Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What do you take for food while hunting?

Wife gets replace through work. I put 1 scoop in my drink bottle just for a bit of flavour. For some reason, I always got a headache from it. But in saying that, since I have cut out sugar in coffee, headaches have gone.

Leathel - I will give you a 580gm pot next month when we catch up

All I take is energy nuts, dried fruit, Rice,energy bar, tuna may take bake beans (take out of can) and home made meals. Not heavy meals. I don't really take meat as i would rather take it out from the bush. I also take plenty of water in a bladder. Might have a black coffee at night. The less time on cooking the better for me. I don't see the point in having a big fry up in the morning when I would be rather hunting
    ebf likes this.

There was an article in NZ Hunter (by a guy called Allan Jackson) on hydration, I've put up a copy here

Spill

Basically, to get ya trace elements without spending too much, the recipe is

per 100g Sea salt, add 2 teaspoons crushed epsom salts and 1 small teaspoon Cream of Tartar for Magnesium and Potassium respectively.
    Shake it up and add a teaspoon per 2L or so of water until you can just taste it

Works for me and I've been using it over a year now.

I heard an urban legend that the kids (sorry, the youf) of today had a belief that the blue Powerade could fix hangovers. It may be confirmation bias but I've seen a few people shuffling home at early hours chugging away at the stuff. Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Wife gets replace through work. I put 1 scoop in my drink bottle just for a bit of flavour. For some reason, I always got a headache from it. But in saying that, since I have cut out sugar in coffee, headaches have gone.

Leathel - I will give you a 580gm pot next month when we catch up
    powerade etc is best taken as the odd sip while drinking straight water. the amounts of ingredients in there (not all effective and nit all the required ones) are more than you actually need. water is still my preference. those drinks shift a lot of fluid around your system.

I'm 87kg and 13% body fat at the moment. my lean muscle mass requires 2700 cal per day on my standard training regime. at home I get those calories through veges and meat with minimal processed foods etc. in the Bush that is not so easy but I don't tend to binge on foods that would take me over the rrequired energy levels. a lot of the time it's a lack of water or poor timing of food that makes you feel tired rather than requiring higher energy foods which give sugar spikes followed by lows

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    powerade etc is best taken as the odd sip while drinking straight water. the amounts of ingredients in there (not all effective and nit all the required ones) are more than you actually need. water is still my preference. those drinks shift a lot of fluid around your system.

I'm 87kg and 13% body fat at the moment. my lean muscle mass requires 2700 cal per day on my standard training regime. at home I get those calories through veges and meat with minimal processed foods etc. in the Bush that is not so easy but I don't tend to binge on foods that would take me over the rrequired energy levels. a lot of the time it's a lack of water or poor timing of food that makes you feel tired rather than requiring higher energy foods which give sugar spikes followed by lows
    That all makes a great deal of sense HH however don't forget that higher levels of exertion will burn more calories which will need to either come from greater intake of calories or come from your musculature or body fat due to caloric debt.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post

I heard an urban legend that the kids (sorry, the youf) of today had a belief that the blue Powerade could fix hangovers. It may be confirmation bias but I've seen a few people shuffling home at early hours chugging away at the stuff. Bless.
    yeah because when one is dehydrated from the night befores binge drinking session, you must replace the fluids, sugars etc that you pissed out. Apparently chocolate milk is the go too

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    That all makes a great deal of sense HH however don't forget that higher levels of exertion will burn more calories which will need to either come from greater intake of calories or come from your musculature or body fat due to caloric debt.
    2 hours a day doesnt need any extra intake but anything after the initial 2 hours I work on around 650 cal an hour.that's relatively generous allowing for a fair bit of altitude gain (really cold conditions it is a bit higher) good protein intake (number of small serves a day because you don't store protein) helps you feel fresher when you wake in the morning. my food looks something like this

1 Cup oats with milk powder, piece of fruit

can of tuna/chicken can put it in a snap lock bag to save carrying cans home (sometimes take pre cooked chicken for first day)

tuna/chicken, precooked kumara, bit of salad or something

Same as morning snack

backcountry meal

alongside that I have water throughout the day with some glutamine.

this would be for a one-two night trip. otherwise I rely a lot more on dehydrated stuff. as I said I used to be pretty basic in my food I took but since paying more attention to it energy, motivation and concentration have all stayed up throughout the day

Just back from 5 days on St James tops. Not enough water around to fill a filter bottle. We struggled to get enough water at camping level and had to descend eventually because of it. We both took 2L up to 1150m campsite and that lasted the first day!!