Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: thompson track

Any one know the farmer who has the private land on old te aroha Gordon road that leads up to the skid site on this track.. popped into see him today bout using the logging road via his race..

Spook ???
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1984 View Post
    Any one know the farmer who has the private land on old te aroha Gordon road that leads up to the skid site on this track.. popped into see him today bout using the logging road via his race..
    Do you have no feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Do you have no feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah its fine by me I don't mind the walking, but my only hunting buddy carries a little extra round the mid section stops every half hour for smoko..

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1984 View Post
    A mate of a mate of mine has pretty much exclusive use and won't share it ask away good luck !!
    In saying that they use it heaps and are good hunters but don't get lucky . I m sure eventually they will though !
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Is the track open to 4wd and motorbikes at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-N View Post
    Is the track open to 4wd and motorbikes at the moment?
    Plenty bikes were going through the other day but rest assured it's not an easy track. Slips all the way along it and big slips at that however some nice folk have been up there with chainsaws and opened it up a lot more.
    Fella the other day got his quad through.

Tracks meant to be closed but that's not stopped anyone.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    A mate of a mate of mine has pretty much exclusive use and won't share it ask away good luck !!
    In saying that they use it heaps and are good hunters but don't get lucky . I m sure eventually they will though !
    Oh shit thanks for info didn't know your mate of a mate owned the race not the farmer... The farmer said he has a group of people he lets use his race.. maybe not so exclusive
    Happy and Tasman like this.

I was up on Friday, on the track and in to stride at 4.30. Got to hunting grounds about 6.15, i'd swear that walk is getting bloody longer and longer!
    Anyway spooked one and had it's eyes light up in the head torch beam but couldn't illuminate the body, damn thing stared at me, ran round a mound of dirt, looked back at me and then took off. Couldn't of been more than 5 metres away, now away to buy a stronger head torch
    Wondering if that would be considered spotlighting?

Lot's of sign but after a while looking around couldn't find any fresh poo so checked my usual spots, had a yarn with a couple of decent blokes that were heading in deeper and headed out.

Quite honestly now looking at a quad to cover that distance and damn site faster.
    Nick-D likes this.

Been meaning to have a wander up there for a while. hour and 3/4 isn't to bad a stroll

It's not the worst Nick but also some bloody big soggy puddles to work around. Muddy enough to lose a leg and boot to it.
    I wouldn't fancy the walk out that's all.

Yeah its still a solid hike for a day hunt, Those sorts of obsticles can definatley deplete the tanks a bit. Especially if you have a heavy pack

Took my quad bike up there a couple of weeks ago and the signs claimed the track was closed for forestry work. Went to the workers huts and they gave the OK to continue.
    It would be a big walk for recovery of deer but a quad makes quick work of it.

Was up there yesterday, went up as far as the crossing with the north south track from the Te Aroha side, pretty easy going but would definitely have preferred to be one of the blokes on a four wheeler. Still plenty of big divots in the road before the forestry area. Anyway camped up on the top, grass is lush, some of it has been rooted up by pigs, heard a shot on about 9 o'clock and had a friendly possum pestering me in the night. nice walk down today again a few motor bikers and the 4x4 club was getting ready to head up as I came out. Cheers to the bloke who gave me his lighter yesterday meant I was able to heat up a back country for dinner. Hope the shot I heard was a success.
    kimjon likes this.