Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By KaneB
  • 4 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By DBD

Thread: Topo50 App

HOO

Topo50 App

Anyone use the topo50 apps for north and South Islands? They seem great. Curious as to how accurate the hunting map overlay is as I’ve noticed some areas where I thought I wasn’t able to hunt showing up as legal on the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used both North and South, great little tool and seems to be fairly accurate, but i have also come accross areas that are public land that are not shown in the overlay
    Been Upto likes this.

Go to this site and click on the hunting areas part, see how the two line-up

https://www.doc.govt.nz/map/index.html

HOO
    They seem to line up pretty well. Interesting. Anyone used this on their phones deep in the bush? Be interested to see how well it works when you’re at out of range

Quote Originally Posted by HOO View Post
    They seem to line up pretty well. Interesting. Anyone used this on their phones deep in the bush? Be interested to see how well it works when you’re at out of range

works fine as long as you cache the map before you leave reception area, have used it way up the back of the Wilberforce and in Lake Sumner area without any issues

Have used it a wee bit in the south island and been happy with it, makes up for the Garmin inreach maps...

HOO
    Excellent. Thanks for the info

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO View Post
    Interesting. Anyone used this on their phones deep in the bush? Be interested to see how well it works when you’re at out of range
    Yes, there have been a few threads about this. My phone works fine. It is not reliant on cell/4G connection if maps are downloaded.

You don't need to cache the Topo50 maps, they are permanently on the phone. Works great in the bush. Just put phone on airplane mode and no problems.

The overlay won't show all local agreements, legal, regulation or informal. DoC sometimes lease land for farming and this won't show up on the simple overlay. If it looks like farmland or road then check with the local DoC and see as someone else may have rights of some sort over it. You may or may not be able to access through those spots, specially with dogs. In other places, farmers make use of public land without any arrangement and DoC can be quite happy for the public including hunters to access and maintain customary usage (not 100% binding in NZ like in the UK).

Check the WAMS web site, which has more credible data and shows public roads and land legal status in more detail.

DBD
    I use the "Topo GPS" app. Paid $6 for it and it let's you download the maps so they will work offline on your phone. Works good in the bush even under cover .
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    I use the "Topo GPS" app. Paid $6 for it and it let's you download the maps so they will work offline on your phone. Works good in the bush even under cover .
    this is what I was talking about when I said you need to cache the maps, when you are not in cell reception

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    I have them also and they work mint. tend to use them more than my gps cause the screens bigger. will keep the gps in my bag tho
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Locus is another free app that you cache maps from

Another free version is New Zealand topo maps free, seems to work very well and can cache maps

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk