Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Where Will The Deer Be?

I reckon river flats, side creeks,etc are still worth a look especially if it's somewhere that's above sea level where the spring growth is late getting to it.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

You need to come to Wanganui with us, hell there's plenty there and you can walk the flats!
    tetawa and mikee like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hey @gadgetman maybe your cracked / broken rib is too damaged. But we used to, when we had fairly good dings from falling of the bike we'd see the team Osteopath who depending on the level of inflammation could realign the spine through gentle rotation and extension then tape you in place. Allowing you to breathe again and often function enough to keep riding the next day.
    Wasn't pleasant but would often allow you to function. Worth the money in my opinion and acc can pay most of it too!

Good luck make sure you get some good rehab!
    Sideshow likes this.

Plenty of deer sign still on the flats around here. Where the grass is, animals still where they were at the very start of spring. In the bush the animals seem to be lower down and mid range from what ive seen. Different areas of the country can be different thou, but do as Hamish said, start low and move higher until the fresh sign is found
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If you have broken ribs it is quite likely you have stretched/torn the muscles that tie them together also which can be nearly as painful as the breaks.

The good news is there is nothing you can do for it.

But be thankful you have not split your sternum, been there and would not wish it on anyone.
    Split mine about 18mnths ago, it sucked, tried to walk it off because I went over the bars on dirt bike in front of a good 100 or so people after basically asking for it being an asshole block passing everyone on the back wheel past the car park at a trail ride, St Johns medics came and forced me into the ambulance and off to the bone shop. It sucked for a good 12 months.
    Try some neoprene strapping around your chest and the affected shoulder GM might help a bit, gave me a bit of comfort.
    Carpe Diem likes this.

The vet told me to carry on as normal, that the damage was already done and the pain would prevent me from doing anymore damage.
    He was right to a point

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Split mine about 18mnths ago, it sucked, tried to walk it off because I went over the bars on dirt bike in front of a good 100 or so people after basically asking for it being an asshole block passing everyone on the back wheel past the car park at a trail ride, St Johns medics came and forced me into the ambulance and off to the bone shop. It sucked for a good 12 months.
    Try some neoprene strapping around your chest and the affected shoulder GM might help a bit, gave me a bit of comfort.
    Mine was a cough and stall low side turning on a steep face then falling downhill chest first into a stump.
    Just when you think its come right you try and lift something and discover it hasent yet.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I reckon river flats, side creeks,etc are still worth a look especially if it's somewhere that's above sea level where the spring growth is late getting to it.
    Definately above sea level
    veitnamcam, deer243, 308 and 3 others like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Classic trail ride stunt & you came unstuck with an audience. Monumental
    gadgetman and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Classic trail ride stunt & you came unstuck with an audience. Monumental
    Wasn't even my bike either, after moving back into a fourstroke for a couple of years my buddy had just got a new YZ250 and we decided to swap for a lap so I could show him how to clear the cobwebs out of a two stroke, was having the time of my life until a rock in the grass put an end to it all as I went off the track and around a group of riders on the back wheel haha, I would have looked real badass if it had panned out
    Mathias likes this.

Wasn't even my bike either, after moving back into a fourstroke for a couple of years my buddy had just got a new YZ250 and we decided to swap for a lap so I could show him how to clear the cobwebs out of a two stroke, was having the time of my life until a rock in the grass put an end to it all as I went off the track and around a group of riders on the back wheel haha, I would have looked real badass if it had panned out
    Mate did that on his brand spanking PE250 on the Lees Valley Road. Sliding it out round the corners and the back wheel gripped on some solid rock, launching him and bike 20m over the side. I must say that from a spectator perspective it looked funny as hell.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I've found some strapping that does make it very comfortable.

Carpe Diem and Ryan_Songhurst like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@gadgetman if you can find a Osteo who also does acupuncture you'll be quids in!

Good strapping tape will be your friend like that new fangled tape all the sports players use these days. Get it done professionally the first time get time rider to take a photo of the placement or mark with a Laundry pen for later replacements and you're away!

Needles and a neurofen/ panadol mix will be your friend to take the edge off for the next wee while.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    @gadgetman if you can find a Osteo who also does acupuncture you'll be quids in!

Good strapping tape will be your friend like that new fangled tape all the sports players use these days. Get it done professionally the first time get time rider to take a photo of the placement or mark with a Laundry pen for later replacements and you're away!

Needles and a neurofen/ panadol mix will be your friend to take the edge off for the next wee while.
    It honestly only has an edge when I'm sitting in a chair or lying down trying to sleep. Walking with a bag on my back actually feels the best of anything. Acupuncture and painkillers have never done anything for me.

Based on the countless hours I spend hunting vs. the number of deer I bring home, I feel I'm uniquely qualified to give you expert advice on where the deer are not. I suggest you invite me along and position me in the opposite direction to where you're intending to hunt, thereby guaranteeing all the deer will be anywhere except the location I'm sitting.

One other guarantee - you're unlikely to see any deer at home so getting out into the hills will definitely improve your chances.

gadgetman, deer243 and matto1234 like this.