Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Taranaki Goat hunting

Quote Originally Posted by NakiNewbie View Post
    Old Wangomomona Road is crawling with them if you don't mind a drive. It's DOC land with a quad track running about 10k through it, Manuka scrub with plenty of clearings. You turn right at the Whanga pub and keep on going till you get to the DOC gate.
    Cheers brother will go for a look!

Quote Originally Posted by KaneB View Post
    Yea mate keep hitting the DOC blocks, there are shit loads and shit loads of goats here in the naki, I went for a walk to one of my spots on sunday (on DOC land) took my mate who is new to stalking, we came across a nice hine as intended, it couldnt have been an easier shot, 100m away and out in the open, he somehow kooked it and completely missed lol i think the adrenaline kicked in and he just couldnt keep his rifle still, so after that i told him we will just go for goats, knowing his adrenaline would be far more contained on a goat, and sure enough over the next 3hrs he didnt miss a shot we ended up eradicating aprox 8 goats all at distances between 10-300m, goats i have found will lap up the sun and are happy to lay out in the hot of the day in the open, youll usually see them in the open from around 10am once the sun gets some heat in her, then they begin heading bush again around 5pm, im sure someone will round me up for saying this, but goats are stupid, theyre sensors are pitiful compared to the likes of deer, i have sat to the side of a track and had a nanny eating from the bank right next to me, i have crept up on a large billy sun bathing grabbed it by the horns and wrestled it to ground, every time i go stalking i find myself in amongst the bloody things, in Taranaki we need to eradicate more goats to allow more feed and new growth for our low deer populations, goats breed like crazy and we as hunters really do have a responsibility to keep those number at a low, good luck mate
    Cheers Kane! I had some success on my hunt yesterday smashed over a kid with the .308 Name:  44136685_1077316305803255_945686076989636608_n.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  1.93 MB
    KaneB likes this.

While we’re on this topic, where in northern Taranaki is good for a fallow? I hear that Taumaranui area holds them, but have only come across reds so far.
    Been Upto likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    While we’re on this topic, where in northern Taranaki is good for a fallow? I hear that Taumaranui area holds them, but have only come across reds so far.
    Id also would like to know that bro. Havent even seen a deer in the wild yet

There are a few around the Naki but most are on private land.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    There are a few around the Naki but most are on private land.

So what youre saying is im going to most likely travel out of the naki to get a deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Been Upto View Post
    So what youre saying is im going to most likely travel out of the naki to get a deer?
    Yea pretty much that's what we do.
    I'm not saying you won't find any it's just a lot less effort to go to the Ruahines.
    You could look around the Patea dam but watch out where you go.
    Like I said join the NZDA as I know there are guys there that will let you tag along.

Been Upto and sometimes1 like this.

I'm not saying you won't find any it's just a lot less effort to go to the Ruahines.
    Like I said join the NZDA as I know there are guys there that will let you tag along.

Im keen as bro, where do I sign up?

Meetings are first wed of the month at 8pm and the clubrooms are on Drake street down a skinny drive.
    Just Google North Taranaki Deer stalkers contact us and you will see.

WallyR and Been Upto like this.

Meetings are first wed of the month at 8pm and the clubrooms are on Drake street down a skinny drive.
    Just Google North Taranaki Deer stalkers contact us and you will see.

Okay bro thank you very much. Ill get into gear and hopefully see you next meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Been Upto View Post
    Okay bro thank you very much. Ill get into gear and hopefully see you next meeting
    Yea I should be there and don't be put off by all the old buggers when you walk in.
    Cheers Neil

Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    There really isn't anywhere in north Taranaki (DOC land) that is "good" for fallow haha not that i have found anyway, but they are around in very small numbers, and your quite right i have seen them around the Taumarunui area, I had a spot North Taranaki where i lived in my teens, We had a venison farm that backed onto DOC land, My granddad used to come down yearly and take away a fallow or Red, unfortunately the whole area behind us got 1080d and although im sure they didnt kill everything, it just sure felt like it, my granddad stopped coming down and i stopped hunting there, this was 15 years ago, i went back 5 years ago and it still felt like a dead forest couldnt even hear a bird, but i went up at the beginning of the year, and although i didnt see one i did see sign that they are still around or at least coming back as well as the bird life, i will give it another year or two and hopefully it will be back to its former glory

And to add to my story, my mother now lives down by the Patea river, she has a boat that i cruise up and down the river on, and yes just make sure you mark the dock land out, there are huge problems with poachers on the river and its getting quite exhausting for some farmers so just be understanding if you come across an angry farmer haha, there are also cameras in some areas all around Patea dam as well as farmers using drones (no joke). but there are deer in the area, only fallow as far as i have seen.