Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Turkey hunting

Hey @Bavarian_Hunter happy to help you out if you're looking for somewhere, as one of my mates owns a B&B in the South Waikato and sometimes the Turkeys after a good nesting season like we've just had can be at almost plague proportions. This years clutches have matured to around 10 per Adult pair, but the lateness of summer and the black crickets has meant we've put off culling until at least June.

Last November we helped out a local farmer with albeit a pretty large land holding, but got onto flock after flock on the day, between 4 of us on a mixture of Shot Gun and Centrefire we accounted for quite a few before they skedaddled onto the neighbors property. We used it as a fundraiser that both Craig and I are involved with serving guys post cancer treatment which worked out pretty well too.

They reckon that about 7 fully grown birds eat as much as a dairy cow a day so I guess we're helping things along in that neck of the woods and we've had plenty happy in the area to let us keep the numbers down. I usually let the participants hunt with shotty's or their choice of caliber and carry a .223 to get any obviously wounded birds making a bee line out of there and carry out so we don't leave any messy stuff behind. We also use the Breasts, Legs and offal where we can. The Turkey Pate from the last lot was awesome!

Craigs Place is Trout Heaven Bed and Breakfast Accommodation - Te Awamutu, Kihikihi, Maungatautari, Wharepapa South - B & B and has his contact details on there. Tell him Paul sent you from on here. This may work well If you're looking for somewhere to stay locally - and Craig and Wendy will definitely look after you well. Otherwise drop me a PM and we'll see if we can sort something for you...

BTW there's no Deer in the Valley either OK...

Cheers CD.

There was a flock of them roosting in the trees of an old girlfriend's Dairy farm round Maungatawhari, we'd just go down at night and wack 'em out of the tree with a sickle then roast the whole bird in a bag the next night, bloody good. Her old man just chucked it in the scolding hot water from the cow shed and the feathers fell out.

Thanks for the help all. I'll get in touch when plans are a little further along.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk