Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Waipakihi Labour Weekend

Gorgeous spot on a nice day.

My pick is hunt down closer to the valley floor. North facing gullys. Only the odd one will be above the bush edge.

Early December: its a whole new ball game

XR500

The faces under the dog in the pic are good this time of the year. Get down the rocky spurs off the main ridge and glass into the warm gully heads.

Also the country on the right (sort of sth/east I guess) as you pass the Urchin trig across the main creek is warm and deer are in there all winter. Drop down and glass across into the windfall. Or cross the creek and bush stalk it. Its thick but gets better up the creek on the true left.

You walk past a lot of deer between the trig and the river. I used to meat hunt it during the winter in the window after a southerly had been though. Down on the right of the trig as you head up is lower and warmer than the rest of the area.
    Last edited by Tahr; 20-10-2021 at 02:09 PM.
    XR500 likes this.

gmm
    Yep been in there a lot over the years, if you head up towards junction tops behind the hut there are a number of gullies and hollows where you get a lot of deer moving after the rain.
    Always take a tent as turned up at the hut once not realising it was a long weekend and found 27 trampers there, hut can be a bit like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates "you never know what your going to get"
    There was always good numbers of deer in there but the last time I was there there had been a search and destroy program going on as found quite a few carcasses and shotgun shells, was a while back so numbers may have come back.
    good luck.