Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Thank you NZ Hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Was that a while ago mate? As for the past few seasons you only need the horns for a goat and proof of sex on the cape. So a testicle or part of the pizzle.
    Sheep require the top half of the skull which includes nasal bone. Moose just the skull cap and horns and proof of sex attached to cape.
    Those whiskey Jack's are pretty crafty but a cool bird. They seem to like the fat off any animal the best.
    One of the worst jobs for me was having to take the client and his trophy to the COs and get it inspected. They would always have dumb reporting times and make you wait around for ages when you could be doing other things on a trip to town after weeks in the bush. If any resident hunters were there at the same time they would grill you for info.
    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    2 years back the 2018 season. We have some enept con officers. A guide took a 15 year old nanny a few years back that was solo and barren and horns where just about touching at it bases. The officer started bagging the guide for filling the tag wrong. Before the guide had to point out the vag. In fairness it was a very Billy like nanny with horns curled pretty smoothly more similar to a Billy and alot of mass down low and very long 10 3/8s just spindly up top. I think that and a few other issues they have had with bears means we bring everything we can easily. We leave a testicle on each rear quarter, take the jaw, and puzzle on the Cape. Maybe its not required now but I swear the last I red the regs for us it was required.

Funny story but the penis on the cape isn't a sure thing lol one of the guides took a Billy that had ripped its dick off somehow. Right between the legs so the penis in front of this shriveled up and effectively disappeared. It was his first year and maybe first Goat as a solo guide and the outfitter lost his shit before he realised he'd brought a cap back with no dick (testes attached to the rear quarters. The entire belly skin was stained yellow as it just sprayed itself. No fences up there to get hung up on so would love to know what actually happened to it.
    veitnamcam, R93 and moosemeat like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    2 years back the 2018 season. We have some enept con officers. A guide took a 15 year old nanny a few years back that was solo and barren and horns where just about touching at it bases. The officer started bagging the guide for filling the tag wrong. Before the guide had to point out the vag. In fairness it was a very Billy like nanny with horns curled pretty smoothly more similar to a Billy and alot of mass down low and very long 10 3/8s just spindly up top. I think that and a few other issues they have had with bears means we bring everything we can easily. We leave a testicle on each rear quarter, take the jaw, and puzzle on the Cape. Maybe its not required now but I swear the last I red the regs for us it was required.

Funny story but the penis on the cape isn't a sure thing lol one of the guides took a Billy that had ripped its dick off somehow. Right between the legs so the penis in front of this shriveled up and effectively disappeared. It was his first year and maybe first Goat as a solo guide and the outfitter lost his shit before he realised he'd brought a cap back with no dick (testes attached to the rear quarters. The entire belly skin was stained yellow as it just sprayed itself. No fences up there to get hung up on so would love to know what actually happened to it.
    I have never killed a Nanny but the best goat I have ever seen was a Nanny.
    I got the spotter on it and thought I was looking at a monster Billy. Hunter was chomping at the bit to go as soon as I gave him a look. Goat was right on the skyline so I wanted to see which way it would go and what I was looking before making a plan. Hunter was getting agitated but goats in my experience are the most frustrating animal to hunt over there. They have no habits you can rely on other than being unpredictable pricks.

Was just about to put my pack on and head out satisfied it had to be a Billy due to being alone and horn size. It was over 11" imo. Huge. Had one final look before I packed away the spotting scope and a kid come flying in and smashed into her for a drink. Then another a short time later. Twins.
    Gutted. Hunter was trying to make all sorts of excuses as to why we should still go for it and didnt relent till I said they need the teets attached to the cape/hide for inspection. If there is milk in them, we are both fucked.

Attached the synopsis for BC Required parts for inspection.

veitnamcam likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have never killed a Nanny but the best goat I have ever seen was a Nanny.
    I got the spotter on it and thought I was looking at a monster Billy. Hunter was chomping at the bit to go as soon as I gave him a look. Goat was right on the skyline so I wanted to see which way it would go and what I was looking before making a plan. Hunter was getting agitated but goats in my experience are the most frustrating animal to hunt over there. They have no habits you can rely on other than being unpredictable pricks.

Was just about to put my pack on and head out satisfied it had to be a Billy due to being alone and horn size. It was over 11" imo. Huge. Had one final look before I packed away the spotting scope and a kid come flying in and smashed into her for a drink. Then another a short time later. Twins.
    Gutted. Hunter was trying to make all sorts of excuses as to why we should still go for it and didnt relent till I said they need the teets attached to the cape/hide for inspection. If there is milk in them, we are both fucked.

Attached the synopsis for BC Required parts for inspection.

