Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: subsonic 44 for hunting pigs, the realities?

Good point Bill about accuracy. Lever actions are what they are and I am guessing with subsonics a few grains of powder rattling about a case as large as the 44 mag and low pressure, doesnt improve accuracy either. I know you can slug bores cast .001 and .002 over groove diametre and some fellas get real target level results, but I'm not sure what my level of interest is in that.

If it wasnt such good situation you wouldnt bother hunting somewhere with a 22mag noise limit. But they get 1-2 pigs coming through a week, and its only 4km from town, very handy. We can larger numbers and hogs in the open areas, the state has the world largest populations, pigs outnumber people 3-1. easy choice there, anything 243 and over is the go, shoot until the barrel melts.

I think the project has enough sides to it, its a case of just trying it and seeing what happens. Thanks all.

Saying it like it is @Bill999

My personal choice for subsonics is the 308 for the field, 22 for the yards.

Whilst I get my mates’ desire for the traditional .44, it is interesting that when we go out in the open country I invariably end up taking my 308 as well, and in paddocks up against a fence, generally I’ll be the one to shoot the pig from 30 or 40 yards... It’s just a more accurate option. That’s with Robert’s 151gr cast lead HPs. Both of these caught a subsonic HP in the head... dead nae bother,

Name:  083C5939-5423-4DDF-8DD6-55BC63E74701.jpeg
Views: 331
Size:  1.73 MB
    Just...say...the...word

A 308 with a long barrel makes a great sub gun
    The extra case capacity seems less of an issue than I led myself to believe regarding subs and suppressor volume
    You definitely don't need it but it doesn't seem to make a sound difference compared to 300blk if the barrel is long
    Bullet speed seems to be the real difference, from 850fps to 1000fps with the same bullet the noise increases heaps
    I slowed my 308 load down a little and it was mouse fart quiet

Im tempted to get some cast bullets in 6mm to try in the 243 as a pointless excersize that are around 80gr as I don't "need" the full power of the 30cal 151gr or 190gr sub-x to do what I do as I used my 10-22 for years to good effect
    And shooting hares while hunting is fun too when it's quiet

I think use what you've got
    the minor differences in bore size don't count for much.
    7.62mm vs 10.9mm doesn't mean much if you are just poking a hole in muscle
    Get close and crack their skull and it's game over.
    Too low is jaw and sinus cavity
    Too high is forehead meat
    Neither kills the animal so it's worth looking at a diagram
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

Flyblown....is it just my old eyes or had those two pigs been caught too many times before???? cant see any ears at all...Ive seen sow caught 4 times by same fella so he cut one ear off,caught her again,cut other one off so dogs couldnt hold...they did anyway so she got trip out on backpack express.
    Finnwolf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Flyblown....is it just my old eyes or had those two pigs been caught too many times before???? cant see any ears at all...Ive seen sow caught 4 times by same fella so he cut one ear off,caught her again,cut other one off so dogs couldnt hold...they did anyway so she got trip out on backpack express.

Likewise- no ears and no sign of blood there.

Well spotted @mickey duck. Behind that fence is a good 20m sheer drop into the gorge, classic papa rock country. On the adjacent property, the fences are shit and the pigs will keep breaking until they get to one of their many holes, then it’s Pig Base Jumping, sometimes with an unfortunate dog hanging off an ear, or ball sack.

This time, the pigs were bailed up against a staunch run of fence that is good for a couple of km along the gorge. Nowhere to run! Oooops...

The pig on the right was completely earless. This pig had been observed going over the edge a good couple of times, SPLASH!, then swimming away. At the same location a couple of clicks from where these were caught, perhaps the biggest boar the guys ever caught did the same thing, over the side into the river, but it drowned probably because it was too tired, or injured. It caused huge upset and there was a crazy effort to try and recover it, but to no avail...
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    7.62mm vs 10.9mm doesn't mean much if you are just poking a hole in muscle
    Get close and crack their skull and it's game over.
    Too low is jaw and sinus cavity
    Too high is forehead meat
    Neither kills the animal so it's worth looking at a diagram
    head shooting ihas its place, including with 22LR. Idea of this project is something to stick into a pigs lungs or chest before it buggars off in the spotlight. 22WMR can work but is marginal and not confidence inspirting following up.

Hmmm seems to be a few different opinions as to usefulness of bodyshots..

Suprised not many recommendations for any jacketed hollowpoints? Most 44 JHP wont expand I see suggestions for heavy stuff like 265 XTP and 300 grain noslers on various searches and none of these will be expanding as subs. There are a couple of 44 that will though and get an honest 60-70 cal expansion at 850-950fps impacts. I was thinking pushed to 1050fps they might be okay.

Only one way to find out I guess

Shotgun with buckshot would be the go for that

Not at 50+ yards it isnt