Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Suppressed 308 over a dog?

Suppressed 308 over a dog?

Gidday Gents.

I'm thinking about getting a takedown rifle in 308. I'm hunting over a dog in the bush, so noise is an important consideration. Would a suppressed 308 be quiet enough on the dogs ears?
    The other alternative is 300 BLK.
    Most of my hunting is in the bush so range is less of a factor. I do like the idea of the extra range and power of a 308 over the 300blk.

Thoughts?

Dog won’t mind as long as it’s properly trained to a shot. The shorter the barrel, the louder the noise, but a DPT or Hardy moderator should calm it enough.

Good on you for thinking about the dog. A deaf or gun shy dog is no fun for you or him.

Get a 45 70
    kiwijames likes this.

It will deafen your dog eventually IF you are putting a substantial number of shots over its head. If you can stalk past the dog or get it behind you that will help hugely over its life. But if youre shooting 20 or so deer a year over the dog it will probably be fine.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

my dog used to be gun shy, Is fine now.

I only shoot suppressed when my dog is around. She has learned (by herself) to come stand or lay down behind me when shouldering a rifle.
    Mostly shoot goats so I try to avoid shooting over the top of her where possible.

but the odd time it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Gidday Gents.

I'm thinking about getting a takedown rifle in 308. I'm hunting over a dog in the bush, so noise is an important consideration. Would a suppressed 308 be quiet enough on the dogs ears?
    The other alternative is 300 BLK.
    Most of my hunting is in the bush so range is less of a factor. I do like the idea of the extra range and power of a 308 over the 300blk.

Thoughts?
    I replaced my 300blk ar with a 308 takedown, the 308 is quieter than the gas gun was. I like it. Unless you are going subsonic both are still fairly loud.

You are welcome to have a play/shot with it if you are wondering about the setup. Its a bergara ba13 with vx3 and DPT.

I really like it. The 300 killed deer fine but IME is not in the same league of efficacy as the 308. I had a couple of deer that took a second shot with the 300 to hurry things along (both fatally shot just not yet dead) whereas the 308 at the same ranges is a hammer. Wasnt a problem for a quick follow up with the AR but not quite so easy with the single shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I replaced my 300blk ar with a 308 takedown, the 308 is quieter than the gas gun was. I like it. Unless you are going subsonic both are still fairly loud.

You are welcome to have a play/shot with it if you are wondering about the setup. Its a bergara ba13 with vx3 and DPT.

I really like it. The 300 killed deer fine but IME is not in the same league of efficacy as the 308. I had a couple of deer that took a second shot with the 300 to hurry things along (both fatally shot just not yet dead) whereas the 308 at the same ranges is a hammer. Wasnt a problem for a quick follow up with the AR but not quite so easy with the single shot.
    What length barrel is the new rifle? I was considering getting one of those modular pork sword things Ken is bringing in, tho they seem to push the 12.5" .308 which seems an incredibly short / loud barrel for a .308 even suppressed with something like a @ODL can.

@tikka would be able to offer some good info on hunting with the 300blk and a dog, he's got a pretty unique 300blk compact rig.

Thanks for the info guys.
    I like the look of the Bergaras. @308mate. What are these other 308 rifles you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I like the look of the Bergaras. @308mate. What are these other 308 rifles you are talking about?
    Black Collar Arms Pork Sword. Come in 300BLK, 308 and other calibers.

Run off a Remmy 700 or custom action/barrel.

Name:  FB_IMG_1565843001935.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  266.9 KB

Name:  FB_IMG_1565842991631.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  91.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    What length barrel is the new rifle? I was considering getting one of those modular pork sword things Ken is bringing in, tho they seem to push the 12.5" .308 which seems an incredibly short / loud barrel for a .308 even suppressed with something like a @ODL can.

@tikka would be able to offer some good info on hunting with the 300blk and a dog, he's got a pretty unique 300blk compact rig.
    Modular pork sword? please elaborate haha.

The bergaras are a 16 inch barrel. Its a fraction shorter than the AR with the 12.5 barrel. about 800mm, handy as

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Modular pork sword? please elaborate haha.

The bergaras are a 16 inch barrel. Its a fraction shorter than the AR with the 12.5 barrel. about 800mm, handy as
    It's a Remington 700 chassis.

There's a mini action howa chassis for 499 if you're running 300 black, 6.5 grendel etc.

Or there's a chassis from oryx for around a grand I think. Howa, ruger, Remington 700 etc. But rifle action on top of the chassis cost

my dog is fine with suppressed .308,I do try not to shoot directly over her but its got to be a heap better than the unsuppressed days.
    Pengy and Cordite like this.

Bear in mind when you say dog is fine, she may be able to hear you OK... but it's dog hearing we're talking about.

That suppressed supersonic crack is much more damaging to a dog's fine hearing, far finer circuitry to damage.

Question to ask is, does she still hear a lot better than me?
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

I shoot subs ( or near as dammit) from my model 7 with 16 inch barrel and DPT can, with the dog next to me. Have even shot a goat at 60 yards with left arm securing dog and firing single handed.
    Pup is all good with it, but I dont shoot lots of game.
    I do try to keep the dog in close, but she is keen as, and will go and get the little buggers on her own if given enough of a chance
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

My dog learnt pretty quickly from a young age all on her own that when the rifle goes up to my shoulder she moves back to just behind me legs straight away, suppressed or not.
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.