Must be a hang over then.thatbthe outfitter has them still bring it out. Makes its funny how stirred up we were chasing this stupid bird through the spruce. They are kind of cool but I prefer the stellar Jay wee have. Like a pretty magpie.

Yeh I had a German guy wanting to shoot a young Lone nanny but had to put the foot down that's we don't knowingly shoot nannies. We don't have a quota yet but if they ever bring it in the outfitter has said he wants us to show a record of only bringing in mature billy goats. He's had that one nanny and a 4 year old Billy that was 10.5 with 5.5 bases so a very nice goat. Would have been a true monster. But they are very hard to judge.

The above statement in red is sooooo true. Its like let's glass great goat country with lots of feed and there's nothing then you see a little scree in the treeline and there's a goat lower than some moose... First Goat I glassed as a wrangler looked huge to me and horns were close so I got the outfitter who was the guide for that hunt to check it out. To which he goes whole fuck that thing must be near the biggest goat he's ever taken from the outfit since he owned it they had a few rippers taken before he brought it and was only guiding. We let the hunter know it was good but not how good. Set off up the valley to try get ahead until the trail ran out then set off on foot to try reach a slide ahead of it to catch it crossing all while I sat on the hill and watched it to keep track on it. I watched it continue that way then double back then climb straight up the vertical face and go sit right on top. Then disappear over then top. They came back after the failed stalk and it did the same thing the next day but its unshootable where it sat. Do day three on this goat we approach from a hanging basin at the back. All on foot so leaving a lt 4:30am we get to the ridge that leads up the the face it's been on. Once we get there about 3pm not only is there no goat but we glass it on the next mountain over right in the edge of the territory. We are almost sure it was the same goat as not many are that big. Luckily we had hauled camp up the mountain so set up a camp at the tree line and the next day took a nice 9 year old Billy in the hanging basin. It was 9.5 but good base's and a beautiful coat. While we headskinned the goat the hunter glassed that same goat back on the face we had first seen him from. So had done a massive loop for no apparent reason apart from embarassing us. Makes hunting them the most rewarding thing.
    veitnamcam and R93 like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Must be a hang over then.thatbthe outfitter has them still bring it out. Makes its funny how stirred up we were chasing this stupid bird through the spruce. They are kind of cool but I prefer the stellar Jay wee have. Like a pretty magpie.

Yeh I had a German guy wanting to shoot a young Lone nanny but had to put the foot down that's we don't knowingly shoot nannies. We don't have a quota yet but if they ever bring it in the outfitter has said he wants us to show a record of only bringing in mature billy goats. He's had that one nanny and a 4 year old Billy that was 10.5 with 5.5 bases so a very nice goat. Would have been a true monster. But they are very hard to judge.

The above statement in red is sooooo true. Its like let's glass great goat country with lots of feed and there's nothing then you see a little scree in the treeline and there's a goat lower than some moose... First Goat I glassed as a wrangler looked huge to me and horns were close so I got the outfitter who was the guide for that hunt to check it out. To which he goes whole fuck that thing must be near the biggest goat he's ever taken from the outfit since he owned it they had a few rippers taken before he brought it and was only guiding. We let the hunter know it was good but not how good. Set off up the valley to try get ahead until the trail ran out then set off on foot to try reach a slide ahead of it to catch it crossing all while I sat on the hill and watched it to keep track on it. I watched it continue that way then double back then climb straight up the vertical face and go sit right on top. Then disappear over then top. They came back after the failed stalk and it did the same thing the next day but its unshootable where it sat. Do day three on this goat we approach from a hanging basin at the back. All on foot so leaving a lt 4:30am we get to the ridge that leads up the the face it's been on. Once we get there about 3pm not only is there no goat but we glass it on the next mountain over right in the edge of the territory. We are almost sure it was the same goat as not many are that big. Luckily we had hauled camp up the mountain so set up a camp at the tree line and the next day took a nice 9 year old Billy in the hanging basin. It was 9.5 but good base's and a beautiful coat. While we headskinned the goat the hunter glassed that same goat back on the face we had first seen him from. So had done a massive loop for no apparent reason apart from embarassing us. Makes hunting them the most rewarding thing.
    No doubt all outfitters have their requirements. I was told by my boss to know the synopsis in and out relating to our territory. So I did my best to study it every chance I got. Every camp has the latest copy.
    Break any rules and you were gone on the spot.
    I made the mistake of pointing out what regs said in relation to what he instructed we should be doing once

I learned that some North Americans could be really articulate with Kiwi genealogy, human anatomy, swearing and poetry in one go.

Stocky and moosemeat like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.