Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: USA Hunting 2022

Not this trip you've missed out on getting an OTC Idaho tag that you need for where I'm going. But if you're serious its definitely doable but the real challenge now is drawing a good tag. Was much easier 7 years ago when i first went. Colorado does have OTC elk tags that you can just rock up and buy at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by cb14 View Post
    Not this trip you've missed out on getting an OTC Idaho tag that you need for where I'm going. But if you're serious its definitely doable but the real challenge now is drawing a good tag. Was much easier 7 years ago when i first went. Colorado does have OTC elk tags that you can just rock up and buy at Walmart.
    Hi Cb14,

When are the season dates for Colorado elk?

-Inder

do you have to be a us citizen to bring guns into the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    Hi Cb14,

When are the season dates for Colorado elk?

-Inder
    They change each year but heres the dates for 2021 for rifle:
    ​Separate limited elk (1st season) ​Oct. 16-20
    ​Combined deer/elk (2nd season) Oct. 30-Nov. 7
    Combined deer/elk ​(3rd season) Nov. 13–19
    ​Combined limited deer/elk (4th season) ​Nov. 24–28
    Inder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Howa1500 View Post
    do you have to be a us citizen to bring guns into the country?
    No. In fact its easier for us to get a rifle into the US than for us to bring our own rifle back to NZ lol

I camped in there for two weeks with bear and elk tags back in the late eighties. We came in through the yellow jacket mine. Saw a few bear but all young or sows with cubs but no elk because the cunning buggers in fish and game open the low blocks first because the elk are up high then open the high blocks last after the snow has pushed the elk down. We had two horses for each person two cover some ground. If you’re flying into the river and walking the river would be best chance for deer because that’s where the grass is. Very little on the mountain sides. Hope your fit. Good luck. Beautiful in summer terrible in winter lol Love the place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cb14 and rugerman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gregdudehunter View Post
    I camped in there for two weeks with bear and elk tags back in the late eighties. We came in through the yellow jacket mine. Saw a few bear but all young or sows with cubs but no elk because the cunning buggers in fish and game open the low blocks first because the elk are up high then open the high blocks last after the snow has pushed the elk down. We had two horses for each person two cover some ground. If you’re flying into the river and walking the river would be best chance for deer because that’s where the grass is. Very little on the mountain sides. Hope your fit. Good luck. Beautiful in summer terrible in winter lol Love the place

Great to hear about your trip - thanks! Looks like yellow jacket is slightly south of where i fly into. I've heard the elk numbers are low so not getting a elk tag and it would be a mission to sort out the meat too without horses. Using horses would be my preference but happy to fly right into the middle of the wilderness. And yes will be walking the rivers and glassing from there. If there is a big snow fall that will definitely help find the animals. I will actually apply for a draw tag in the same area but a later season (Nov) when the deer will be rutting.

I'm pretty fit and training for the coast to coast and will keep training right up to Oct when i head over.

Bringing guns into the States is very easy. The problem right now is finding ammunition. I’m in CA where we have to use non-toxic, which is next to impossible to find.

FYI: one can buy a muzzleloader over the counter without any background checks or time delays. It also can give one more options for hunting seasons.

Scotty

If you learn to laugh at yourself, you will never be left unamused.

Just got results for Arizona and missed out on an elk tag. Utah results next, then I'll apply in New Mexico & Montana.

Anyone else applying in USA this year?
    rugerman likes this.

I fly into the Frank Church once or twice a year for work. It is amazing country for sure…the reason that you go in there is the experience of that BIG country. I’ll be interested to hear how that hunting stacks up to climbing the mountains of NZ.
    cb14 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    I fly into the Frank Church once or twice a year for work. It is amazing country for sure…the reason that you go in there is the experience of that BIG country. I’ll be interested to hear how that hunting stacks up to climbing the mountains of NZ.
    Are you hunting in WA this year Joe? BTW i went to Oregon State Uni, just south of you in Corvallis. Hope to get back to OR to hunt some day.
    Joe Schmo likes this.

Damn small world brother. I went to OSU. Class of ‘06.
    Oregon is the second worst hunting in the west, Washington is the worst. I usually hunt WA, ID and some other random state starting with spring bear.
    cb14 likes this.

Ha! small world alright. I was there 1993-4. Awesome place and had a great time. Shame about the hunting. Would like to spend some time around Bend, but I have heard its change a bit over the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    Oregon is the second worst hunting in the west, Washington is the worst.

I’d say California is the worst. A lot of the game stay on private property where there is less pressure. Then one has to pay a guide to gain access. Pig hunting runs $850-$1500 USD.

The public lands get overrun with hunters.

Scotty
    If you learn to laugh at yourself, you will never be left unamused.

Quote Originally Posted by cb14 View Post
    Last week I got my mule deer tag for Idaho, so unless COVID messes up my plans again, I'll be hunting central Idaho in the Frank Church Wilderness. Flying into the River Of No Return for a week to hunt deer, lion, bear and wolf. Then plan to hunt Montana for a couple of weeks, should draw deer and pronghorn tags up there.

Anyone else heading over to America to hunt next year?

Happy to help if you need any info. I have a good understanding of the regulations in the western states.

I've lived in Bozeman for the past two decades and hunted all over the state. Happy to provide some intel on Montana hunting if you need some. I don't have enough posts for a PM yet, but might get there sooner than later.

Wouldn't recommend Colorado this year. No water down there. None. Good chance the whole state's going to be on fire this summer. Northern Idaho and Montana have gotten lucky with some late season snows. Frank Church trip should be amazing.
    cb14 likes this.