Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: when is cattle feral?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Read the original post in this thread ...

Jeez why the fuck would you risk prosecution shooting a cow / steer or bull ? Where is the sport in that?

Can't shoot any deer ?
    BRADS likes this.

Yep. Did that. So I guess the OP has a special clause on the permit???? Mine says the conditions are standard., so assuming they are all the same. What does your permit say Spanners?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Yep. Did that. So I guess the OP has a special clause on the permit???? Mine says the conditions are standard., so assuming they are all the same. What does your permit say Spanners?
    Dunno
    Don't have one
    roig likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Dunno
    Don't have one
    Lol , says it all

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Jeez why the fuck would you risk prosecution shooting a cow / steer or bull ? Where is the sport in that?

Can't shoot any deer ?
    That pretty much sums up most of the hunters I've run into down there mate
    There's no deer deer in the ruahines yeah no you are right......
    As you watch these Rambos walk past deer from the shed.
    Nathan F likes this.

Lol , says it all
    Says what??
    Are you trying to insinuate something or just being a mouthy fuck?
    bully likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    If it has not got a bell around the neck and is more than 500m from an habitation it is feral; at least that is the definition of a feral cat in France :-) which French hunters have pleasure to regulate!

No officer the cow had no bell around its neck it was 800 meters into the bush. Trouble is I still can't figure out what it said and it was wearing a beret!
    That's a whatchamacallit! Isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    it says hunters should use their grey matter. If an animal is ear marked, tagged or branded it is likely to be owned by someone. If they are near an unfenced bush fringe and pastural land they are likely to be owned by someone. If they are common domestic colour phases they are likely owned by someone..................

Well said, and succinctly condensed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Says what??
    Are you trying to insinuate something or just being a mouthy fuck?
    Touché xx

Touché xx
    Love it. Just like the old days. The name over the pub door makes no difference.

I never get involved in a pub scrap, but by jeez I love watching them
    Nathan F and Maca49 like this.

Cattle are feral when they are 3 feet behind you and "cross"
    Blisters likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Banned
    Funny thread and out of all of it toby hit the nail on the cows head.True story while in the Waiwapas which tahr knows well we got clouded out so decided to walk down the track towards Pihiatua halfway down the track we noticed a cow pat and also a stag print next to it so we decided we had time to kill so we followd this is still on doc land.Then the track became real well maintained and opend up care of this beefy by know we were around 7 kms from the ute then we could hear the odd crash so we slowed down and crept along the track and stopped!.After listening for a minute we heard crunch crunch crunch and just up on the bank around 10m away this beefy was having a munch he then spotted us and froze,both myself and my mate froze aswell because he was easily pushing 800kgs ad he was staring us down, we noticed no ear tag and looked at each other thinking the same thingwhile still pointing our rifles at him incase he charged us we then conceded we were to far from the ute!!!!!.Any closer he would have been smoked no question..........no eartag or visable branding and on doc land eating his way thru the forest!!!!! he's free game IMO.Just a funny but true story really he was just two fucking big to butcher
    Toby likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    That pretty much sums up most of the hunters I've run into down there mate
    There's no deer deer in the ruahines yeah no you are right......
    As you watch these Rambos walk past deer from the shed.
    theres heaps of deer in the ruahines mate .........just none 5 mins from the carpark
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Funny thread and out of all of it toby hit the nail on the cows head.True story while in the Waiwapas which tahr knows well we got clouded out so decided to walk down the track towards Pihiatua halfway down the track we noticed a cow pat and also a stag print next to it so we decided we had time to kill so we followd this is still on doc land.Then the track became real well maintained and opend up care of this beefy by know we were around 7 kms from the ute then we could hear the odd crash so we slowed down and crept along the track and stopped!.After listening for a minute we heard crunch crunch crunch and just up on the bank around 10m away this beefy was having a munch he then spotted us and froze,both myself and my mate froze aswell because he was easily pushing 800kgs ad he was staring us down, we noticed no ear tag and looked at each other thinking the same thingwhile still pointing our rifles at him incase he charged us we then conceded we were to far from the ute!!!!!.Any closer he would have been smoked no question..........no eartag or visable branding and on doc land eating his way thru the forest!!!!! he's free game IMO.Just a funny but true story really he was just two fucking big to butcher
    If you were getting near to Priest's bush on Kelly's there used to be quite a few genuine wild cattle down there, although most of them were in Kelly's scrub and not the public stuff. I meat hunted around there and was often dodging around them.

Wouldn't have shot one though because for one thing I didn't like to leave any evidence of my presence.

They are all gone now. The new owner has rounded them up and shot what they couldn't get to the yards.