Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Trip to clements mill road - Anyone keen to go?

TJM
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Let us know how you get on mate

I am definitely going this coming weekend seeing there is nothing else I can for see to throw a spanner in the works and bugger up my plans.
    Noticed a camp site on the right hand site about half way to the end of the rd, two weekends ago saw a few campers there so as we were suffering from watching the AB game the night before thought we would have an easy explore. We parked the car and started off up the ridge, which we found was marked with pink tape to the top and over the other side a couple of kms in. We didn't spot any thing on the way in and so we cut off the ridge and sidled around the various gullies heading back for the road. There was a small amount of sign but not nearly as much as we had seen on our last trip.
    About 500m from Clements rd on the way back I heard a twig break and signaled my mate to stop. I spotted what I thought was a resting deer, grey shape 50m down but dismissed it as being too obvious especially as we wern't being particularly quite, it was stationary and looked a bit like a log as well.
    I continued down the hill and next thing the log jumped up and shot away, a mature Sika stag , backed up by some clumped droppings and a couple of nicely worn trees where he had been scraping his antlers a couple of weeks ago.
    Its still worth a look as there are a few deer roaming around. We will go back to a different spot in a couple of weeks time, this spot must be well used judging by the worn track and various tapes hung on the tree branches.

Fingers crossed I am all go for this weekend
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Clements Road is closed...nah, just joking.
    Dundee, BRADS, Gibo and 1 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Good one Spook that cheered me upDont fail 308 or the shit will be deep from here I get the feeling!! Good luck go slay something
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Clements Road is closed...nah, just joking.
    Ya cheeky bugger

Dont fail 308 or the shit will be deep from here I get the feeling!! Good luck go slay something
    Well a puncture when I got to work yesterday tried to bugger my week especially when the mechanic did not change it for me as he got too tied up and the jack in my wagon was buggered (one of those japanese bottle jack things which collapsed on me last time i used it) and was damn near stranded until one of the digger drivers turned up and decided to go get the 12 tonne digger, his wheel brace and a strop to lift the wagon up to change the tyre so off to repco this morning after being to the tyre shop to get a new jack!!!!!

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

So its all on!!!??? Weathers looking good for Saturday
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

yup rained off at the moment from work if I hear nothing between 10am and midday tomorrow regarding work I am outta here I just need to get some ammo loaded up today while I have the chance to do it got the cases prepped already just need to put in powder and projectile, will be using the load I used at the field shoot.

yup rained off at the moment from work if I hear nothing between 10am and midday tomorrow regarding work I am outta here I just need to get some ammo loaded up today while I have the chance to do it got the cases prepped already just need to put in powder and projectile, will be using the load I used at the field shoot.
    Whats ya load for ya 270 mate? Brass, primer, powder, pill etc

You only need to load one, that shouldn't take long...turn your phone off, fuck work and the boss...3680 other members are hanging in there for this hunt and it's results...make sure you cycle any reloads through your rifle before you step off into the bush...we don't want to hear any sad-arse stories.
    Pointer, Toby, Happy and 2 others like this.

Good luck Hunter270
    Toby likes this.

ARE WE THERE YET!!!!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Whats ya load for ya 270 mate? Brass, primer, powder, pill etc
    The load is not a very fast one but the rifle likes it and is good for 300 meters (not that you ever shoot that far in the bush) and groups 0.9 inch at 100 meters
    My brew is
    51.5 grains H4350(AR2209), 130 grain hornady SP flat base, FC brass, Federal 210 (Changing to CCI200 one the federals have gone as the CCI are easier to get), overall length of cartridge is 3.26 inches

I do have a stiffer load developed with a 53.5 grain charge of 2209 with sierra gamekings but they need another go at the range to sight the scope to them and double check the accuracy but I will use up the lighter loads first before changing over to them, my speer reloading manual that I got with my reloading kit says I can go upto 56 grains of 2209 but when I went to 55 grains they were giving a 3 inch group.

make sure you cycle any reloads through your rifle before you step off into the bush...we don't want to hear any sad-arse stories.
    Yup I always do that @Spook to avoid the round would not chamber scenario I just don't want anything to let me down while out there

ARE WE THERE YET!!!!!
    It is not friday yet I have to find out if I am working tomorrow or not before I can do the early bugger off tomorrow

The load is not a very fast one but the rifle likes it and is good for 300 meters (not that you ever shoot that far in the bush) and groups 0.9 inch at 100 meters
    My brew is
    51.5 grains H4350(AR2209), 130 grain hornady SP flat base, FC brass, Federal 210 (Changing to CCI200 one the federals have gone as the CCI are easier to get), overall length of cartridge is 3.26 inches

I do have a stiffer load developed with a 53.5 grain charge of 2209 with sierra gamekings but they need another go at the range to sight the scope to them and double check the accuracy but I will use up the lighter loads first before changing over to them, my speer reloading manual that I got with my reloading kit says I can go upto 56 grains of 2209 but when I went to 55 grains they were giving a 3 inch group.
    Sweet as. Im at 51.5 grn of 2209 with 140 accubonds, norma brass, fed primers. Only getting 2720 fps but its bloody accurate. Might look at hotting it up once i get more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    ARE WE THERE YET!!!!!
    Shuddup in the back seat while daddy's driving, we are not even on the road yet. Spot v dubs or something to pass the time (what the hell was that game called)
    hunter308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Sweet as. Im at 51.5 grn of 2209 with 140 accubonds, norma brass, fed primers. Only getting 2720 fps but its bloody accurate. Might look at hotting it up once i get more time.
    I am restricted on time aswell as I work 6 days a week when the weather permits all that load I gave the data for was meant for was to get me up and running with some ammo my rifle likes and work on the velocity side of it when time and money permits as I really have to make my powder stretch out at the moment I will take a few of the hotter loads with me to retest at the range if I get time on my way home. Ironically that 51.5 grain charge of H4350 seems to be the accuracy load going by all of my searches on it regarding the 270 and H4350 even though to some that load is a fairly "glacial" (cold load) for the 270