. Interested in coming with Phil?.

Steve gooding marine in Invercargill, often see his boat over here
    Cartman likes this.

You guys are legends cheers.