Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Spotlight vs torch

Spotlight vs torch

Long story short it suxs when your spotlighting and you get up there see deer through the thermal and your 12v spotlight battery is flat.
    Need to upgrade to rechargeable my question is go for a flashlight to sit on your scope or spotlight?
    Looking at 2 options either

Imalent dx80 or maxtoch xsword 1000 lum with 2000m through

Pros and cons?

Or another option of light?

Quote Originally Posted by Sr5dan View Post
    Long story short it suxs when your spotlighting and you get up there see deer through the thermal and your 12v spotlight battery is flat.
    Need to upgrade to rechargeable my question is go for a flashlight to sit on your scope or spotlight?
    Looking at 2 options either

Imalent dx80 or maxtoch xsword 1000 lum with 2000m through

Pros and cons?

Or another option of light?
    I use Olight - and have one spare New you can have
    Also have the Maxtoch and see no differnce "in the field" but guys in the know will say max has better specs
    My mates in Norht Island have these and keep asking for more

Olight M3XS UT Javelot

Name:  s-l1600 (5).jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  76.9 KB

Name:  s-l1600 (7).jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  78.0 KB

I wouldn't bother with the xsword personally as the beam is too narrow. I have one here. Better off with a Maxtoch 2X or M24 for hunting with. Get plenty of batteries and a good quality charger like a Nitecore. The de-domed torches cut the atmosphere a bit better and the warmer hue spooks animals less.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Barrel or rail mounted torch is best, point and shoot especially if on your own. Trying to coordinate a hand held is a total fail for me. Question you appear to have a thermal why that instead of a thermal scope your obviously serious about night shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Barrel or rail mounted torch is best, point and shoot especially if on your own. Trying to coordinate a hand held is a total fail for me. Question you appear to have a thermal why that instead of a thermal scope your obviously serious about night shooting.
    Cost I imagine

I now have both - but 1st exp with thermal was scope and it is not nice using as a spotter/locater unless you have arms like popeye the sailor man
    So sold to mate and went XP handheld Thermal
    So - I had a top mounted Olight/Maxtoch with remote switch
    This works very good if byself

Also have Olight small torch with filter on one of the MX3 pouches adapted that sits on rigth side waist belt with remote pressure switch for walking - its pointed downwars and does not disturb animals
    Shot yealing last night like this with 7m08 scoped and not with XD75 Pulsar Thermal

What ya want for it

Sarvo would be keen on ya spare torch

Maxtoch SNIPER M24 Dedomed where can you buy these from? Price?

M24

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXT...ceBeautifyAB=0

2X

I'd avoid the charger and mounts and buy a good Nitecore charger and mounts from elsewhere on Aliexpress. The Maxtoch batteries are a good deal though so grab some extras while you're at it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    M24

2X

I'd avoid the charger and mounts and buy a good Nitecore charger and mounts from elsewhere on Aliexpress. The Maxtoch batteries are a good deal though so grab some extras while you're at it.
    Lol, down the bottom of the page on those aliexpress links, check out the purchases in NZ! Pretty popular here it seems :-)

Cheers guys I see these 2 torch above are quite similar any hint as to which 1 is better keen on one shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
    Lol, down the bottom of the page on those aliexpress links, check out the purchases in NZ! Pretty popular here it seems :-)
    There is a good reason for that. They've been designed with a fair bit of kiwi input from requests/surveys from NZ hunting forums.
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr5dan View Post
    Cheers guys I see these 2 torch above are quite similar any hint as to which 1 is better keen on one shortly
    The 2X has a slightly bigger head and weighs a bit more. This gives the 2X a bit more intense and narrow beam so it can stretch a little further. The M24 has a wider beam so you can cover a bigger area a little quicker. Both will light up further than you would normally shoot at night plus a lot further to check the background for safety.

Awesome am sorted now primo