Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: this weekend

Purely the reason I have my gun set up so I can drop the scope and run open sights,rain not so much of an issue especially this time of year when it’s still warm when wet.
    XR500 likes this.

there actually wasnt much rain (or wind) just a few short downpours it was humid as and the place was almost deserted one of the team made sure there was venny to take home.....a good weekend all round
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If I have doubts about the weather, I still go.
    Over the past few years weather forecasts appear to have become 'weaponised'. I.e. 'campers flee' Cyclone X due to smash... or some such inflammatory garbage, for what purpose I can only surmise.

Learn to read what you can see in the sky, go well prepared, don't get forced to cross a swollen stream/river and don't let a dodgy weather forecast put you off. Here in the CNI the past several weeks of forecasts have been about 70% Wrong

i.e. Carols in Taupo for Xmas was cancelled about 4 days out due to a nasty weather forecast...and the day turned out to be pretty OK
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Over the past few years weather forecasts appear to have become 'weaponised'. I.e. 'campers flee' Cyclone X due to smash... or some such inflammatory garbage, for what purpose I can only surmise.

Learn to read what you can see in the sky, go well prepared, don't get forced to cross a swollen stream/river and don't let a dodgy weather forecast put you off. Here in the CNI the past several weeks of forecasts have been about 70% Wrong

i.e. Carols in Taupo for Xmas was cancelled about 4 days out due to a nasty weather forecast...and the day turned out to be pretty OK

All of this.

Terrible forecast for where I hunt yesterday if you look at the maps but my local knowledge and reading into the forecast told me:

Easterlies are warm
    Breaking them down the rain bars were 1mm/hr for the evening hunt. pffft
    10km/hr wind. pffft
    Fallow are often out in the rain. Its dressing on their salad.

Yep, I got a wet bum but had an enjoyable afternoon. The worst part was trudging around in a full cow-cockies set of rain gear.
    As predicted the Fallow were out and about
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Have shot a lot of deer in the rain over the years,seems to dull their senses a bit ..

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Have shot a lot of deer in the rain over the years,seems to dull their senses a bit ..
    like Blondes.
    camenzie likes this.

I guess the Met service were permanently scarred by Bola, and ever since have erred on the side of (extreme) caution.

Bit of a shame really, accurate forecasts would seem to be something lots of people would find handy.
    tetawa, Micky Duck, RUMPY and 1 others like this.

the big snow dumps we saw down here in early 2000s caused a shite load of damage......and the big winds 3-4 years ago did the same,irrigators have to be moved till parralel to wind,tied down to anything the farmers can find or drive to them.... the 2nd time we got huge winds the power went out before they got around... the flow on effect was parched pastures and poor income for rest of season.... kind of understandable they push panic button...still a pain in arse all the same.
    75/15/10 black powder matters