Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Where Will The Deer Be?

  1. #1
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,833

    Where Will The Deer Be?

    Right, I've taken it easy for over a day now and it is driving me nuts. So busted up and all I'm off for a wander with @TimeRider to see if we can find something. Now being new to this deer hunting a quick idea on where they're likely to be at this time of year, up high, down low, in between, everywhere? Will probably scout around for some green grassy patches. Sound about right?
    veitnamcam, mikee and Mathias like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  2. #2
    Rabbit Herder StrikerNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Canterbury
    Posts
    1,233
    Saw a decent number this morning, spread between 750 and 950m ASL. Lovely summer coats right now. Up in the sun as it hits the high faces..

    Name:  IMG_1879.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  506.6 KB
    gadgetman, Shearer and Ranal like this.

  3. #3
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,063
    where the tucker is.....which can be deceiving as long grasses can go a bit rank and the animals always prefer new growth.
    If I was to go for a hunt now I would be looking at the bush/tussock margin/gullyheads on the more south facing bits at first and last light.
    Not to say they wont be in the river flats but most will be up higher I would think.
    outdoorlad, gadgetman, R93 and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  4. #4
    270 King of the Calibres oraki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CSI Flatlander
    Posts
    2,345
    Pfft. Another I dont want your spot X, but......

    But since you appear to be a helpful joker on here, you should get a couple of hotspots. I can't help you but someone will.
    I saw another couple on the road last night, so they're still snooping around, but that's no help either sorry.
    gadgetman, Pengy and BLABLANZ like this.

  5. #5
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,833
    Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    Pfft. Another I dont want your spot X, but......

    But since you appear to be a helpful joker on here, you should get a couple of hotspots. I can't help you but someone will.
    I saw another couple on the road last night, so they're still snooping around, but that's no help either sorry.
    I'm not after hotspots. That would be like knowing what you're getting for Xmas. Just want an idea of what terrain they're likely to be found in this time of year.

    On a side note: Anyone know if the rib can get unhooked/broken/something in your back, coz it sure feels like it is hurting there as well as the break in the side?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,298
    I dislodged/inflamed the rib/spine cartilage joint bit. Literally could not breath/walk/move as it constantly spasms. That would as 7 years ago and now it gets inflamed pretty easy and is an all round shit time
    Maca49 likes this.

  7. #7
    Member Shearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tasman
    Posts
    3,030
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I dislodged/inflamed the rib/spine cartilage joint bit. Literally could not breath/walk/move as it constantly spasms. That would as 7 years ago and now it gets inflamed pretty easy and is an all round shit time
    Not being able to breath is not good for your general well being.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

  8. #8
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,063
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'm not after hotspots. That would be like knowing what you're getting for Xmas. Just want an idea of what terrain they're likely to be found in this time of year.

    On a side note: Anyone know if the rib can get unhooked/broken/something in your back, coz it sure feels like it is hurting there as well as the break in the side?
    If you have broken ribs it is quite likely you have stretched/torn the muscles that tie them together also which can be nearly as painful as the breaks.

    The good news is there is nothing you can do for it.

    But be thankful you have not split your sternum, been there and would not wish it on anyone.
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 28-12-2016 at 07:13 PM.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  9. #9
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    2,440
    VC is right, nothing you can do for ribs other than applying a heat pack / wheat bag on a regular basis. Been there done that. I busted mine a couple of times with rugby & motocross, think I'd rather break an arm than ribs.

    Animals will be moving up the hill with the fresh growth. Good luck.

  10. #10
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,833
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If you have broken ribs it is quite likely you have stretched/torn the muscles that tie them together also which can be nearly as painful as the breaks.

    The good news is there is nothing you can do for it.

    But be thankful you have not split your sternum, been there and would not wish it on anyone.
    Excellent, that makes sense. It feels a hell of a lot better walking round than sitting or trying to sleep where there is pressure on the ribs so should be good to go.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    canterbury
    Posts
    976
    You won't find any mate .... they're all in my freezer.

    Good luck with the rib. I broke all mine on the right a couple of years ago and its a bitch !
    BLABLANZ likes this.

  12. #12
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,833
    Thanks fellas. That tells me where I should look.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  13. #13
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,833
    Reckon it would be good to get TimeRider to carry her rifle. I think that she earned the privilege at the @Toby shoot.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  14. #14
    Member Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Te Awamutu, Waikato
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Not being able to breath is not good for your general well being.
    I can confirm this. They taught me that in medic school.

  15. #15
    Member HNTMAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,861
    Not sure on what part ofbthe country you are at. But they are where you find them. No hard fast rules. Start low. Move high. Slow when there is sign.

    Hamish

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. First deer with my son
    By Feral in forum Hunting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 31-07-2014, 09:02 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 06:31 AM
  3. What Deer See
    By 303Guy in forum Hunting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 30-12-2013, 02:27 PM
  4. The deer that got away
    By Munsey in forum Off topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-03-2013, 01:01 PM
  5. Fat deer
    By JoshC in forum Hunting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!